News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Bugtussle: Flowerchild Commune =]

Started by irrelevant, March 06, 2015, 08:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Year 17 - more storage, moremoremore!

Year 18 - starting the southern expansion, Village Three.

What this challenge doesn't use very much of: firewood, stone, logs, food (because the BH stores less food than 5 houses would).

What this challenge needs lots of : storage and patience.

I am surprised by how fast this town has amassed its stock of stored food. I keep bumping up against both the production and storage limits.

irrelevant

Village One

Village Two

Village Three - showing what is stored in 6 BHs

irrelevant

Year 21

Took a batch of nomads (I have planted a TP footprint just for this purpose). I have two well-sited hospitals, and in this town I have excess of everything, including housing. Let's push it!

irrelevant

Year 25 - pop 131

Village 1 - now working a mine and a quarry. I have numerous happiness circles buffering the village. Someone on Reddit has claimed that the circles of the mine and quarry detract from health rather than from happiness. @RedKetchup, do you have any opinion on this?

Village 2

Village 3 - provision for the next BH, although I will probably opt to start a new Village 4 to the south, on the far side of the forest node there on the right edge. Village 5 will probably be across the river.

RedKetchup

quote from quarry :

HappinessDescription happiness
{
   HappinessType _happinessType = Detraction;
   int _idleRange = 0;
}

and quote from Mine:

HappinessDescription happiness
{
   HappinessType _happinessType = Detraction;
}

it is stated in the 'hapiness' title. without any mention about health so ... i really dunno where from the 'health thing' they are talking about :S
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

irrelevant

Year 35 - pop 305, on track for 450-500 by year 50.

Villages 1-5; new village 5 across the river.

Took my final batch of nomads in year 33 (don't want to dilute the ending educated %, bad enough that I have to keep shuffling the BH residence deck which results in long student commutes).

Happiness and health both have taken a 1/2 star hit the past couple of years. Not enough cemeteries, and I guess I was sending laborers out too much to work in cold weather. That's the only thing I can figure cause there's plenty of herbs and coats. With no farms and no trade a balanced diet is impossible, but I have had 5 hearts for the past 10-15 years.... ??? :-\   

Village 6 is going to go back in the sticks.

irrelevant

Year 42

New Villages 6 & 7. The next (and likely last) village is going off to the right.

I should be able to finish this up in a couple of hours; unfortunately I won't be able to get back to it until Sunday afternoon or evening. No way to top @Nilla's excellent town, I didn't start my pop push soon enough for that. ;)

edit: I forgot, had a Small Pox outbreak, good hospital placement helped me nip it at patient zero  8) That, and Bobbi Special Doctor House.

irrelevant

Year 50 - pop 484

Was really wanting to get to 500; I just didn't realize what was really necessary to push the pop hard. To truly max it out you would need to close all the BHs at least 2x/year. And that would really interfere with the education situation. My schools were very poorly placed; I had one in each village but I would have fared far better had I located them all together in the center of the map. That would have insured that no students would have had crazy long walks ever. As it was I finished up with a number of female students between 16-25 years old, and that is just counterproductive for pop growth.

Might even have been better off to forgo education entirely for the first 25 years or so. I was never in a situation where I was short of anything (except for the one time early on when I forgot to restart my smith and tailor and got down to just a couple each of coats and tools). :o ;D

Villages 1 - 8

Nilla

It's nice entry. I'm sorry you didn't read the discussion between @rkelly17 and me at the challenge-thread about the schools. I located them at the center of the map. It was probably better than at each village, but @rkelly17´s suggestion is better. I was hoping you would try that.

Otherwise, I think we had about the same strategy. Why do I have more people? I didn't even take any nomads. Except the location of the schools; I am sure; it's the start. At the beginning, I made a lot of experiments, trying to get the couples together. And for about the first 100 inhabitants, I also got every possible couple together. After that, I gave it up and made one big coupling action each year. But if you want to grow fast, the beginning is important. I don't have any saves or screenshots from the beginning, but it looks like I had my first 100 people at about year 15. You were later there. That's the big difference. It would probably have been hard to catch up, even if you had closed the boarding houses several times each year.

I also built more boarding houses, than I really needed. As soon as I got 50 families, I built boardinghouse number 11 and maybe even number 12, and so on, even if some houses would be empty for a while. I can see at your pictures, that you generally have less boardinghouses than possible families. That might also be a reason.

irrelevant

@Nilla the funny thing is, I did read that, but I was too dense to understand how it would work and what it would mean until just now.  :-\ I remember thinking, "well, that won't work, they'll just become uneducated." Duh. Only one uneducated was me!  ;)

I was stingy with the BHs, but I'm pretty sure that I never had families fail to form because of lack of BH space. I had noticed that the Town Hall's number of families would drop significantly each time I closed then re-opened the BHs. Each time that number dropped under the BHx5 limit. Whenever it got close, I built a couple more BHs, or a new village.

You're right about the need to have high pop in mind from the start. That idea applies equally to every Banished town.

I think as an experiment I will go back a few years and see how much difference I can make by trying the school thing.

irrelevant

Year 40 - pop 357

So here's the change: building 4 schools to take up the displaced students.

Going to do this: SAVE THE GAME FIRST!

2x/year (if I can manage it) demolish the BHs. Demo them all, then recover, (you don't have to wait until everyone is back housed, just mostly), then demo/recover them all again.

Then once everyone is settled in, pause again.

Open and staff the overflow schools. Don't forget to assign teachers to the overflow schools after you open them.

Now close the regular schools and reduce the number of teachers. Be careful not to click too many times (yes, I did)! Unpause. Then pause again, open the regular schools, assign teachers, close the overflow schools, and unpause. Unassign the extra teachers.

This is the only change I am going to make to what I did the last 10 years in Bugtussle, except that I will build more BHs if they are required.

irrelevant

Year 50 - pop 626

Well, I'd say that worked pretty well  :D Really interesting what a difference a couple of tweaks can make.

Tedious as hell, though; ten years (that I already had played once) took 4 hours.

Had to build some more fishers, hunters, and gatherers, food demand went through the roof. Unsustainable town without farms.

Might be hard to believe, but that truly is all I changed.

@Nilla @salamander @rkelly17 @Brugle thanks for the very interesting discussion/suggestions! Going to remember this one for sure.

salamander

I'm somewhere in year 28 at the moment, so I may give this a try with the schools, if I have the resources to build the extras.  With all the BH shuffling, I've seen quite a few students up around 19 and 20 years old ... more than I think I've ever noticed before.  Could really make a difference over the remaining 22 years, if I can keep up with the food.

I guess there's a good thing to being the tail end of the cow as far as completing this challenge -- I keep getting all the benefits of your, @Nilla's and @Bracken's work.  ;)

Nilla

Very interesting that it worked that well, I´m glad you tried it.

Congratulations!  :D