News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Bald Hills: uneducated isolation, and now, toolless

Started by irrelevant, March 18, 2015, 07:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

No, please don't build no trading port; I know it's hard but I am very curious of this experiment.

I have thought about one thing; clothes isn't quite so important as tools. What happens if some people have no clothes? I have very little experience of this, but as far as I know, they are only a bit less productive in winter, as they have to get to some warm place more often with ragged clothes. If I had played your game, I would have studied this more careful.

QuoteYMMV with the number of smiths you have and the size of your pop.

Forgive a poor non-English-speaking-person, what is YMMV?

irrelevant

@Nilla I shall resist the lure of the TP (for now anyway), just for you  ;)

I agree that clothes are not as important. It just bugs me to have guys running around in rags. I suppose it is just part of the whole "uneducated isolation" existence. ;) They do get cold faster, they can't work as long, and I suspect (although I have not figured out any way to prove this one way or the other) that ultimately it has some negative impact on individual health.

YMMV = "Your Mileage May Vary." That's an advertising disclaimer used by automobile manufacturers as they are telling you about the amazing the fuel economy of the vehicle they are trying to get you to buy. It's their way of saying, "hey, if you get different results, that's not our fault."

irrelevant

Year 50

The uneducated sine wave has stepped in and saved me from my tool and clothing shortages. For now. :-X

Expanding to the east in the north as well as the center. Soon I'll need to go back and demolish some houses someplace. Don't need more mouths to feed.

The leveling tool is most useful in placing mines, which are so quirky, but you can put them pretty much where you like with just a few clicks.

irrelevant

In the past I have played almost exclusively with disasters off, but lately I've been leaving them on. Also, I mostly have used orchards only sparingly, but in this isolationist town I have planted a number of them.

Is it my imagination, or are orchard infestations the most common disaster? I've had one fire, one crop infestation, and at least a half-dozen orchard infestations.

I'd been growing my orchards in large groves (several adjacent 15x4s), as near the center of this screenshot, but an infestation in such a spot is a real pain, and requires all the orchards in that grove to be ripped out.

The solution is to intersperse the orchards among crop fields, as shown at upper left and upper center.

RedKetchup

:) 500 citizens ... just missing the other 9/10th for a 5k :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Nilla

I have mostly played with disasters on, so I have some experience and yes, I find orchard infestation most common maybe together with pasture infestation.

The best thing to do, when an orchard is sick; delete it! Than is the disease away immediately. You must cut down all trees anyhow and if you delete, the infestation doesn't spread to neighbor orchards.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on April 04, 2015, 12:08:40 PM
I have mostly played with disasters on, so I have some experience and yes, I find orchard infestation most common maybe together with pasture infestation.

The best thing to do, when an orchard is sick; delete it! Than is the disease away immediately. You must cut down all trees anyhow and if you delete, the infestation doesn't spread to neighbor orchards.
I do, as fast as I can, but it seems always to have infected two or three of the 15x4s in that group, so I take all 4 of them out just to be sure.

irrelevant

Now there's something you don't see every day....

RedKetchup

they are very old to have a boy of 19 years :S. it is certainly thier grandchild lol
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

chillzz

most likely the 64/65 y.o. 'mom' visited an italian fertility doctor ;)
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

irrelevant

Year 74

Back around year 56 things were threatening to spiral out of control; pop was climbing and this threatened to wreck the tool situation, so I took drastic action. Shut down about 20 houses for ~4-5 years. This resulted in a crash in first, children and then, pop. I thought I might have gone too far, as I opened the houses back up, all the females that moved in were over 40. Got down to 12 children at one point. But with a few years of micromanaging evictions, eventually the curves turned back around. Had to build a number of houses to get breeders paired up, and that's why I have so many closed houses now. At least I'm not using much stone! Just as needed to build the occasional iron mine. Got more mines on this map, I think, than I have had in all my previous towns combined!

Lots of screenies to show the important town hall panels.

Trizeropz

I dont understand why you have so many tree plantages but dont have taverns. Wouldnt be 2-3 plantages enough for food variety at the moment? Or do you just like how it looks?:D
If i look at another towns i feel jealous. The layout looks so much better than me^^
have fun:)

irrelevant

@Trizeropz I'm getting about 5500-6000 fruit per year, not really so much. Actually it's just about the same as how much wheat and squash I'm bringing in. I believe in having plenty of food stored. 

Yes, I do like the way the orchards look, although I wish they would last longer before they started looking ragged. I know there's a mod that fixes this, but it is way OP.

We each can see the many flaws in our own towns so clearly  ;)

Thanks!

irrelevant

@Trizeropz also, with no trading, there is no point to having taverns. Making ale for your guys to drink is a waste of fruit.

Year 84

Here we go again, up the sine wave roller-coaster. I just have not found the right pace of home-building to eliminate this in an uneducated town. In the early years of Bald Hills I still was building houses as if I had schools.

Uneducated burn through iron at a ferocious rate. And without sheep, clothing is very problematic, despite having 29 hunting cabins; that's one for every 20 pop.