News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

New Pine Flora

Started by Necora, May 22, 2017, 09:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

I have a more or less urgent question, @Necora .

Since I adopted Bartender's NatDiv into Forest Outpost I got
tany's New Flora code where she also adopted NatDiv resources.
I used that code to be compatible with both mods.

I can see from the description of your mod that you don't have
NatDiv resources spawn in NaturalResourceTree.rsc.

My question(s) - what will happen if I want to use all together?
Your mods, New Flora and NatDiv?
Is it possible? Or does that need another patch?

Necora

Hey @kid1293 I didn't think Nat Div changed anything in the naturalresourcetree file? I thought it only changed the models associated with the mushrooms and herbs etc.? Or am I behind in my NAt Div versions?

Necora

@kid1293 to follow up, I looked at the Nat Div download thread and it is at 1.0.1 with little changed between 1.0.0. If that is the case, then if you have the following load order it should work...

Flax Patch
New Pine Flora
New Flora
Pine Set
Nat Div

The only thing that might not work is the gather resources buttons if they have been changed.

I have used Nat Div and the Pine Set and they work beautifully, but not the latest Nat Div version and I have yet to try that with this new patch set up, but going by the change log I don't see any issues.

Bartender

Hardly anything changed between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 of NatDiv, just some spawnrates of the grasses and trees to fix a bug ;).

The current version also indeed doesn't add anything to the tree spawning, it only removes onions and roots from there. In the future we might add some things, but that's for later ;).

kid1293

Thanks to both of you, later I will test.

BTW. Why do some of your trees have so bright leaves, @Necora ?
I don't mean they are an eye-sore but they stand out a bit.

Necora

@Bartender you removed onions and roots? Well mine will add them back in :P

@kid1293 I tested the patches, new flora, pine mod, then nat div and everything worked fine. I tried to download your forest set, but I can't download straight from the website because my internet connection drops out periodically so the download 'completes' when it actually doesn't. I couldn't find the mod on the other link you provided. What resource did you add to your gatherer? If it is the thatch resource then that shouldn't be impacted by these mods and it should all still work.

Also, as for the trees, I noticed that too. I have no idea why the leaves did that. It seems to be the apple tree and the birch tree, the apple especially is now really white. Something has gone wrong with the textures, I'll have to have a look into it.

Bartender

Yes I did, I moved them to the grasses because they don't naturally grow in forests ;). Leaving them in won't do too much harm though, it might just make them a bit more easy to gather.

Necora

Ah fair enough. I remember you mentioning about that, but I've not been able to keep up much with the development of things lately because I just don't have the time.

I was looking at the flowers in my garden earlier, dandelions, little tiny blue ones, wild strawberries, butter cups, and realized there are not many small ground coverings in the game. How easy would it be to add another spawning layer that put small wild flowers such as these on the map, but for decoration only? I'm thinking of a mesh that is the size of a game tile, but instead of large plants, which we have a lot of now, have it so that it is lots of tiny planes each with the texture of a flower. I guess dandelions can be used for herbs.

kid1293

@Necora - about NatDiv. I added Bartender's annual plants to gatherer and herbalist.
There are plenty of plants if these 'get lost in transportation' between mods.
No worry. :)

Necora

@kid1293 riiight I'm with you now! I didn't realize things had been moved to the grasses and new things added. I'm playing through now and just figuring things out. In that case, playing with the Pine Set and this patch should not effect your gatherer's ability to pick up Nat Div resources from the grasses. It will, however, prevent the vanilla gatherer from picking them up, as I have coded an override in the Pine Set to add my resources that I added to vanilla trees are picked up by the vanilla gatherer. Also, your gatherer will not pick up Pine Set resources, and my gatherer will not pick up the new Nat Div resources. But, the foresters should pick up everthing regardless, as I // out the code for pick up profession, so when the foresters clear space for trees they will harvest non-gatherable items regardless of what set they come from.

What a web we have made!

I might have to sit down and draw this all out like I did with the flax chain to figure out how we can incorporate everything. I don't want to make a load of patches for lots of little things, but seeing as these are all well used mods it would make sense to have them all fully compatible.

brads3

i agree a chart would be helpful. we all play with different mod sets and orders. that is good though since it gives players choice on how they want to set their games up. i actually prefer individual mods over the CC MM. i think by being able to adjust the order,players can fix most problems or conflicts. i think of the mega mod as someone shoving stuff into a jar or a kid throwing his toys into a toybox. the more you shove in it the more something has to get broke.

kid1293

Quote from: Necora on May 22, 2017, 05:16:07 PM
I might have to sit down and draw this all out like I did with the flax chain to figure out how we can incorporate everything. I don't want to make a load of patches for lots of little things, but seeing as these are all well used mods it would make sense to have them all fully compatible.

One way is to gather all collectable items and let every modder add all to their gatherers.
If a resource doesn't have the code to spawn, it doesn't matter for the gatherer. They just ignore.
Ooops. Future resources... Every code has to be updated. Didn't think.

I guess you have a real problem to solve.  :(

Is it possible to add a spawn section to, for example, blueberries?
That way blueberries could spawn other berries.
If not, they work as usual. The same for mushrooms.

But that only pushes the problem forward.
What do we do when all these spawn points collide?

An even worse tangle to straighten out.

Just spawning. :)

Nilla

This will be a problem, that will go on "for ever" or at least as you diligent creative modders go on with your work. It will not be possible to make all mods compatible with all others. It's good when a modder think and try to make his mods work with as much other mods as possible, I also appreciate the work from @Necora to make flax=flax and @kid1293 to makes his Forest village fit NatDiv, don't get me wrong on that. But I  prefere that you modders will go on developing your own new ideas, rather than trying to find ways to rework your older mods to fit all new upcoming things.

I have a suggestion, that I guess some people would dislike but I will throw it out here anyway. Why don't all of you who make some new resources make a "light" version, or "add on" to your original mod, that makes it compatible with more or less everything. Let the all mushrooms, berry bushes, plants look different on the map but all have the names: mushrooms, berries, roots, herbs. I don't think it will be too much work and I can't see, that it will bring any conflicts between mods. (I know nothing about modding, so maybe I'm wrong about that  :-[)

I very much like the look of chantarelles, cranberries and other plants I recognize (but not know the name in English). I like very much, that different spices spawn in different kind of forests. But I don't mind (or rather I would even prefere) that they all where called mushrooms/berries.....

Abandoned

I agree with Nilla on this, as I've said before, you lose the ability to pick and chose if mods are dependent on other mods.  I think the flax mod is a good idea for sure but adding so many spawners means less of each, does it not?  A few of this and a few of that, plus all the more items in inventory and many more unwanted or not needed items when the riverboat trader comes to call (again requiring special orders and higher cost to order what is needed or wanted). Then of course we have more and more problems with load orders.  I hope load order note are include in the mod list description but then again those overly long descriptions in the mod list make it more of a task arranging the list especially when adding new mods.  ???