News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - (North to) - Prospect - Story 18

Started by Abandoned, September 19, 2017, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 14

In April of year 13, 18 prospectors chose not to stay with us.  We were glad because both our food supply and education rate were already low.  When Zellene the trader arrived we traded for rye and when Harlis, the resource merchant, arrived we again ordered brick for our bakery.  We change the planned location of the bakery and built another blacksmith instead.  We also built a small workplace to make stone tools for trade.  Surface iron ore was getting scarce and what little there was, was quite some distance from town.  We thought of an iron mine but many were getting impatient for a share of the gold and did not want to be mining for iron ore.

We got a good trade value for iron tools in exchange for much need bread, we needed more iron ore.  When Mayne, the miner, was killed by a cave in, there were even more who were against building an iron mine.  Before the end of the year, Gannon the gatherer ate poisonous berries and died.

Year 14 was not off to a good start either.  We were low on food and herbs.  We traded for some trout.  A young couple arrived and decided to stay.  They were tired of the constant struggle and endless tasks.  We told them it would be much the same here, when not busy with regular work we search the woods for herbs and wild foods and firewood.  The couple still decided to stay.

Our education rate was still only 11% and both classrooms were full so we built a village school.  We also built a second gold mine and if need be we could always switch production to iron ore but we needed gold.  Our population was now 149, 76 adults, 17 students, and 56 young children.  We needed 349 gold nuggets, we were only a few nuggets short of the half way point.  We had 177.

Tom Sawyer

Your people seem to be quite stingy, hoarding all their gold.^^ They could buy so much nice stuff for it and having a good life. ;D

Abandoned

Yes, that is true but Shedric wants to buy a gold wedding band for his lady love and that costs 200 gold nuggets back at the jeweler in North Mining Town where they came from.  And he promised the others that each man, woman, and child would get a gold nugget for helping him.  The thing we sacrifice for love  ;D

Tom Sawyer

Wow, all the hardships just for a girl. I hope she's worth it.^^ But to promise a piece of gold for every guy can be a big mistake. You know how this always ends in such stories where gold has to be divided among people. :-X ;D

Abandoned

Ah, but these bannies are different from the ones in most stories.  These bannies have been wander around the mountains looking for gold and now they are happy just to have food and shelter from the cold snowy North climate, all the while enjoying the beautiful scenery and listening to the cranes.  ;D  Who needs gold?  :)

brads3

you keep it up and they'll move to KID's wildwest town and get drunk at the saloon.

Abandoned

:) Those early American bannies weren't happy where they were, go north, go west, at least it would be warmer in Kid's wildwest town, long dusty trail there, sure they'd stop at the saloon.  Then have to go back north for more gold.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 15

In April of year 15, 12 prospectors arrived but did not stay.  They wanted to strike-it-rich right away, they did not want to wait.   They did not come all this way North to be fisherman.

In June we were delighted when the bricks we ordered finally arrived.  We could build a small oven house to bake bread.  Now all we needed was flour, grain, or grain seeds, and a mill.  The oven house was built in August and in September, Zellene the merchant brought flour to trade.  We got 640 sacks of flour and decided to keep half in the trading post to be released when needed for the oven.

Damare, a farmer by trade, was up early every morning baking bread.  The oven house was right behind our house and we awoke to the smell of fresh baked bread and were most eager to get a loaf.

It was another cold winter but we had plenty of firewood and a loaf of bread warming by the hearth.  Our overall health continued to fall, we were always short of herbs.  Hopefully the grain added to our diet would help.

In January we celebrated the fact that we now had the 200 gold nuggets needed for Shedric to have a wedding band of gold made at the jeweler in North Mining Town.  We needed only 152 more nuggets to repay the people of Prospect who helped to make that dream come true.

Abandoned

Chapter 16

By spring of year 16 our flour was almost gone.  The trader that arrived did not have any.  The 22 prospectors that arrived shortly after did not stay.  In  May, Elliam the trader had dalers, after 15 years we still had no grain seed but we traded for 20 more dalers.

In November we built another smoking shed over by the jetty fisherman, and we traded for 480 sacks of flour.  Another worker was added to the gold mine.

In May of year 17 we traded for wheat and kept most of it stored at the trading post until a mill was built on the small stream.  The mill was finished by August and the oven house again had flour to make bread.  We hoped our food production would continue to improve along with our education rate.  Our overall health continue to decline though so another herbalist workplace with residence was constructed on the other side of the lake.

Our trading post was not restocked by the time the trader arrived with rye so we only traded for 40 sacks but we looked forward to rye bread with our smoked fish.  We had enough trade goods for 220 sacks of flour when Isha the trader arrived in January.

At the end of year 17 Prospect had a population of 155, 83 adults, 21 students, and 51 young children.  We had a lot of mouths to feed but an education rate of 18%.  We only needed 64 more gold nuggets, we had 291.

Abandoned

Chapter 17

In March of year 18, Zellene the merchant brought wheat.  We trade firewood, furs, and stone tools for 610 sacks. We did not trade away any of our iron tools.  There was no more surface iron ore to be found anywhere and we did not want to stop mining for gold when we were so close to our goal.  We just added 2 more workers to the gold mines, they now had 8 miners each.  We still had 8 laborers and 2 builders.

In July, Zellene returned but had no grain this time.  We were now completely out of iron ore and had only a few iron bloom left.  We had 136 iron tools, enough to last awhile.  In September we closed the bloomery and the iron blacksmith, both workers were now miners.  In October, Ollison brought wheat to the old port.  We traded all the firewood, furs, and venison that was stored there but not the 60 dalers.  After 18 years we still had no seeds or livestock.  We closed that trading post and gained one more gold miner.

Several children were born before the end of the year.  The population was 161 meaning we needed 361 gold nuggets.  We had 348.  Our food supply and population held steady well into year 19.  In June of year 19 we had 86 adults, 26 students, and 49 young children, a total of 161 citizens.  We had 361 gold nuggets.

Yes, weary traveler, we reached our goal.  Shedric and I and our 3 children are headed back to North Mining Town with our 200 gold nuggets for the jeweler.  We had a big celebration outside the town hall to distribute the remaining nuggets to the families who helped us, each man, woman, and child received 1 gold nugget.  And we turned over the deed to the claim to the good people of Prospect.  You are welcome to join them. 

Live Long and Prosper in Prospect

The End

kid1293

Abandoned

Thanks @kid1293  :) To me it seemed the last 2 or 3 years were a bit long, not much to do but keep food supply steady and wait for enough gold.  I was saving land in case I would get grain seeds or livestock but they never came.  I didn't want to build more houses to increase population and need for more food and more gold. It had a happy ending and I always enjoy my visits to the North  :)