News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Timber Mill v2.2 (updated 29 July 2019)

Started by Discrepancy, December 11, 2017, 04:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom

A quick opinion:

• Timber/lumber should be separated from logs -only because I want the General Stats window to show me the availability of logs, a critical resource to so much of the game, and don't want to dechiper what part of that stats window number is actually logs vs lumber/timber.
      • The ones below can go against any limit except those few critical ones (food, logs, tools, clothing, iron, and fuel/firewood) for the reason mentioned above. My suggestions would be...

• Iron Fittings: Crafted because that seems a good compromise between Construction and Forged. Construction seems less "crafted" to me and Forged seems largely a CC invention to hold items for CCs homewares and building supplies chains.
        • Glass: While it is crafted, I'd put it under Construction as it is so widely used this way as a basic building material across so many mods. But either way...
        • Wagon Parts: Toss up, Construction of Crafted.
QuoteI have a few questions for players:
what are the limits that you use to actually limit production?, and why? lack of storage place for it? too low a trade value to continue producing for trade?

I gave up a long time ago on the notion of "correctly" defining what limit any particular resource belongs too. In the end, it doesn't much matter to me. I would like to see the critical basics (food, logs, tools, clothing, iron, and to an extent fuel for home use) kept "pure" but that is simply to easily see (in the General Stats window) on-hand availability rather than any concern about limit settings.

I don't have much use for limits as a game play mechanism and mostly don't care which resource is tied to which limit. If I see a resource limit icon over a lumber mill, I either switch from lumber to firewood or reduce the numbers of workers or halt production manually, or move excess stock to a trader (even if just as temporary storage) or build more storage --or just bump the limit. To me, letting things "hit the limit" just masks production problems and takes away the fun of managing and growing the town. I keep the General Stats window open to keep an eye on things and regularly check inventory levels. That's my play style.

If you play with any number of mods, you know that things aren't always as advertised. For instance a charcoal maker info window can show a "fuel" limit but other mods cause charcoal to be placed against the "industrial fuel" limit. The glass works wants charcoal and not furnace (industrial) fuel no matter that both count against the same limit. I care about how much charcoal is available where I need it and don't care which limit it counts against. I can always raise the limit or adjust production...

...which leads directly to the Storage problems. The game wants to disperse resources over all storage spots. And while I don't need Bannies placing roof tiles in a remote storage yard I'm using only to clear space for an orchard on the outskirts of town that is the reality. To the extent possible, I build restricted storage areas (stockpiles, barns, warehouses, traders, etc) that accept specific goods I produce and/or consume. Red's FireLogs stockpiles being a great example. As long as I know which limit a resource is linked to, that is enough.

Because I actively try not to have things "hitting the limits" as I consider it a failure if that happens, whether your mods encompass 20% or 80% of the available limits isn't an issue.

Hawk

I thought I had posted in this topic just before @Freedom, but I guess I deleted that post, or just not remembering right.  ;D

Anyway, I agree with what Freedom says, and that saved me a whole lot of typing, which is good because I'm a two-finger pecker. LOL!
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Discrepancy

:)
Thank you all very much for the detailed answers.

I will make another update soon to the timber mill reverting Timber/Lumber back to Custom5 (construction).

I agree with the players, and believe it is important for you guys to have a say.

But there is a little more than that, I have written a post here: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1755.msg49556#msg49556

Discrepancy

updated to v2.1

-  changed RawMaterialLumber.rsc (Timber) storage flag back to custom5 limit (building materials)
        -  changed storage of 1x1 timber pile to match resource change.
        -  updated UI texts.
        -  updated resource files
        -  changed firewood production quantity to 6-8, Timber 2-3
        -  changes to vanilla woodcutter production.

v2.1  limits are now in a tab:

kid1293

Limits in a tab?  ???

You're a wizard with menus! :)

Discrepancy

when looking at the code it is a confusing piece of work, but simple once you can see how it works ;)

kid1293

Hmm. It is very logical but, as you say, when looking at it it is hard
to follow the logic :)

kid1293

Discrepancy

we can define the groups. it is like a UI 'placer' box that we can put wherever we like within another.

if you look right down the bottom of the template file is where it is defining the groupLimit01 etc - this can be named whatever we like.

... I'll step back a bit:

to make a tab, the code is straight-forward, with a building with the inventory attached it is easy to just add on to that.

TabDescription
   Tab _tabs - calls up the tab buttons and then the content.
button is easy. just ButtonDescription code, linked to the StandardDialog.rsc:buttonTab which makes it act as a button, this links to LabelDescription code, which is simply what its title says - link the icon and text for tab button.
the content, calls up a container , ContainerDescription
this creates the size and shape of the tab screen, the scrollbar goes here.
this links to the LayoutDescription code, the reason why this code is used, is that it can call up and create the defined group locations. This is needed for limits as they must be called up via the UIDescription - ElementController _controllers, and can not be added directly to UI code (the limit spinner will not work correctly).
At the bottom I have simply created 2 groups for the 2 limits displayed, but you can make it multiple, and as many you want (i have done all the limits this way in unreleased styth tower 3 mod). The group simply acts as the placer for the code that the resource limit will call in the UI controller: String _insertAt = "group____";

adding text to a tab, like I did with the info is a little different again. there is multiple approaches though depending on the need.

simply using containerDescription code again as tab content, then linking a labelDescription code element, this can call up a stringtable text, bool _wordWrap = true; can be used with: int _wordWrapSize = ##; to limit width of text line. call up font/size/colour/image etc...

if you want to create paragraphs, move things into boxes, alternate font size, colours ets etc  etc, you will need to isolate individual pieces...
and that is by using RibbonDescription code, which allows you to list and call up individual UI elements (these can be any UI code you want to use), either vertically arranged, or horizontally: bool _vertical = true/false;
the other option is to once again use the LayoutDescription code option, it gives you more control over layout as things can layer and overlap.

But a word of warning, it can get very confusing quickly. the more you add the harder it is to keep track of. I suggest actually drawing on a piece of paper a layout you want before attempting it.
It is slow going. I have spent countless hours... it is a time trap.

I have utilised this and learnt what I know by making my update to Styth Tower... and it took it's toll on me (that's why it isn't released yet)  :D

i have attached the UI file that is the watch tower rating tab I have created. it uses a mix of elements to create this:

;) ignore the rest of the box and tabs - i didn't include them, yet.

but it is a big file to display the contents of the tab you can see (though it scrolls down a bit).
if you follow my code you can see where I got confused while making it! many secondary additions and alterations... because I didn't pre-plan very well as I didn't really know what I was doing.

Nilla

Very interesting to get more information in the menus. :)

Discrepancy

updated to v2.2

Another improvement update. This one also has some changes that will work better with the current and next beta of DS Industry Mining.

I added an upgrade option to the Timber Mill: the into-the-future acquisition of circular saw blade technology now means the mill can be upgraded for faster production, this will have a cost of a complete rebuild with Timber, Iron Fittings and Steel Tools used in the construction. Iron Fittings will need to be traded for, or play with another mod that can produce them.

Change Log:
version 2.2 - update   -- 20190729  |  .zip = 12.3mb (12,658kb)   .pkm = 19.7mb (20,238kb)
        - renamed mod to DSTimberMill.pkm and re-wrote some mod file structures, this is not save-compatible with previous version.
        - increased the work time of the standard banished CutterYard, and altered production in-line with DS Industry Mining.
        - altered Firewood create count to 6, value is 2, in-line with DS Industry Mining.
        - altered Timber values, in-line with DS Industry Mining (create 4-5, value 3-5).
        - increased the work time, reduced work required of the Timber Mill.
        - increased the spawn chance of the Birch & Pine forester trees.
        - reduced the total number of woodcutters to 2 at the Timber Mill.
        - altered the Timber Mill input production - Timber requires 1 Log, Firewood requires 1 Log or 2 Timber.
        - various UI, text and tool-tip changes.
        - added Timber Saw-Mill, an upgrade build option to the Timber Mill for a faster production, 3 woodcutters.
        - added resource: Iron Fittings, required as a construction cost when upgrading to the Timber Saw-Mill.

Download link

tuggistar

This mods can still be used with other mods that use lumber. Just to clarify.