News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Brainstorming about the future

Started by salamander, June 27, 2014, 07:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I think you are going to want to do transfers from the map rather than from a list. How bout if it worked like this:

You select a storage site with left click. This is the origin storage site.

You select a second storage site with ctrl + left click. This is the destination site.

A "Logistics" screen pops up. It lists the current inventory of the origin site in the left panel, and the right panel is the transfer quantity panel. It would look similar to the "Trade" screen in the TP.

You say what quantity of each you want to transfer, and you click the "transfer" button.

RedKetchup

Anyone remember Age of Empire ? you could select a building and build something, and you could right click on another building (like a tower?) and as soon the troop was made, they were going into that 'right clicked' building.

i think the very very old ceasar 3(1998) also had some features, but so long time i dont really remember exactly, but it had alot more control versus we can do in Banished

so ya , the barns (and warehouse) had a 'menu' where you can say for every items listed to : 'go pickup the items' (from another barn or warhouse), 'accept' or 'refuse' (to be stock here)

i am not sure if the game has been coded for that(for these right click, or left click or control-left), unless if in the future we get a huge patch.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

salamander

@irrelevant -- That's an interesting approach, and off-hand it seems like it might be cleaner than what I originally had.  The game certainly already 'knows' how to deal with mouse clicks modified by having a control-type pressed.

One of the ideas being batted around, though, is being able to do multiple transfers from one origin site to several destinations, without having to start from square one for each transfer.  Do you think your approach would be able to handle that type of thing, or would you have to go back to the map and start the left-click/ctrl-left-click each time?

salamander

Although this topic started using stockpiles as a convenient example, it has grown a little to include resource transfers between barns, marketplaces, etc...  It occurred to me that most of these transfers could work just fine, but the transfer to the market may be a problem.  In this case, you're 'fighting' against an AI (the vendors) that already are trying to manage how a market is stocked.  So, it may be that setting up user-controlled transfers to the market could be a more involved process to add to the game than other types of transfers.

irrelevant

Quote from: salamander on June 29, 2014, 05:31:43 AM
@irrelevant -- That's an interesting approach, and off-hand it seems like it might be cleaner than what I originally had.  The game certainly already 'knows' how to deal with mouse clicks modified by having a control-type pressed.

One of the ideas being batted around, though, is being able to do multiple transfers from one origin site to several destinations, without having to start from square one for each transfer.  Do you think your approach would be able to handle that type of thing, or would you have to go back to the map and start the left-click/ctrl-left-click each time?
Not sure about that. If the database and engine work anything like how I imagine they do, I expect that setting a second transfer order would override the first one, although any citizen who was already carrying out the first order would continue to do so.

rkelly17

One thing I like about some of the Impressions city-builders (Pharaoh and Emperor for sure) was that you could tell market places not to carry certain goods. If you wanted to keep a neighborhood in worker housing rather than luxury housing you tell the market in that neighborhood not to stock luxury goods. So, I'm wondering whether something like that could be used to address the problem mentioned that citizens take, for example, coal that you want your blacksmiths to use for steel tools (I've basically given up on steel tools for that reason). You could also direct certain fruits to the circle where most of your taverns are if you're producing ale for export. The one problem I see is that production of items like tools for general usage can't really be concentrated or you get spot shortages around the map or vendors making very long trips. Perhaps that could be balanced by the idea of orders for storage yards and barns. In Pharaoh I always set two storage yards near each residential area to "get" the necessities for higher level housing (e.g., pottery) so that those goods were close at hand for market vendors. Maybe 2-3 barns and a storage yard in each market circle set to "get" the necessities. A second problem (maybe) is that in games like Pharaoh and Emperor storage yards always had a staff who could go out and get. Customizable barns and yards would require staffing which would reduce the number of laborers available for normal service. The trade off might be worth it.