News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Texture Problem

Started by Maldrick, January 22, 2018, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discrepancy

:) you can name it whatever you'd like.

There must be a spelling mistake somewhere.

sounds like something within the .bat files if it isn't giving you an error.
also make sure there are no . (dots) , (commas) - (dashes) etc in your folder/file names
also i find the modkit only likes to work from the root of the main drive (C:\BanishedKit\)

the three main files to check like I said earlier are:

MaldricksModResources.rsc
MaldricksMod.rsc
Package.rsc

MaldricksModResources.rsc, will be what the build process of the modkit will first look at.
if you are just adding housing it should have nothing but references to: MaldricksMod.rsc
so within MaldricksModResources.rsc, it will be something like this:
ExternalList resource
{
External _resources
[
"MaldricksMod.rsc:MaldricksHouse01",

]
}

this is telling the game to load something within the MaldricksMod.rsc file called 'MaldricksHouse01'

so if we were to look in the MaldricksMod.rsc file:
Toolbar MaldricksHouse01
{
Toolbar _parent = "Game/Toolbar.rsc:housing";
int _sortPriority = 1110;

Action _action = Tool;
ComponentDescription _tool = "Template/MaldricksHouse01.rsc";

bool _autoHotKey = true; 
}

also if you are trying to add toolbar menus and need help let me know.

Maldrick

I'm off the PC now but I'll give it another look tomorrow.  It may be a typo someplace but I went over it all several times already.  Your code will help, though. I got an error related to the resource file. Usually you can see what it tried to load and can backtrack from there but was just an error about a _resource file not being loaded...had an underscore in it.  Not like other errors I've had.

Bear in mind I got all my variants done earlier and everything was working fine.  As well as the community toolbar. I'm just trying to figure out how to change the name because it will likely come up again at some point.  And I'm a glutton for punishment, apparently.  Just need to get some icons together and it's good to go.

Really appreciate the help!  I've had a blast with this and looking forward to more.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Maldrick

@Discrepancy

That last bit of code you posted...Does the template file name need to change, also?  I was just changing what's in the main directory.

Basically I just used the same names for everything you did in the tutorial so as to not complicate things as I was learning.  I'd just like to change what needs to be to get a different name for the pkm.  I really have no idea what isn't jibing.

At this point I might just rebuild the project with the new name from the ground up because the time I've spent trying to change it is approaching the same amount of time it took to do it originally.  Around 7 hours at this point.  I'm doing this as much for the learning experience so I know how to do it down the road when rebuilding isn't an option, but man.  Lol

I have a back up of the working project (with the old name) set aside and start over renaming everything with your suggestions.  But I can't see where my problem is at all.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

RedKetchup

nan the template names stay the same till you dont change the name of the template in the toolbar resource file (at the root of your folder)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

Let us have a look. 12 pairs of eyes are better :)

Maldrick

Ugh.  Feel like that's admitting defeat! :P

Okay, I'm going to give this one more go and if it doesn't work I'll zip everything up and get them posted someplace.  Need to set up a dropbox or something anyway so might as well do it for this.

Much appreciated, Sir!

Maldrick

It worked this time! :)  I have no idea what the problem was before but starting fresh and doing it again fixed whatever it was.  Many thanks, gentlemen.  This whole project has had ups and downs but renaming this thing was the first time I was starting to get really frustrated with it.

Going forward...Decided to add footprints after all.  I was thinking there was no footprint but actually it's calling up the vanilla wooden house footprints, so I should go ahead and do that.  Will be good to learn how to do that.

All that's left after that is getting some icons together.  Do you guys have any tips for that?  You all have such amazing icons...Do you just draw them?  Start with an image and alter it?  I'm not a designer and cookbook my way through things like this so any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Tried lifting the game icons from a screenshot...Was close but was a little muddy and the color is way off.  I'm going to do some searches for button and icon tips and tutorials for Gimp when I get back later, also.  There's bound to be some stuff like that around.

And again, I can't thank you guys enough.  This has been something I've wanted to tackle for quite some time and feels like I'm getting a good start, but would be lost without you all keeping me on track.  Sincerest thanks.

kid1293

If you need game icons they're all in resource/Dialog/Sprite in the modkit.

Yes we draw them :)
The easy ones, or we search internet for usable icons/pictures.
It is a habit. First try to think how you want it. Then search. As a last resort
draw some simple monochrome icon. That's me. I guess we all can relate to that.

And yes, you are off to a good start!

Maldrick

Oh, fantastic!  I gave that a cursory look when working on other things and must have missed it.  Thank you.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll do some searches and see what I find.  I really need to get my Gimp skills up so I'm more comfortable with this.  In fact, when I get this project done, my next one is to find some good tutorials for that and blender to get a little deeper into both before the next one.

Thanks again. :)

kid1293

Maldrick

Very nice, thank you.  Had a glance and there are quite a few that could make potential game icons for sure.

RedKetchup

i always find my icons on google :) sometimes i need to edit them  ::)

keep in mind to always resize to  32x32  :)

Discrepancy

a lot of my icons i now make from taking a screen shot, mostly from the front of the building in blender. For some buildings though this doesn't always work so well.

In blender i take the front screenshot, and then paste it into a paint/photo program, i mostly use photoshop, but I can also do it in GIMP which I will show:

Picture 1, screenshot taken of front view from blender, I turn on the setting 'Display - Only Render' - press PrintScreen keyboard button, paste into blank canvas on GIMP.
I select all the parts I don't want and delete, i then find it easier to copy house to another canvas to work on.

Picture 2, shows that I deleted door and windows to show alpha.

Picture 3, in GIMP select 'Colors' - 'Components' - 'Channel Mixer' , select Monochrome, adjust the Red, Green, Blue channels. I normally don't adjust to full white and keep a small amount of building definition in the image.

Resize the image and adjust canvas size, then my final icon export:
Picture 4

** EDIT - fixed last icon to actual .png image

Discrepancy

Quote from: RedKetchup on January 26, 2018, 07:17:46 AM

I haven't always adhered to this... I keep the height to 32px, but those who play with my mods will know I have some narrow ones:
16px, 20px, 24px, 26px, also some wider ones 32x64px.

They work fine, except for the tooltip icon is distorted as it makes it display square.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Discrepancy on January 26, 2018, 05:40:44 PM
Quote from: RedKetchup on January 26, 2018, 07:17:46 AM

I haven't always adhered to this... I keep the height to 32px, but those who play with my mods will know I have some narrow ones:
16px, 20px, 24px, 26px, also some wider ones 32x64px.

They work fine, except for the tooltip icon is distorted as it makes it display square.

yeah i saw the thinner ones :)