News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RKEditorChoice BETA13 open

Started by RedKetchup, February 03, 2018, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

but he did stop definately working on this. not sure what he is doing... but probably will do another kind of game.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

@galensgranny

I should leave automatic detect settings on for your Internet as it has nothing to do with loading the game.
What helps a lot is to ALT+TAB out of the game when it is loading.

After about 10 to 15 seconds go back to the game from the Taskbar.
Really a lot of mods and still black screen rinse and repeat above.
I had with tons of mods loaded under 1 minute with using ALT+TAB what by not using ALT+TAB took about 7 minutes.

The game engine can handle quite a lot of mods (depending on PC of course) but the loading system is wonky and/or not seem optimized.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Hawk

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 03, 2018, 03:27:46 PM
Quote from: galensgranny on June 03, 2018, 12:13:29 PM
My computer has 4 GB of ram (that was seemingly more than I would ever need when I first got the computer!  ;D )  It is Windows 7.  Intel Core.

What does Vsync do?  I have it checked in the Banished options.  If you think it will help my game loading time, I'll turn it off.  What are the "etc." you think could help. 

Vsynch isn't about loading time. What Vsynch does is limit your graphics card to the same FPS as your monitor. Not much point having your graphics card ripping off 200 FPS if your monitor can't display more than 60 FPS. So, turning Vsynch off won't help. In fact, it may hurt. I'm not sure about Banished, but in some games the graphics card is going bonkers using resources to display FPS that your monitor can't deal with. Turning Vsynch on tells everyone to take it easy and your computer then can use its resources for other things.

@galensgranny To add a little more to what @rkelly17 said above, here's a link to a very good explanation of what VSYNC is, what it does, how it works, and when - or when not to use it.

https://hardforum.com/threads/how-vsync-works-and-why-people-loathe-it.928593/
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Goblin Girl

Quote from: kid1293 on June 03, 2018, 08:03:24 AM
Just a modders perspective on things.
Thanks for sharing this.  I see your point.

Goblin Girl

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 04, 2018, 02:13:27 AM
but he did stop definately working on this. not sure what he is doing... but probably will do another kind of game.
If I remember correctly, he started out making a zombie game, and then decided to do Banished instead.  So perhaps he's back to zombies.  Or perhaps he's just sitting on the beach in a tropical paradise, enjoying fruity drinks with little umbrellas in them, enjoying the millions he now has. 

galensgranny

Quote from: embx61 on June 04, 2018, 03:47:13 AM
@galensgranny

I should leave automatic detect settings on for your Internet as it has nothing to do with loading the game.
What helps a lot is to ALT+TAB out of the game when it is loading.

After about 10 to 15 seconds go back to the game from the Taskbar.
Really a lot of mods and still black screen rinse and repeat above.
I had with tons of mods loaded under 1 minute with using ALT+TAB what by not using ALT+TAB took about 7 minutes.

The game engine can handle quite a lot of mods (depending on PC of course) but the loading system is wonky and/or not seem optimized.

You are right, @embx61 , that I should leave the LAN settings alone.  I read that unchecking the automatically detect line helps with Steam games, but that must have been in regards to multi-player games that need to use an internet connection.  So I put it back to how it was.  My game is still loading in 10 minutes or less!   ;D That is very fast for me compared to 20 minutes or more to load.  So if one has Steam, uncheck "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" under settings in Steam to help improve your loading time (unless you need it active for some reason for other Steam games).

Also, the alt-tab thing while the game is loading helps.  It cut off about two or three minutes loading time down from 10 minutes to speedy 7 (though it took my computer at least a minute to go to the Window's screen.)     

Once my game is loaded, it works fine with all the mods, though maybe my 10x speed is not as fast as it would be without mods, but it is still very fast to me.  I can even pause the game, go online for a while, then back to the game and all is well.
@RedKetchup , good luck with the animals. 

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 03, 2018, 09:13:26 PM
both multi story are different because i had to redo them to apply the 8 color variants with the new textures. i couldnt applied those perfectly if i didnt redone those. and i took the occasion to make them a bit smaller and less high

I really like the new "Little House" version. I liked the old one a lot, and the new colors and size make it even better. I especially like the one that looks like flat roof tiles with crud on them.

galensgranny

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 04, 2018, 01:49:21 PM
I really like the new "Little House" version. I liked the old one a lot, and the new colors and size make it even better. I especially like the one that looks like flat roof tiles with crud on them.
Crud?!  You mean yucky dirt, or did you mean something else? 

RedKetchup

can you add a picture to give precision on this ?

huyle

@RedKetchup , hello RK, are you planning for some more decoration items?

RedKetchup

rkelly17

Quote from: galensgranny on June 04, 2018, 02:33:49 PM
Quote from: rkelly17 on June 04, 2018, 01:49:21 PM
Crud?!  You mean yucky dirt, or did you mean something else?

You raise an interesting philosophical question, @galensgranny. What exactly is "crud"? Hmmm. One of the advantages of the word "crud" is that it can mean many things all at once. In this case I suppose I was referring to the signs of aging and decomposition on a couple of the roofs in the newest version. Sort of a combination of the passage of time and birds stopping by. Have you ever noticed that many of the original wood buildings in vanilla Banished look like they are about to collapse? Or at least that they are past their prime? I think that @RedKetchup has captured that feel in some of the new roofs.

By the way, for the linguists out there, ever since I moved to Canada 33 years ago, people born here can always detect my American origins by the way I say "roof." Even my Grandkids. That was one I never anticipated and when I want to "pass" I avoid talking about the tops of buildings.

galensgranny

@rkelly17 , your monitor, settings of something must be better than mine as on Red's lastest 3 story houses, I haven't noticed that the roofs have signs of aging. Though I do have my game setting for low shadow resolution and quality.  That would make a difference.  So, your use of "crud" doesn't have the negative associations I give to that word.  I hadn't thought of bird poop on roofs, but of course there would be and indeed, I would put that in the "crud" category.
Regarding the word "roof" in the US, different regions say it differently.  Do Canadians pronounce it yet another way?  I am from New York City and say roof with the oo sound as in shoe.

Voeille

I like the worn-out look. It might not be realistic that freshly placed buildings immediately look like that, after all, everything was new at some point, but I think such a look is very fitting for Banished. A building that looks too new or too modern just sticks out too much.

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 05, 2018, 09:41:24 AM
By the way, for the linguists out there, ever since I moved to Canada 33 years ago, people born here can always detect my American origins by the way I say "roof." Even my Grandkids. That was one I never anticipated and when I want to "pass" I avoid talking about the tops of buildings.

I wish that after I move into the UK I'll manage to train myself British accent so it's not obvious that I'm foreign with the first word I say, but the first step is learning proper pronunciation ;) I still have issues with sounds that are new to me, such as 'th', or 'ea' in beard or ear. I also don't like that some words can be pronounced differently despite exact same spelling, for example wind. One meaning is pronounced with short i and the other with the long sound, with absolutely no indication. Things like that can be really confusing.

Goblin Girl

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 05, 2018, 09:41:24 AM

Wait, what?  I know of two pronunciations: roof with the same vowel sound as what an owl says: "hoo".  And a shorter vowel that rhymes with hoof.  I haven't heard anyone use the second one for decades.  It was all people in my parent's generation.  How do you say it?  How do Canadians say it?  I guess I have never had a conversation about the tops of buildings with any of my Canadian friends.