News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Problem with mods....

Started by Willows, May 28, 2018, 05:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zak4862

Hi rkelly17!
One question. Could any of those NO SMOKE mods work on NORTH?

Goblin Girl

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 28, 2018, 10:44:51 AM
One thing that helps your computer is a "no smoke" mod. There is one specifically for Colonial Charter on Black Liquid's site. Load order is important, but I forget now what the order should be. You'd be amazed how many of your computer's resources are used making every building smoke.
Yeah, No Smoke made a huge difference in frame rate for me.  I liked the look of the smoke, but my old computer just can't handle it.  I'm saving for a new one, so by this time next year I'll have God's Own gaming rig.

galensgranny

Oh yes, that "no smoke" mod was very helpful with my game on my old not so powerful computer.  It really did make a difference.

rkelly17

Quote from: Goblin Girl on May 30, 2018, 06:47:22 AM
Yeah, No Smoke made a huge difference in frame rate for me.  I liked the look of the smoke, but my old computer just can't handle it.  I'm saving for a new one, so by this time next year I'll have God's Own gaming rig.

You should try building your own! It is not as hard or as threatening as it might sound and you can get just what you want. The price won't necessarily be lower because you can get top quality for each component. Not every, but almost every pre-built computer has some lower tier parts to keep costs down. The one, well actually two related flies in the ointment at the moment are memory prices and graphic card prices. Both are quite high.  :-[ There are plenty of "how-to" videos on YouTube as well as reviews of various components. PCPartPicker.com also gives you a place to plan out your build and see what the lowest prices are for each component. The other problem: If you get the bug it is a very expensive hobby. I've built my last two (my Grandson currently has #1 and I use #2) and I'm hooked. Why couldn't my parents have been rich and left me scads of money?!?  ;D

Nilla

A home made computer from "grandpa", that's pretty cool. I have the opposite (more or less); I inherit the "old" computers, mobile phones and other electronic things from my son, who means he need some newer and better devices. A perfect situation for me. Besides, I also have a good support, if something doesn't work. :)

Goblin Girl

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 30, 2018, 09:45:22 AM
You should try building your own! It is not as hard or as threatening as it might sound and you can get just what you want. The price won't necessarily be lower because you can get top quality for each component. Not every, but almost every pre-built computer has some lower tier parts to keep costs down. The one, well actually two related flies in the ointment at the moment are memory prices and graphic card prices. Both are quite high.  :-[ There are plenty of "how-to" videos on YouTube as well as reviews of various components. PCPartPicker.com also gives you a place to plan out your build and see what the lowest prices are for each component. The other problem: If you get the bug it is a very expensive hobby. I've built my last two (my Grandson currently has #1 and I use #2) and I'm hooked. Why couldn't my parents have been rich and left me scads of money?!?  ;D
In fact I am planning to build it!  A good friend of mine builds and repairs computers for our public library.  He's going to help me.   My planned budget for the new machine is $3500 US.  I know that I won't be able to get a dual graphics card set-up for that price, but I think I can put something together that lets me play whatever Bethesda comes up with next at Ultra settings.  And of course Banished. 

I didn't know about PCPartPicker.com, so thanks for sharing that.  I'm off to look at it now.   ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: Goblin Girl on May 30, 2018, 12:42:11 PM
In fact I am planning to build it!  A good friend of mine builds and repairs computers for our public library.  He's going to help me.   My planned budget for the new machine is $3500 US.  I know that I won't be able to get a dual graphics card set-up for that price, but I think I can put something together that lets me play whatever Bethesda comes up with next at Ultra settings.  And of course Banished.

Excellent! You should be able to build a real powerhouse. I'm usually restricted to $1700 Canadian or so. I look at American prices with serious envy. I named my current computer "The Sinking Loon" because just when I started buying parts the Canadian dollar nose dived (we call it the "Loonie" because there is a loon on the $1 coin). That meant a downgrade in a number of key parts.  :(  With memory and graphics card prices high at the moment I'm dreaming and window shopping for now.

Quote from: Nilla on May 30, 2018, 11:08:52 AM
A home made computer from "grandpa", that's pretty cool. I have the opposite (more or less); I inherit the "old" computers, mobile phones and other electronic things from my son, who means he need some newer and better devices. A perfect situation for me. Besides, I also have a good support, if something doesn't work. :)

His phone is way better than mine, and he uses it much more. And he is now the main IT support person in the house. He loves to take our old electronic devices apart and see how they work--he has all his old phones and iPods disassembled along with our old television. Maybe he'll become a highly paid electronic engineer and support his grandfather! I'm always surprised because almost all of the grandkids' school work is on-line now. The local high school students all get Chromebooks and then everything is Google docs. Even the Jr. Hi students do everything on line. They've never known anything different. It's not the old days anymore.

BlueFireChelle

For US$3500 you should be able to get an absolutely awesome PC! I built my own just last week (after building 2 for the kids for Xmas). My budget was AUD$1600 (or $US1200 ish) and I am really happy with what I put together. I can play everything on Ultra or Epic with great FPS. I put an RX580 in it. The kids only got 1050Tis but that will do them for a few years (they're both pre-teen). They still get great results on High or even Ultra so we're happy. Building our own was perfect ;)