News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Food markets and flags

Started by Kyana, October 15, 2018, 06:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: embx61 on October 15, 2018, 01:09:23 PM

The best is either get rid if Non Edible foods all together or allow Non Edibles to be stored in Markets beside Edible so at least the four food groups can be set at 25% each.

indeed Embx, dealing with non-edible food only lead yourself in trouble.
there is no bridge over trouble waters :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

Just checked the code of Production Set 1 and see i must have changed the Flour from only Grain to Edible | Grain more then a year back.
Probably must have done this then allready to avoid the storage issues.

I am pretty sure I have no other Non Edibles in my Mods :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Maldrick

I've always thought those two unused flags would be a good place for inedible food and water, personally.  Under the standard set of flags, they aren't being used, so why not use them?

In the end, if inedible foods, flour or otherwise, are causing problems with vendor efficiency because it confuses them, why do they even need to be flagged as food when they are actually production intermediaries with that being their only purpose?  Even without dedicating a flag to it, Misc would work, no?

For flour or any other food intermediary being edible or not, modders should decide what works best for them and their sets.  Or accommodate the choice with a different pull-down for the production output?

Obviously, there's no right or wrong answer with any of this and it's largely a question of personal preference.  And not everyone will be happy with everything.

Mentioned it before when this came up in the past, I'd love to see some more creativity with the flags.  The existing system follows what's needed to keep everything in line with CC and that makes sense because it's so popular.  Logically, keeping everything compatible is the way to go in most cases.  But if a modder is doing a big full set, I don't see anything wrong with taking it in a different direction, either.  I think Discrepancy mentioned something about this and I'm interested in seeing what he comes up with if he does.  The problem with the current system, if one doesn't use CC, is there are simultaneously not enough flags while there also unused flags. Lol

I'd love to try some different things, myself, but I'm a long way off from that and there aren't enough flags to do what I'd like to do.  Luke threw us a big bone with the 10 extra flags.  20 would have been a lot better, though. :D
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Kyana

I know Red :P but your market does get stuck with picking up inedibles to the market and not being able to put it in then? I thought u had the solution :'(.. Why not make water misc :P? You drink it not eat it anyway. Like alcohol is not in the edibles either. Luxery water haha.

I think getting a good diet in the market is now impossible and should be on the list of priority to fix somehow :P it's a real problem for me

I agree Maldrick.

RedKetchup

if you are hungry, go pickup a full glass of water, you will see it calms hungry ! :D
thats a fact mostly reconized ^^

bah i thought i had a solution but as i said, [CC]Kralyerg said it will still trigger a loop

or you say : OK, i can store this, now if i look at the % , i need to pickup more of this
or you say : OK, i need more of this, i am gone to pickup, wait what ? i can't it store it ? ok, bring back

there is the 2 ways coding it. probably the developper made the bad choice.

brads3

can a market be set to take just inedible foods? then that could be built near a bakery or mill and would pull most of the inedible foods to it.what is stored there won't be in the other markets.as it would be used up by the mill,the vendor will always be busy emptying inedibles from barns.

the issue with moving inedibles to the misc flag is then it will store with fertilizer.any others will store in a production zone. 1 thing to consider is not all mods work with inedibles.you can correct me on that if i am wrong.seems that came up before thou.the MM is a different beast since each mod had to be changed and coded to fit.

Kyana

That's what i said Red :P thats why the food markets are not working well for their purpose.

We shouldnt have inedible food or have other flags for it. We also shouldnt have food without a category like water. Or change the "edible" flag to an "inedible" flag and put the inedibles there. Normal foodmarket only gets grain protein fruit and veg, the inedible items only 1 flag (inedible, not inedible and grain for flour). Problem solved :P

No markets cant be set to take inedibles because there is no inedible flag.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Kyana on October 15, 2018, 02:56:25 PM
No markets cant be set to take inedibles because there is no inedible flag.

THIS!

inedibles isnt a flag, this is the absence of flags :)

embx61

I think there is 1 flag left which can be used for Non Edible foods.

I not have a use for it as my Mods not have Non Edible stuff.
I never had so much market issues as others seem to have.
Sure, it is not perfect either, and indeed sometimes the market vendor gets crazy but I have seen it sorted out after a while a lot of times too, but then I not playing a game what has to be perfect in that sense.

For me it is part of the challenge and sometimes get a smile on my face to see how dumb some of those Bannies can be when they store that stuff I just put a small market for to another market a mile away. :)

Maldrick

Quote from: brads3 on October 15, 2018, 02:49:54 PM
the issue with moving inedibles to the misc flag is then it will store with fertilizer.

That's only an issue if one uses mods that have fertilizer.  For me, that's just when I'm playing with Red's big mod.  Since getting back I, finally, started playing with CC seriously.  That puts all kinds of things in there, reeds for fuel production, domesticated animals for farming, all manner of stuff.  It's Miscellaneous.  But it's the same for several other flags because there just aren't enough flags to spread everything out and also have it make logical sense.  Usually, I piece together sets using neither and that flag goes completely unused along with several others, while food and others are getting glutted.

Trying to make every mod work with every other mod creates a practical situation of there constantly not being enough flags while half of them go unused unless you are using CC or a couple of other particular mods, pretty much.

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 15, 2018, 03:01:56 PM
inedibles isnt a flag, this is the absence of flags :)

Under the standard "CC compatibility" system, Custom 8 and Custom 9 are unused.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

RedKetchup

Custom 9 is used by me to set hapiness items without the alcohol flag

Kyana

Fish and perfume? I always get fish in some tavernlike places :P why don't the luxery's go in one spot?

And what use is the edibles flag anyway, if its in protein grain fruit veg then it actually has a purpose for citizen when they consume it. An inedibles flag is much more usefull and have the edibles in the food category's.

RedKetchup

edible flag tell the game citizens eat them

embx61

There is no Non Edible flag.
Edible is sort of hard coded and if we take it out on every food the game will last maybe a couple of minutes because no Bannie will eat and so will starve to death. Game over!

The four sub groups are there to give the Bannies a health bonus if they eat food out all four groups.

I understand that some things in the game and which are modded in, not make much sense from a real life perspective but not much we modders can do about it.
We have to bend the real life rules a bit here and there or just not much mods could be created except for maybe decorations and housing.
The modding of Banished is quite limited compare with some other games which have modding support. Luke, the developer, not had modding support in mind from the start and added it on in a later stage and so it is quite limited as many things are not opened up so modders can access it.

As Luke is not working on Banished anymore this is what we have to work with.

Luxury is just the name given by the CC crew in the string table but is in Vanilla called Alcohol.

RedKetchup

yup luxury isnt a real flag, it is just the name , the look of the name at your screen that is typed with an L an U an X an U an R and an Y but in fact it as Alcohol its real name. and here, we, we still use the name Alcohol :)

it is same as mineral. mineral is the name you see at your screen, but in reality, it is coal limit.