News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Crystal Canyon - Story 36

Started by Abandoned, December 31, 2018, 08:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 36th story in the Smallville Series and tells the tale of another group of descendants of the ancestors who taught the old ways of survival and conservation to the Smallville founders.  They are descendants of those Elven ancestors who first taught Santa's reindeer how to fly.  This group of wood elves founded a secret settlement hidden away in the winter woodlands of the far north, northeast of where Pumpkin Hollow and Aspenglow would later be settled.  Crystal Canyon was settled roughly the same time as Smallville but was not on the world map until now when you discovered its secret location.  You are also about to discover a new mod by Kid, which will be released after this preview story ends.  The mod is called Fairy Tale and it is truly magical.   :)

Map is #991789157  Valley, Small, Mild, disasters Off, Medium Fairy Tale Start (5 Families)

Mods enabled and load order:

Starting and Map Changing Mods:  Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC light Rain, Landscape Nordic, DS Roads,  New Flora Edit

Tweak Mods:   Better Fields, Better Stock Piles, Better Stock Pile Storage, Bigger Wheelbarrows, Fishing Dock 25%, Hunting, Increased CC,  Long Living Orchards, 1:1 Alternative,  Rock Respawn, Woodcutter +3

Major or Must Have Mods:  An Empty Square, Kid Fairy Tale, Kid Tiny, NMT3 Pond

Supporting Mods:    Campfire, DS Bridge Crossing, DS Tunnels, EB Small Storage, Storage Crates

Yes, weary traveler, it is quite frightening to be caught and held in place by one of our Tree Fellows.  They are the guardians of our forest and our settlement.  They are afterall dendroids of might and magic and you were trespassing where you should not have been.  I will gladly tell you anything you want to know but of course you will not remember any of it when you go, and go you must.  Unless you can prove that you are a purebred wood elf, you will have to go.  Breeding purebred wood elves was the main reason our settlement was founded to begin with.  I'll start there, at the beginning ...

kid1293

:) :) :)

This will be fun!
A Happy New Year @Abandoned and to all! :)

Abandoned

:) Great mod @kid1293 I will take my Santa hat off to you :) but not until next year  :)

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

:D Happy New Year @Gatherer  ;D

Edit, adding picture missing from above post.

Gatherer

And to you too @Abandoned :)

I wish you lots of great health and many more ideas for new stories.
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 1

My name is Evetter and my husband is Danning.   We were one of the five families specially selected and transported here by the Elven Council of Elders.  We were all educated purebred wood elves gathered together from the Winter Woodlands.  Our purpose was to establish a settlement and produce a community of purebred elves well educated in all the old ways.  The tragedy, caused by careless loggers that destroyed the families of our Smallville relatives, was proof enough to the Elven Council that there were not enough protectors of the forest. 

The Elven Council chose our secluded location carefully.  By all outward appearances, should we be discovered, we were just another woodland settlement.  We were instructed not to allow anyone else to remain here under any circumstances. Our children must be purebred wood elves and we must teach them well in all things Elven.  Our education rate must remain at 100%.  We were provided with basic necessities and a Tree of Leaflets on whose leaves we could record our vital statistics and store those records inside the tree itself. 

We got to work immediately building houses and supplementing our food supply.  A fallen tree provided a natural fishing spot and we collected wild forest foods and branches for firewood as was our Elven way.  We found berries, mushrooms, onions, roots, wild oats, rosehips, herbs, and flax.  I loved our mountain house, the view of the canyon from the upstairs windows was spectacular.  Another mountain house and a school was built close by.  No child must miss starting school.

By late summer all 5 families had a home and two babies were born, another son to Rohann and Collee, and a daughter to Danning and me.  We named her Adlinett.  She should have no trouble finding a mate when she becomes of age, 5 of the 11 children were boys.  We were off to a good start.

Gatherer

Fiat panis.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

That 1st year we built a blacksmith by the storage barn and stockpile.  We needed iron tools and coats.  We had a small amount of flax but here in the north we needed warm coats.  There is of course no better hunter than an Elven archer and the area contained bears for meat and furs, grouse for game and down, plus elk and reindeer for venison and leather.

We planted a small field of corn earlier in the year without much hope that it would produce well here in this cold climate.  It was not the enchanted corn that would make reindeer fly.  The small harvest was barely completed before the temperature dropped.  The sun was far to the south and the shadows were long this time of year.  The 1st snowfall was in autumn and we needed more firewood.  We gathered all the branches we could find to tide us over until the woodcutter could begin cutting logs.

By spring of year 2, I was working as tailor in the small workshop making warm coats of hides and down.  It was close to home and I could have Adlinett there with me.  Our 2nd child was on  the way.  It didn't look like it but we knew it was spring when 2 bears with a cub passed through town.  The harmed no one and no one harmed them, Elves have a way with animals that no one can deny.

That summer a lot of attention was given to gathering wild foods, after all we had a lot of young children to feed.  In the north woods a mother tree was discovered that would serve as forester.  Our workforce was small and until needed back in town, the smith would act as forester.  Our school still did not have its 1st students and it would be several years after that before we had more workers but the future of Crystal Canyon looked promising.

kid1293

Abandoned

Yes, it must.  I chose Mild but it gets very low temperatures, it snows in autumn, and the corn does not grow well.  I am very glad the New Flora Edit works well with it.  I love the angle of the sun and the long shadows of the North. There is less snow than in Aspenglow  ;D

brads3

yeah, the mild north setting is like colder than a medium normal setting. 1 thing i did notice in soe quick tests i ran is the pastures were a bright green with the nordic landscape map.its was a washed out flourescant green with no grass texture to it. that was with it above the RK,so might not affect with ther mods. at least i wanred ya. :)

Abandoned

Thanks for warning @brads3   :)  I just placed a fenceless pasture (in future chapter) and texture of grass is okay Nordic green.  Are you still using that Season Fx mod?  That would surely affect it I would think.  I have yet to try that mod.

brads3

glad to hear it isn't affecting you. i tried it several ways. best i have is below the RK.it blends the bright grass with RED's terrains,looks like where RED has dirt the nordic grass fills in.did seem to have the north climate even with it below.only did some quick tests since i was in mid-game already. next game is goina be ots of tests with RED's updates.

Abandoned