News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand alone or Steam version?

Started by solarscreen, May 10, 2014, 08:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canis39

I play on Steam as well.  I bought two copies of the game on Steam, and may eventually buy a standalone copy as well, to support the developer and as a failsafe in case I lose internet connection or something.

I have grown to love Steam...I tend to be disorganized so having a lot of my games in one place is nice...autopatching is nice...and the sales are NICE.

Demonocracy

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't really know what Steam is.  I guess I'm out of touch with some of the more modern sources of gaming.

That said... is there a difference in the game between offline and Steam as far as gameplay itself?

Kaldir

Steam is a platform where games you buy are linked to your account, and are available for direct download. So with just your Steam login you can download your previously bought games to any computer with internet access. No need to search for DVD's, and no need to separately download those patches from the developer's website that might not exist anymore, since Steam automatically patches your games.

To prevent you from 'lending' your games to friends, you need to login to Steam to play those games: the Steam DRM.

As for Banish, the game-play is identical in standalone and Steam version (except for the much talked about beta patch 1.0.2).

Edit: many major game developers as well as many indy developers work with Steam, sometimes optional (as with Banished), sometimes mandatory (for instance with Civilization V). Steam has it's shop, where you can buy the games directly, which often has sales. Depending on your country, those sales might be awesome or just meh.

slink

@Demonocracy:  Not at the moment, unless you count the beta 1.0.2 patch which is only available to Steam users.  And don't feel ashamed of not knowing about Steam.  It is mostly for people who want a certified scoreboard so they can compete with other players.  Apparently it also doubles as a storehouse for people who can't locate their storage media when they want to re-install, and a no-brainer way to upgrade.

mariesalias

Quote from: slink on May 18, 2014, 01:23:33 PM
@Demonocracy:  Not at the moment, unless you count the beta 1.0.2 patch which is only available to Steam users.  And don't feel ashamed of not knowing about Steam.  It is mostly for people who want a certified scoreboard so they can compete with other players.  Apparently it also doubles as a storehouse for people who can't locate their storage media when they want to re-install, and a no-brainer way to upgrade.

This is not entirely true. While there are certainly some who use it for these reasons, not everyone does. For instance, I originally got my Sims 3 expansions on Steam because I did not want to get them trough Origin. With a then-small child (and being a tad forgetful myself) physical discs become less attractive to have around the house. It really is convenient to have many of your games in one place, as well.

I have stand alone versions of many games, as well, so I like being able to simplify things when I can. And I really hate having to reinstall everything! But I also like Battlenet for keeping my Blizzard games in one place. I was a later adopter of Steam, my husband had it for years before i would install it. I am not very quick to adopt new technology until it is proven to me. My husband also had Windows 7 (part of that time as a beta tester) for over a years before i was satisfied with it enough to install it on mine.

Steam does have DRM though, so it is not for everyone, and it is by no means perfect. Maybe it is because I am a long-time EA/Origin user that I find Steam so nice. Origin... bleh. If I weren't so addicted to the Sims games, I would not have it on my computer at all. :\

canis39

"To prevent you from 'lending' your games to friends, you need to login to Steam to play those games: the Steam DRM."

Steam actually has an option to lend your games to friends.  I just did that for my friend who is just barely getting into Steam.  He now has access to all of my 120+ games.  It's pretty cool.

rkelly17

I got into Steam because that was the only way you could get Civilization V. For Civ V that has become the primary place to get mods, of which I have downloaded a few. I have no interest in seeing what other people do or how they score or in multiplayer, so I never access that part. I have no friends on Steam (poor, sad me). It is a good, centralized place to find out about games I might otherwise have missed--like Banished. I also don't have to go hunting for the CD when I want to play. I do long for the days when I didn't have to be connected to the web to play my favourite games.

Kaldir

Quote from: canis39 on May 18, 2014, 03:03:58 PM
"To prevent you from 'lending' your games to friends, you need to login to Steam to play those games: the Steam DRM."

Steam actually has an option to lend your games to friends.  I just did that for my friend who is just barely getting into Steam.  He now has access to all of my 120+ games.  It's pretty cool.

I saw it recently yes. Trouble is that the other can only see and use your games when you don't use Steam yourself. That makes it much less appealing to me. But it's a neat feature for some.

rkelly17

@canis39, 120+ games! I thought I was being excessive with 7 or 8. Now I find that I have 120 more to go.

As to one's friends only using shared games (as I said I have no "friends," so no sharing) I have Steam installed on my desktop and on my laptop. Steam only lets me use one at a time, and if I use Steam on the laptop I have to do a full logon the next time I use the desktop (and vice versa). Steam is very strictly one at a time.

mariesalias

Thanks! I had not noticed that you could share games like that.  This is good news as now I can 'lend' my son some of the games I had originally gotten for him on my Steam account (but refuse to pay for again without huge sales). 

@rkelly17  I have not played Civ V in so long. Feels like I had barely begun exploring it before I had to uninstall it. Civ is the game with the most potential to just suck my time away; I get way too involved in it and too unresponsive to my family while playing! I miss playing it so much but I know I just don't have the kind of free time I would need to play it currently. :\ 
If you want friends on Steam you could add me, though I have actually never done much with the friend system there. I use the same name there there as here.

I would be interested in hearing what mods you like for Civ 5 and why. I've never actually modded any version of Civilization.  And while I can't play it right now, I will at some point (hopefully not too far off!).

canis39

Kaldir, I'm not sure what you mean by "the other can only see and use your games when you don't use Steam yourself."

My friend can access my games whether I am using Steam or not.  I can be using Steam to play Banished, and he can play one of my other games at the same time.  We can't use the same game at the same time, but other than that there are no restrictions that I'm aware of.

rkelly - yeah, I am a little bit shocked at how quickly my Steam library has grown.  It's mostly due to bundles (Bundle Stars and Humble Bundle primarily) and Steam sales.  I am a sucker for buying games at ridiculously low prices.

I'm always open to new Steam "friends" so feel free to add me if you'd like.  I don't do much on Steam other than play games, but I do find it interesting to see which games my "friends" are playing.

Kaldir

Quote from: canis39 on May 19, 2014, 06:58:23 PM
Kaldir, I'm not sure what you mean by "the other can only see and use your games when you don't use Steam yourself."

My friend can access my games whether I am using Steam or not.  I can be using Steam to play Banished, and he can play one of my other games at the same time.  We can't use the same game at the same time, but other than that there are no restrictions that I'm aware of.

Ow cool! I had read that only one of you could accesss your Steam library at the same time, so when you would be playing Banished, the other couldn't use your library or any games. The Steam FAQ isn't really that clear about it, but some article I read mentioned it like this. I didn't really try it after that. It will be much more useful this way. Thanks for the info.

rkelly17

@mariesalias and @canis39, thank you for being willing to be my friends. It's probably because you don't know me very well. ;)

When I play Civ 5 (which I've only done once or twice since I got Banished) I use a few mods that do thing like add more ships, add more luxuries, add more great works of art, etc. I also like mods that give more information or allow greater customization of my civilization. I also have one that slightly changes Ethiopia's colour so that you don't mistake Ethiopian units for barbarians and start a war by accident. I use about 10 or so mods. I have several that I would like to use, but they seem to cause odd behaviour--probably conflict with other mods. I also have a significant amount of user-generated content for SimCity 4 which I have downloaded from Simtropolis and SC4Devotion.

Kaldir

I've played quite a lot of Civ V as well, but not anywhere recent. Mods I really liked for Civ V are:

Communitas Expansion Pack (previously aka Unofficial Patch and VEM [Vanilla Enhanced Mod])
This really changes a lot in game, and mostly for the better. But read up about it before installing.
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86369999

InfoAddict
This adds and enhances several information screens, including some timeline graphs. Must have for the statistic and information addicts.
Website: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391069
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=79000477

City-State Diplomacy Mod
Change City-State diplomacy from gold-giving to a unit-based system, where you have to build diplomats and send them to the city-state. Pretty cool, but haven't used it with the latest expansion, so no idea how good it still is.
Website: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392543
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159412005

Legendary Earth Mod
A very good Earth map with true (sort of) starting locations for civs, including "old world start".
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=78503985

This is slightly off-topic, but still a good example of how Steam can work with modding.

canis39

You are right, the Steam FAQ was not very clear!  I only learned through trial and error.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well Steam works with mods.  I have about 80 mods for Skyrim, ~40 through the Steam Workshop and ~40 through the Skyrim Nexus, and they all work together through Steam.

I cannot wait until Banished mods start coming out.  I love when already-great games are improved even more by user-created content.