News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Quatre Bras: incorporating mods

Started by irrelevant, October 14, 2014, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I can't stand it. I'm building a town and not showing off!  :-[ So here's Quatre Bras.

I've always liked the name, whether for it's historical significance, its humorous possibilities, or for the fact that I've been there and looked down the slope from where Wellington watched Ney come marching up thru the cornfields.

Anyway, going to try out some mods for the first time. Here's what I'm using:

RK Warehouse
RK Irrelevant Tweak Crop
RK Creamery and Dairy
RK Decorative Items
RK Small Chapel
RK General Goods Merchant Fix
SJGL Small Markets
Pangaea Longer-living Orchards
Better Fields
Flatten Terrain
Fountain Mod Lite
Town & Textiles
Pangaea No Wind

Seed

Start

First builds are a hunter and a forester out in a clearing, going to make a forest that I otherwise would not have. Four foresters set to plant only. It's a huge investment and will take some years to pay off, but I think it's a good move. Going to grab up all the stone, iron, and mature trees (one by one) from the circle so there's more room to plant.

The hunter already is producing ok. Going to rely on hunting and farming for food; I'll also build a gatherer for bonus food.

First year, one wooden house. Two more each year for several years. SOP.

irrelevant

Year 3

Three farms working; love the better fields mod. This is delightful. Not a cheat, a miracle!

Used the Flatten Terrain tool at the end of the peninsula there to make a spot for a fisher. Just had to splat 5 squares for it to fit. Won't be building it just yet though.

The new forest is filling in nicely. A year or two more and I can start harvesting.

Feeling flush with stone and iron, and plenty more surface stuff at hand.

The hunting cabin has an uneducated hunter  >:( my one uneducated bannie. Die.

Chopper and smith are up, tailor is next, then the market. Need a full-blown market first, then I'll use Slink's lovely stuff on the periphery.

irrelevant

Year 7

The forester gamble has paid off, comfortable supplies of logs, probably the first time ever for me.

A full forest node in the south.

Experimenting with farm layouts, changing them every year (that's why there's no roads at the farms). I kind of like 20x6s, but I'm not sold 100% on them just yet.

A cemetery, just in case. I am well-stocked with stone. Planning a quarry and a mine to the southeast.

Screen 2 - Spring 7, the first TP is up. This will be the center of a micro-town using Slink's Markets.

Screen 3 - Winter 7, Farm Market  :)

irrelevant

Early Spring 8

Screen 1 - First merchant brings stone; cool! Placed orders for logs, stone, iron, wool.

Screen 2 - Built the fisher, houses and a barn. Judicious use of the flattening tool was extremely useful here. Again, not a cheat, a gift! :D

Screen 3 - Overall view of the main development. Another forester; I am really beginning to appreciate these guys. Build them everywhere, they're cheap! Free logs.

Screen 4 -  The southern fringe. Mine and quarry are going in the lower right left corner. More farms first though.

Mahnogard

Nice start! Interesting map, too, and love the name. :)

The foresters are coming along nicely.  I'm a huge fan of foresters. I think they are either underutilized by most players on the larger maps, or they just don't mention that they are using them.

irrelevant

Yes, it's a very nice map. This is the second town I've started on it; the first one got over-extended and I used too much stone. That was the town where I decided that building wooden houses from the start was the way to go, regardless of onlookers' scorn  ;)

You can start building stone houses when the merchants start bringing it. Until then, you just chop more firewood. With well-sited foresters, logs are free.

Mahnogard

I don't build stone houses. Ever. Not since I did it for the related achievement. My sense of aesthetics won't allow it. But since I'm so used to not using the stone houses, I'm used to managing the increased firewood / coal usage, so it's business as usual. I will probably begin using Slink's Snug Houses on my next town or soon thereafter, though, so it'll probably feel like a windfall to have my heating costs go down.

irrelevant

Yeah, the stone houses are bug-ugly (it's the slate roofs. Rooves? WTF?). But should you get to 1000 houses, the difference between wood and stone is 15-20,000 fuel per year. Just something to consider.

Pangaea

Looks like a promising start, and it's fun to see somebody besides myself use my mods :D

That fishery must be such a killer, perfect location, and you've even got the houses and barn pretty close by. What's the intake? You seem to have a real knack for finding great hunter spots too. I never get those numbers with just one hunter :|

Stone houses aren't nice at all, and very expensive in the beginning, so I don't really understand why people would build them from the start. Seems to me the downsides outweigh the gains. At some point it becomes pretty difficult to keep up with firewood supply, though, so I had to start turning the hundreds of woodhouses into stonehouses. They look dreadful, but I've got more used to them now, so don't notice it quite as much as in the start. The difference in firewood consumption is pretty large, so with hundreds of houses it really adds up. If you spent 15,000 firewood to heat woodhouses, the same cost is 10,000 with stonehouses. Even with much fewer houses, it quickly adds up. I too always put them off, though, as stone houses don't look good at all.

Tied to the above, I'm also a forester lover ;D Need some manpower, but they're great buildings. Free logs, and the landscape looks better.

RedKetchup

... quatre ( = 4 = four in french) wonderbra ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I am happy to see, you started a new blog. I promise there will be questions. But not now.

For some reason I have problems to open these larger pictures (png, bmp), suppose my internet-connection makes trouble again.

One question  ;D

Why do you not use the smaller jpg picture format?

By the way; I agree with you all:

Stonehouses - ugly - only built them if I "have to"

Forests - beautiful, my favourite part of the Banished-"buildings". If I have the space, I build more foresters than I need, just to see the deep thick forests. :) (Same in life, I am a forest-person, love to spend time in the forest "playing gatherer". Mainly collecting berries and mushrooms)

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 15, 2014, 02:51:27 AM
... quatre ( = 4 = four in french) wonderbra ?
Ohh, I misspelled it in my post. It's correct in the game. Quatre Bras

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on October 15, 2014, 03:28:50 AM

One question  ;D

Why do you not use the smaller jpg picture format?

@Nilla , I never thought about it. I use MS Paint, and that is its default format. I shall start using jpg.

irrelevant

Quote from: Pangaea on October 15, 2014, 12:36:44 AM
That fishery must be such a killer, perfect location, and you've even got the houses and barn pretty close by. What's the intake? You seem to have a real knack for finding great hunter spots too. I never get those numbers with just one hunter :|
Yeah, I expect big things from the fisher, but this is its first year, and so far I have only two fishermen.

The hunter just north of the market hasn't really panned out as he should have, the uneducated fellow just won't go away. I fired him twice and put him to work gathering, but he keeps coming back. He lives right there is why; maybe time to upgrade his house!

irrelevant

Year 10

The fisher starts to produce. Wasn't ready for sheep, but that's what the merchant brought, so I put up a fast pasture in the only available spot. Hadn't really thought about where livestock would go.

The first two deaths; happiness takes a half-star hit (probly more cause I made the laborers cut down trees in the cold, rather than cause of the losses, sad though they were), so a @RedKetchup chapel is built. :)

Damn! Another dead female, another codger living alone. And 5 single females in their 20s, with no males but one 13 y/o student. >:( :o