News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla´s Doolin - it´s all about the speed

Started by Nilla, November 22, 2014, 02:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on November 24, 2014, 08:07:11 AM
I must confess something; I said in my first thread, I want to try to make 1000 people in 25 years. It was to that time a really unrealistic figure, what I thought never would be possible to make. Made it as some kind of a provocation, to see if anyone dared to say anything. Nothing came. I cannot say, if it was because no one read my long blogs,  if you are too polite and nice to say something or if you all had a much better sens of the possibilities of the game, than I had.

I did chime in, I said I thought you never would crash. But I certainly never imagined you could ramp up pop this fast! I almost feel challenged!  ;)

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on November 24, 2014, 05:16:13 PM

I did chime in, I said I thought you never would crash. But I certainly never imagined you could ramp up pop this fast! I almost feel challenged!  ;)

I promise you, this game will crash! It is kind of the point. ;)

Please take the challenge, I would like that. It's nice to change between the fast and the slow game. Perhaps you would like it, too. ;D

I have thought a bit how I like to look at my two Doolins, how to compare the two settlements. I will look at the two games more closely, at the same population. Unfortunately the first game is far in advance and I do not make many saves, but I have a few screenshots. (Not so nice looking but it has to work).

I will show you my 2 Doolins with a population of 100. The first picture shows the figures next to eachother. I have marked the things I find most interesting.

I am a bit surprised that the number of adults is the same, 68 in both games.

1. Used area. The slow game is more spread.
2. Stores. The slow game has stores inspired by the games of @irrelevant ;) (I have decided not to increase the production for a while). The stores of the fast game are barely enough.
3. Workforce. In the fast game I have built a lot in a short time= many builders and many labourers preparing the building places, collecting and carrying building materials. In the slow game I had time and resources to develop some "export-industry". Export industry and the more spread settlement also need more logistics (vendors, stockerers and traders).

1. pic
Comparison

2. pic
Fast settlement (sorry don't look nice; it rains)

3. pic
Slow settlement; Red Village

4. pic
Slow settlement; Blue Village

salamander

Quote from: Nilla on November 25, 2014, 04:35:29 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on November 24, 2014, 05:16:13 PM
Please take the challenge, I would like that. It's nice to change between the fast and the slow game. Perhaps you would like it, too. ;D

Is there a possible head-to-head challenge on the horizon ... something to satisfy the bloodthirsty masses?  Only time will tell.  ;D

Nilla

Just reached 900 in my fast game. The 1000 must wait until tomorrow. Too tireing to go on now. I will play that other Doolin a year or two before I go to bed. Very relaxing!

The game runs at the moment. Had no real problems. Increased food and pieproduction. For the first time, I can buy what I need. :)
Only one thing: I just realized that I play with disasters on (infestation at an orchard). I hope there will be no fire in my industrial area.  :-\ Built some more wells, just in case.

irrelevant

@Nilla Gosh, that looks nice! I love an organic town.

It kinda reminds me of this, except yours was developed far more quickly:

Nilla

;D
Mine looks better  ;) (thought I never could say that, comparing a game from me with one of yours @irrelevant )
I somehow like those roofs. From @slink´s three store houses and markets, @RedKetchup´s medieval buildings, the original barns.................. all very nice together. With these buildings even such a tight built industrial area looks nice.

To my big astonishment I also see that I have almost as many barns as you have @irrelevant . I am chocked! Must be more influenced from your games, than I want to admit. ;)

Nilla

Look at this!  ;D
Finally, some nomads........ 136 of them!

What will I do?

Wait until I have my 1000 population, take the nomads........ and go for the 2000  !!!!!

Maybe a new goal; 2000 in 25 years?   :-\ ;D  ??? ;D ::)

But I will not play any more now, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry, the picture isn't very nice. It seems to rain a lot in this settlement. The picture shows my new small industrial area.

Nilla

Haven't played any more today but (yes I am a bit crazy) I made some calculations. (Sorry 40 years of engineering training cannot be hidden)  :-[

And yes it is in theory possible to make 2000 inhabitants in 25 years, even in 24, considering the 135 nomads.

I must "only" build enough houses, so that the girls go on having their first baby with 12........  ;D

Nilla

I am not feeling very well at present, so no more exciting fast Doolin. Just a little bit of calm playing the slow version. It makes me even feel a little bit better. :)

It's going on as it is supposed to. It is strange to have an educated population, after you have played two games with the unskilled, low producing uneducated. ;) I will start to slow the growth down a bit more in  the next years and not increase the production much more. I have too much of everything. My many barns are sometimes even full. I have to stock proteins. Also got the idea to process some milk too cheese. So now my population fests on pie, cheese and meat, they also drink a lot of ale. :) Pure luxury!

The settlement now has 200 inhabitants and I am curious to compare it with the fast game. So I made the same picture, as I did with 100 inhabitants, comparing numbers from the two games, cut together in one picture.

1. map
Both settlements now looks more alike, with each one farming area.

2.population
As expected, the fast Doolin has more children.

3. stores
Same as the last time; Slow Doolin - full stores, overproduction everywhere. Fast Doolin - barely enough of everything, it is hard to find anything to trade with.

4. occupations
More food-producers in the fast settlement. There must be. Food is always first priority and the uneducated are inefficient. I would have liked very much to see the production numbers but I have no screenshot on that. Next time will be better. I have a save from fast Doolin with 300 inhabitants.

1. pic
Comparing booth Doolins, 200 inhabitants

2 pic
The new orange village (the red and the blue village don´t look much different from last time)

Nilla

Fast Doolin
I did as I said I would; made 1000 population in early summer 21, took the nomads and went on to play.
This is really something! Makes a lot of fun! I must ask myself, why I didn't try this before. The answer might be, that it wouldn't be possible without some of the mods. (or maybe I should try that some time)  ;D

Luckily I didn't get cholera or pest or something really evil with the nomads, just mumps. There are still sick people, but only very few die. I could also give the nomads roofs over their heads faster than I thought. I used a little trick; I went through all (?) of the houses and forced divorced couples together again. Perhaps I got 15 extra houses for the nomads this way. I also tried to build nothing but houses. I am now a little bit behind again. It always happens when I build much other things. I have built some more markets (big and small), some tradingports and also increased most production.

Now it's enough for now.
1400 inhabitants in autumn 22 (even a bit ahead of my simulation ;) )

1. pic autumn 21
Building platoon on its way. I need a lot more new houses.

2. pic early spring 22
Available houses pretty close to the demand :) This is the latest market area in the upper left corner. There will be most farms around it.

3. pic autumn 22
The second industrial area, developed in the last few years.

4. pic Slow Doolin
I played a little slow Doolin yesterday. I took a closer look around before I finished and saw this. This farmstand makes real good business! I'll show more when I reach 300 inhabitants.

Nilla

I reached a population of 300 in the slow Doolin yesterday and have now compared my both Doolin-settlements at the same population. It is quite interesting to look at the figures.

But no real surprises.

I have been thinking of a strategy for the slow Doolin, I will try to keep a constant population. Wrote about it in @irrelevant´s blog. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=651.msg12007#msg12007

Pic 1
Numbers

Pic 2
Fast Doolin with 300 inhabitants

Pic 3
Slow Doolin with 300 inhabitants (orange and blue village)

Pic 4
Slow Doolin, red village a little later. You may see, my strategy "at work".

Nilla

I went on with my slow Doolin yesterday. Again I wrote a little bit more in @irrelevants blog.

I stayed on to my strategy. 55 children. If it dropped under 50, I built houses or sent families with adult children to the boardinghouses, so new families could be founded. If the number of children went above 60, I closed some houses of old people, with no children at home.

It didn't went on perfect. I am not very patiant and do "overreact". I didn't notice that the average number of children went down for a period, maybe to 53, but the consequences are bigger later. The population goes down now, not much to do about it. There is another problem for me. It is an interesting game, I want to see the result, but it is also a very boring game. I don't do much. I ran it a lot with 5X and 10X speed, I also let it run a bit, doing other things.

But I will not give in so soon! On we go to the next 19-years-period of game ;)  :-\

"And now: Something completely different!" (Who knows where I got that quote?????)
It is sometimes really funny to run the spell check. If a word or combination of words is unknown, there will be a suggestion. This is sometimes the funny part. The spell-check-program didn't like my "years-period" from my last sentence. Guess how it want it to be changed............
---- desperado......????? Where is the sense of that?

Nilla

It works quite well. Not perfect but well enough.
Just made 100 years.

Discovered some intersting things, which I will tell next time. Just want to show the population graph.

irrelevant

Nilla

I said in my last thread that I made some discoveries. To be true, it is only one. A big important one!
If you want to build a long-term-self-running-settlement, don't play disasters on!
Look at the pictures. A small review of 8 years disasters.  ::)

1. Picture, early spring 88,
tornado 1, much luck only 6 dead people and 3 buildings destroyed

2. Picture, late winter 89,
tornado 2, even more luck; only 4 dead people and 1 fishing dock destroyed

3. Picture, late winter 94,
infestation at an orchard

4 picture, early winter 95,
fire, a house with two families destroyed

5. Picture, late winter 96
still infestation at the orchards. It has spread to 5. I thought, if you do nothing, all trees will die, infestation will be gone, farmers plant new trees and in a couple of years there will be delicious cherries again. But NO! Bannies are not known to be very clever! I know! These farmers are an example of the real stupid ones. Tree dies, diligent farmers plant new tree at once, other trees are still sick so new tree gets sick and die, too, farmers plant new tree, new tree get sick...............Infestation lasts for ever, if you do not delete orchard/cut all trees manually.