News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Crossed hands recovery help needed.

Started by A Nonny Moose, May 26, 2015, 01:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Today, while contending with electricians installing stuff, getting groceries and getting blood tests, I managed to mess up my installation of this game.  So I picked up my .wine prefix for 32-bit and checked.  Banished was not installed, so I must have fumble fingered moving prefixes around. 

Anyway, I reinstalled the game from my Downloads directory (Version 4.10), added back the mods I am using, then installed the Directx June 2010 redistributable in C:\Windows\System32\Directx.  Everything is working except I have no sound.

What did I miss, please?
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

A Nonny Moose

Today, I tried a further install of the June 2010 update, and overlaid the DirectX 9.0c directory in my wine prefix.  No improvement.  I really wish I could remember what I did originally to get the sound working.

RedKetchup

maybe one of these days, soon, Banished will be released in Linux :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Gatherer

I don't want to be mean or anything like that...but after several "error" threads have you ever considered of getting rid of Wine?

Windows is buggy yes, but nothing like stuff you keep experiencing (and informing us) with Banished.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

A Nonny Moose

If you think that I am going to start paying scot to those robber barons in Redmond, think again.  There is really nothing wrong with wine.  It just hasn't caught up to the current programming style used in Banished. 

I haven't paid for a Windows license since I bought XP many years ago, and I don't even have a copy of any MS software any more other than some of the downloads from their library to support my wine configuration.

However, I did have a perfectly working version of Banished until I stepped on my wine prefix while running something else, and had to rebuild my 32-bit prefix.  Somewhere in there I lost the sound for Banished, but it plays without it.  I just miss all the moos, baas and clinks.

wine is having a little problem right now with multi-tasking, but considering that this is an old machine with only two cores, I am not surprised.  If I get frustrated enough, I'll probably lay out a few bucks for a new box of tricks.  It is getting harder and harder these days to purchase a machine without the Microsoft fiasco preloaded.  I am having to deal with the local OEM guys, who are usually pretty accommodating, if expensive.  If my vision and eye-hand coordination were good enough, I'd build my own machine, but that's out.

Anyway, I keep trying different positions for the June 2010 DirectX distro, and I am sure I'll hit the right one soon, since nobody has seen fit to say where they put it.