News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Upcoming City Building Games for 2020

Started by Admin, December 17, 2019, 09:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

brads3

BANISHED beats every 1 of them hands down. banished has better graphics and doesn't look cartoonish. with our awesome modders we span more eras all the way from nomadic to the 1800's. our buildings look more realistic. with LUKE giving the modders the tools and the modders' hard work, we have the best build game.

there are some on the video that show potential for a post-apocalyptic survival game. there were some buildings fro the ROMAN game that could be brought to banished.RED already did the egypt game.

added note- i did look at DAWN OF MAN. it has potential but woud need heavy modding for about 5 years. the game play and ability to control or set each character to a task was a good concept. the game stalls at the discovery of agriculture post-caveman era.it needs a lot of work to go from those grass huts to houses and towns.

Admin

@brads3 I would have to agree with you on your assessment. I post this every year just to show what's coming out and let people see just how good Banished is.

I have been looking at Planet Zoo lately. WOW, there are so many options and objects in that game not to mention trying to keep all your animals alive and prospering.  If you get tired of growing humans, check out Planet Zoo. Looks tempting!

moonbelf

Totally agree with @brads3, Banished is still the best. I am so hooked on this game lol.

angainor88

Some of these look very interesting. I appreciate you putting up the video every year @The Big Chihuahua :)

I am not a fan of the art style of some of these (specifically the 2D isometric view ones). I just can't get into them, even if it's a good game.

I have played Dawn of Man a bunch and enjoyed it, but I see so much potential for modding every time I do.

I try so many of these kinds of games, but I always come back to banished.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

theonlywanderer

Foundation is really the only one that has any interest for me to check out.

I still think the full Banished code should go to Open Source and allow the community to fully exploit the entire game.  Lets face it, the guy is done with it, right?   So why not.

Is he still working on Banished 2?

I was really hoping Life is Feudal: Forest Village was going to keep evolving.   It's worst aspect was it's crappy zoom levels.  I don't know why these games can't allow more freedom of viewing.    But this game really had a chance I think.

Artfactial

Distant Kingdoms might scratch my itch if its features are deep enough.:)
Foundation does look nice in its freedom of building and simulating but I'm not sure about the art-style.
Workers And Recourses has looked pretty rough in it's early stages but is doing a lot of things well and very uniquely.
I've been following Builders of Egypt for a while and it has a pretty good historical and visual basis. It appears to lean more towards Sim City building plopping than methodical building, by the early looks though.

Anno 1800 will also be released from it's Epic Store stranglehold so I might get that.

Yesterday a new one was announced which some here might be interested in, Endzone- A World Apart. A post-apocalyptic townbuilder and survival game. It nicely blends Banished and Fallout, I'm quite impressed by what is shown!

brads3

post-apacalyptic is a hard era to do. i disagree that people will have to buid from scratch, let alone the shack type houses of ENDZONE. there are so many scenarios that could happen to make it challenging for a game developer to decide where to start. the survivalist and prepper culture has a huge following now. i do think a game from that idea could be a success. it would have to have more options for what might cause the apacalypse. most games are geared from zombies and  the fighting aspect.

i think if a game was developed carefully with the right options, the prepper community might pick it up as a learning tool. an option to pick between pandemic,weather disaster<ice age or gobal warming>, natural disaster< hurricane,earthquake,etc>,wide spread electrical outage, or maybe a govern break down or war situation< terrorism,religeous war,anarchy>. now give the player options of starting skills and different supply scenarios or as they call it a bugout spot. how these start choices affect the game and survivability of the player would become the training or learning tool for the survivalist communtiy or preppers. that woud be the selling point. i do think there is a market for such a game.

angainor88

Oh wow that Endzone game looks fun! Absolutely that is going on my watch list

TheOtherMicheal

I don't know how many of you decided to get Endzone but I got it after it was released on Steam and I've found that many of the concepts are just the same as Banished. If you're familiar with Banished (yes I know you all are!) then Endzone will be very easy to learn.
There's a few extra complexities like researching technology and creating suitable clothing but generally it feels very much like Banished  :)

Artfactial

Ah that's great to hear!
It really does look very well done.:)

theonlywanderer

I checked out End Zone on Youtube and it does look interesting, will have to give it a go.

My biggest issue with a lot of these games is the user interface.   It can be a great game in general, but make the user interface in to a clusterf of madness and it's just no fun play for me

I was really looking forward to Frost Punk, but it's just a an oddball game with burdensome game play.  Sure I want to play the game, but I don't care about every single minute detail.  Put a building down and let it do its thing.  I don't want to control it's power levels, heating and personally choose which people work there.  The game was non stop with the peeps having too many issues and always something running out and all at the same time and not enough resources to accomplish anything.   It was just too much and too frustrating to continue.

TheOtherMicheal

Endzone also has the complexity of electricity - you have to research a solar powerplant and then build it and then run electricity cables to the various buildings but if you overload the electric grid, bad things can apparently happen (I haven't seen that yet because all my citizens died before that ever became a problem!)
However, it seems as though you don't have to have electricity, things will work without it but they work better when they have power.

You also have scavenging as another sort of gathering. So just like the Gatherer, Hunter or Herbalist in Banished collects items from the wilds, the scavenger in Endzone does the same but with specific buildings marked on the map.

theonlywanderer

I'm familiar with electricity scenario from playing Automation Empire.   That game had me hooked for quite a awhile.  After beating all the planet scenario's in the hardest mode, I quit playing it.   I would like to continue messing with AE, but it lacks a couple major functions... blueprints and expansion of buildings.  You can't just copy entire buildings or expand them.  You have to delete the building and completely rebuild it and everything in it just to make it another square larger.  So yeah, it's massively repetitive to the point where I've had enough after beating all the scenarios.

Another massive plus to Banished is the ability to keep dialog boxes visible like professions, limits and other stats that you can reference real time.  Most other games you have to keep opening those dialogs to make changes and can't keep that immediate feedback.