News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-filling small maps

Started by Nilla, June 16, 2019, 03:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Quote from: irrelevant on July 02, 2019, 06:26:39 AM
I played the North when it first came out. I enjoyed the town I made using it, but it didn't make me want to try another.

I downloaded RKEC1.03 and started a town with that as my only mod. I have to say that I love it!  The changes that @RedKetchup has made to the basic game (refining ore at the smith, making cloth and flax at the tailor, making firewood from thatch at the chopper, lumber, etc) add so much depth that was missing. I'm only in year 7 or so, but I'm having the most fun I have had with any set of mods.
Hi @irrelevant ,

I am curious as to why you didn't want to try North again after your first town there? I giggled when I read that and was just curious as to how come.

You said you installed and played RKEC 1.03.  His current version is 1.31 why did you start with an older version? 

I have a comment about that last part you said. I just got here to WOB and Banished on June 14th of this year but you all have seemed to have been here for years. The way I read that last part of your reply is that in all this time, this is the first time you have ever tried RKEC? Again...in all this time with you and RedKetchup being friends here... this is your first time using his mod? I find that odd and funny if I am interpreting that correctly!

Cheers!

Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

irrelevant

Quote from: MarkAnthony on July 03, 2019, 04:11:18 PM

Hi @irrelevant ,

I am curious as to why you didn't want to try North again after your first town there? I giggled when I read that and was just curious as to how come.

You said you installed and played RKEC 1.03.  His current version is 1.31 why did you start with an older version? 

I have a comment about that last part you said. I just got here to WOB and Banished on June 14th of this year but you all have seemed to have been here for years. The way I read that last part of your reply is that in all this time, this is the first time you have ever tried RKEC? Again...in all this time with you and RedKetchup being friends here... this is your first time using his mod? I find that odd and funny if I am interpreting that correctly!

Cheers!
I don't really remember, that was some time ago, August 2016. Maybe I'll try it again sometime, or at least open that town back up and take a look around. Or maybe I won't.  ;) I like what I'm working on now.

I was relying on my no-so-good memory, my RKEC is indeed version 1.31.

I haven't really used mods much the past couple of years, and for the past year you may recall I was mainly just letting Gopher Prairie run unattended continuously. Also, RKEC is not exactly the only mod RK has ever made. I've already used most of his other great stuff in one town or another.

Nilla

Yesterday nothing really went well in this game. I´ll tell you to the pictures what happened.

First picture
This is a minor nuisance; but why must a chapel burn in each Nordic game? I have written about it before; a very old (12th century), beautiful wooden chapel, very much looking like the Nordic chapel, burned in my village some 15 years ago. Is this an evil spell to remind me of that terrible occasion?

The inventory looks perfect at this time.

Second picture
This nuisance is more severe. There are more people ill than I have places in the small hospitals. And people who get ill without a doctor, never (or at least very hard) regain any stars. I don´t think there was so many more ill at the same time than on this picture, so the harm wasn´t all too big. You can´t see any influence on the overall picture yet on this picture but later it´s noticeable but not so much that you lose a star.

Third picture
Here you can see something that isn´t a nuisance, instead rather nice: the flooded quarry. The map is full, I will not build any more houses or anything else big that will use a lot of stones. I have kept a store if there´s another fire or I decide to change something but now food is more important than stones. The fisher doesn´t catch all too much but it´s much better than a quarry ruin.

What's not nice is the look at my food production. I do have plenty of apples. That´s the only good thing, all other food categories are too low and I will not be able to increase the production, at least not much. I see problems coming. No minor or major nuisance; REAL TROUBLE!  :( :-[

You may also see, that I´ve lost a ½ star and a ½ heart. That´s only partly because of the illness from the last picture. I have also built some houses at the edges of the map to work at the sites I located there. The villages are too far away for these remote farms and orchards; better farmers with 3 stars than living very far away. I also guess that their diet isn´t as good as it should be.

Fourth picture
Here you can see the production numbers. I do produce as much food as I need, but just barely enough and the population still grows pretty fast.

Another problem that will increase the trouble is that I don´t have enough lamp oil so I can´t run my coalmines as much as I wanted and I definitely can´t produce any gold, that I wanted to sell to buy lamp oil, wool and iron. Instead, I need to produce more firewood than I planned, which means I must cut much more trees than I planned, which means there will grow much fewer herbs and the trapper will catch much less wild animals, which means I will have much fewer herbs and fur to sell to buy lamp oil, wool and iron. A very "good" typical example of these Banished "death spirals" where one bad thing leads to the next and so on until everything collapses.

I will try to survive this but I´m not very optimistic. I have ordered lamp oil from every possible boatman and I´ve built another small trading port. I don´t really have goods to "load it" but there happened to be a nice free spot and I want to increase the chances to get the necessary lamp oil.

Nilla

I didn't have much time to play yesterday but things don´t look very good.

First picture

This is good; finally, I got some lamp oil. You can also see the content in my trading port. Since I have a lot of apples I put some in the port to barter for better food diversity. Some merchants pay a higher price than this for apples so you can even make a small profit.

Second picture

The last 20 years or so, I thought about playing this game until year 100 or until I reach a population of 1000 inhabitants. 1000 came first but it´s not good, I can´t support 1000 inhabitants this way on this map and it´s too late to make "life-saving changes".  I have simply built too many houses. I stopped the game here yesterday evening, little depressed, that this will not work but I´m also a bit proud of myself, that I dared to take some risks. I usually play too safe. This is certainly not safe!

As I went to bed I hadn´t decided if I would stop the game here or play until the "crash" comes. I have now decided I will go on and play these few more years. There´s been a long time since I killed a lot of Bannis by starvation. As some of you oldies might remember; I used to do that occasionally in the early days of Banished.  :-\

irrelevant

Glad you are going to continue, I do enjoy seeing the results of a good crash. ;)

Nilla

I just played a few more years, we will reach year 100 but how many will survive further than that?  We will see tonight when I will play a little more.
This is no food graph anyone wants in a Banished game.

PS: I also have some ideas about my next game.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Nilla on July 05, 2019, 05:51:08 AM
PS: I also have some ideas about my next game.
Don't forget, this one you are going to record so I can watch you play and learn from you!  :D   Don't you recall that subliminal message I sent to you via our chats? ROFL

Go on. You can do it!!!   8)

Nilla

Now I know how many survived "the big starvation".

First picture
The first hunger sign was shown in august 100 but the harvest had started and it wasn´t that many houses with empty stores, so no one starved to death that year.

Second picture
Next year was not so nice. The first starvation sign was shown in May. It´s much too long until something is harvested and since so many people were looking for food, the output from fields and orchards was very low.

Third picture
About 300 Bannis starved to death that spring and summer. I will spare you the ugly pictures. But next year wasn´t good either. The harvest during the starvation was miserable, so many houses were empty again in summer 102. I think I lost another 50 that year and this harvest isn´t good either. You can see it´s September and at some fields, the harvest hasn´t started.

Fourth picture
But at least the harvest was higher than what people needed. The food store is very small but it looks like everyone has filled up their homes, so no one starved that summer.

Fifth picture
And this year the harvest will be alright, and the population grows again.

It could maybe be possible to demolish 40 houses and make some smaller changes here and there and survive in the long term but no, I´m done with this town.

And @MarkAnthony; NO I will not make any videos, I haven´t even an idea on how to record a game and no ambition to learn. The "cyberspace" is full of bad game videos, there´s no need for another one. But probably I will write a little about it. Besides, my plans may have changed. @Discrepancy has made something new that had caught my interest.

moonbelf

Nilla you sincerely did your best with this town. I've had failures after death spirals that I couldn't stop from happening.

What is it that you're going to try next? Something of discrepancy's?

As for what you say here, I agree about the bad videos and also have no intention of even trying to record or upload. I'd rather enjoy myself playing the game :)
QuoteNO I will not make any videos, I haven´t even an idea on how to record a game and no ambition to learn. The "cyberspace" is full of bad game videos

MarkAnthony

LOL   :D

I somehow thought I heard a "tone" with that "No" and an accompanying "finger-wag" directed at me.  Hehe

Nilla

You can hear what you please in my words @MarkAnthony. That´s the good and the bad things with words. But you can be sure on one thing; it´s never meant to diminish someone.

And yes, @moonbelf, DS just released a new industrial mod in early beta. It sounds like he´s tweaked the happiness and health systems. I can´t resist such things.

moonbelf

QuoteAnd yes, @moonbelf, DS just released a new industrial mod in early beta. It sounds like he´s tweaked the happiness and health systems. I can´t resist such things.

Thanks @Nilla I'll have to check that out. More happiness and health sounds great!

Nilla

I´m "afraid" that it´s not more but less happiness and health in that mod but I am just about to download and arrange my new modlist. We will see.

moonbelf

Quote from: Nilla on July 05, 2019, 12:29:56 PM
I´m "afraid" that it´s not more but less happiness and health in that mod but I am just about to download and arrange my new modlist. We will see.

Yes I just read through Discrepancy's description of his new mod and I see that health and happiness are going to be hard to achieve. I've downloaded it and will try it out soon.

Nilla

I didn´t blog that last game I played. It wasn´t really meant to be a real town. I just wanted to try the new Mexican mod from @kid1293. I played a few years and got some impressions. Since I find it a decent way to act, I told at Kid´s thread what I liked, not liked, and about a possible bug. I also wanted to show a picture of the town. It is kind of extreme and maybe I thought Kid wanted to see such a weird town as well. That was all I wanted to do.

Now, Kid fixed the bug but also changed some production numbers; set the production of the patches down about 30%. Of course, that was a challenge I needed to take. There were also some comments about different things; my building style with only yellow houses. They were supposed to look like some slum. And maybe you´re right @MarkAnthony; it is some kind of slum. When I built the first house, I looked at the colours and choose the one most like the "natural ground", that these poor people could afford. Although I´m not sure it looks like "the blocks". I find it´s more like a large holiday resort with all these corners built like that, just to give as many rooms as possible see-view, so they could charge you a bit more. ;)

The game worked also with 30% less food production. It wasn´t that hard, since I ran many of the patches with only one worker, anyway. Add a second isn´t very complicated. First, I wanted to play 20 years, a nice round number. But it is a nice mod. It´s fun to play with it, so I decided to do one more crazy thing. I rebuilt the nomad hitching post. As you must have understood, I´ve used it frequently in the past, no one can get that large population in such a short time without it. But since it was hard to get enough building materials for houses for every nomad of the last big group (and the young adults from the town), I decided to demolish it.

So I spent a year of preparing; mainly expanding production and import of building materials and make sure that there were not too many adults living at home. A group of 944 nomads arrived. It took more than a year to get houses to all of them and in that time, no no new young couples. So now I´m behind building houses.

I made 2 general big mistakes that increased the lack of houses; I built too few schools and no wells. I wanted this "slum look" of the settlement without any schools in between, so the schools are located in one big mission school centre and a few odd places at the corners. That means that the students need to walk longer to school and graduate later than usual.

I decided to use this old blog; It has the right headline; I do want to fill this small map. But there will be no more nomads! (at least I think so) ;)

First picture
This is the most popular spot on the map.

Second picture
I talked about the cactus fruit in Kid´s thread. The smaller gatherers I´ve tried don´t pick them. The only way I see is to make it manually. I send everyone out every spring to pick fruit. This is how much has grown since last year. Every red spot gives 65 food. It´s still enough to support this large settlement with fruit but as the maps fill more and more, I will need to buy some fruit.

Third picture

From where do all these immigrants come? Are they all Americans who had fled to Mexico because of some environmental disaster?

Fourth picture
Sorry, @MarkAnthony. Your house burned down.  :'( This should be a warning to everyone who plays disasters on and forgets to build/can´t spare stone for enough wells. There were at least 150 homeless and a large number of houses to rebuild instead of building new houses for the youngsters.