News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla- Rolesburn; an inexperienced mistake

Started by Nilla, June 11, 2017, 05:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

If you read the headline you may think; "Now she's gone totally mad! Playing Banished more or less every day since we don't know when, isn't inexperienced! No way!" But actually, in some things I have very little experience.

I find the idea from @brads3 very good; using the debug function to give you some more people to start with, especially if an impatient person like me want to play "real time aging". So I opened the debug menu, something I normally never do. After some looking, I found the button, where you can add more people. I thought 10 more from the start would be fine, so I pressed it 10 times.........I didn't knew, that each press gives 4 people and suddenly I had 48 adults and a few children! Many without tools! :o

I decided to give it a try! If it's possible to manage 50 nomads in the North, this might work as well.

I started this game because there are a few mods, I wanted to test: @Necora´s latest upgrades with the New Flora, NatDiv, the new Canals, Northmen.....

I'll let you know, if it works!

brads3

i don't use debug often. i do mainly for testing new mods and how buildings look or to finetune mod orders. it is handy. do you realize you can add tools,food,clothing,extra supplies??? it would make it fair since you added population.
   when you loaded the new pine mod,did you add the mods and follow NECORA'S order sheet for the floral additions??? though i don't use the floral flax,i am glad to see you test the new gathering abilities of the pine. i am sure there will be good reports to the productions.
   if you unpause the game,when you click to add you will see how much it increases. i think food is 1000,tools and clothing might be 50 a click.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on June 11, 2017, 05:47:59 AMI decided to give it a try!

Yeah, that'll be interesting - I contemplated to do that too, for one of my next games...  :)

Are the peeps you added educated or uneducated? I remember the debug has a switch to make peeps educated - but that's really global, it applies to just about everybody, even newborn kids, iirc...

I don't want that, or more tools, food or anything - all I want are more people to start out with, even if they are uneducated...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

The people are all educated and I didn't need any extra supply. They managed the start. It took a while to get tools for everyone, not to talk about housing. (A few is still missing) But luckily I have @tanypredator´s new flora loaded, so I can collect wild food; the same as it the North. That makes it possible to survive  without debug extras. I don't think it would have been this easy without that possibility.

First picture

One year gone. Still 8 tool less people, but at least everyone has a coat but still 43 homeless.

A question; somehow I have got a lot of thatch. It seems like the foresters collect more thatch than logs. (I guess thy get it as they clear the land to plant new trees) What can it be used for? I can't find anything.

Second picture

Two years gone. Now everyone has a tool, but there's still 15 homeless people.There's even enough tools and clothes in the stores to feel comfortable. I gave @Tom Sawyer the advice to build a small graveyard early in a real time game. Accidental deaths have a long  influence on the happiness and the demand of graves is low. Did I follow that advice myself? Well, not until it was too late: One woman died by giving birth. It would have been the second child born in this settlement.  :'(

First I had the idea, that everyone would have to live in boarding houses. It would work good for a long time in a real time game. There will be no new couples for a long time. But a boarding house for 3 families is more expensive than 3 houses, so I decided to primary build houses. Just this one boarding house. To use later by upgrading  or if I want to take nomads.

Third picture

Here's the rest of my settlement. I I've just finished the trading port. I need to get rid of thatch and other things, I can't use. Although the first merchant who visited was Sirgil the goods merchant and she had nothing I wanted.

brads3

other than for buring,the thatch is needed for vanilla wood houses,pastures,stock barns ,and mines.with my setup i don't find it overpowering.looks like the map started you in a heavy thatch spot.now you see what i ment when i said it changed how things grow.lol there are spots in the map of trees and then open spaces. did you use a more wood mod? it would have been neat to see how much the workers gathered themselves just clearing to build. you were in too much trouble to try that however.do you want some tents for all those homless people?lol are you going to ask questions too or just play like a newbie?

Nilla

Just a small warning to you @Paeng if you want to use the debug, to get more people from the start: The gender and age of the people you get seem to be random. I have 5 single women living alone and one childbirth death, so my 40 extra people were 23 females, 17 males. They are all adults, not only young adults as the "normal starter". Some are in their 40s, so not all women had any children. It might be a good idea to take a look, that the male/female ratio isn't too bad, before you start to play.

@brads3, I must go on asking questions? I can't help it! It's my way!  :-[

I saw the possible use for thatch as building material. That's a good thing. I just want to avoid vanilla buildings, so no big need for it in this game. I haven't found, how to make fuel out of thatch. Is it the CC firebundler or something else, you can use, also if you're not playing with CC? But to trade it away isn't bad either. It's worth 2 and there seem to be a lot of it everywhere. I can't say that it's overpowered. It's at the beginning of the game. There is a lot of grass on this starting spot, that has to be removed, if you want to plant a tree or build something. It's a good thing, that it's collected and can be used (if just to trade away for some seeds). I think it will change, as the game grows.

And no, I don't use any "More XX mod". It would have been handy. Logs is a big problem. But I don't like a game neat and handy, I like it to be troublesome. ;)

This is a bit troublesome, but not only in the way I want it to be. I haven't the latest upgrade of the Pine Forest Mod! There's a long description of all changes (http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1562.msg34713#msg34713) but I can't find it. So unfortunately, I can't check how the new values work.  :(

The picture shows, that it´s not the latest version of the pine mod. The upgraded houses are diagonal. I try to use it and upgrade only houses in some areas, where it doesn´t look so bad. :)

brads3

how long you had the game 2 days?bannies have minds of thier own. whatever you think,they will do the opposite.the debug is not random it does the opposite of what you need. if you try adding 5 females it WILL give you 1 or 2 and the rest males.almost guarantee that.lol

you need a new game then.  http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1560.msg29343#msg29343
from what i see the may 22nd beta is the newest version. any tweaks or fixes after will wait til fall.

Nilla

Quote from: brads3 on June 12, 2017, 07:35:15 AM
how long you had the game 2 days?bannies have minds of thier own. whatever you think,they will do the opposite.the debug is not random it does the opposite of what you need. if you try adding 5 females it WILL give you 1 or 2 and the rest males.almost guarantee that.lol

OK, as usual; you are right!  >:(  ;D I know, but I never give up in believing that they finally will come to their senses.

I will show something funny. Again it´s about load order.

Since there are not much new numbers to test, I decided to push it a bit; let the settlement grow fast. So I loaded the nomad well from @kid1293. That´s why I have a lot of uneducated as I tested the wells. It's no trouble to test the wells because I wanted to build @RedKetchup´s lovely fodder farmer anyway. Hm...... no fodder grew, only a lot of a thatch. I have the mods in the order that @Necora recommend:
Flax Patch
New Pine Flora
New Flora
Maritimes Pine Set
NatDiv
every other mod, (GardenWalls Utility......)

Since it looked like thatch was the trouble, I put GWU above NatDiv and as expected, now the fodder grass grow. Now to the funny part! Look at the pictures. Fodder and flowers grow not only in the circle of the fodder farmer. It grows everywhere. It seems to have replaced the grass from NatDiv. It's a funny sight! :)

brads3

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hide this post before anyone finds out.

brads3

that is funny. NILLA,you tested the new pine set and have production numbers??  the thatch isn't updated. it must be between NECORA'S mods and flora. quite odd that flax would affect this way.

brads3

since you are not using CC,i recommmend turning off the flax patch and try again.i am using the original NAT DIV. i have no experience with the new flora mods

brads3

what does the new grass function as???? cut it and see what does it inventory?

Nilla

It´s fudder and flowers. I swim in fudder.  :D

I can´t think that it has anything to do with flax. But maybe with the New flora/New Pine Flora in combination with Nat Div and GWU.

brads3

that would be a lot of flowers and fodder.how much do the workers gather of the normal gathering foods as they clear land?

Nilla