News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Bodiam Castle

Started by child_of_air, September 07, 2018, 02:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

child_of_air

If anyone is looking for ideas, or would like to take on a project, I'd love to see Bodiam Castle in the game. Ever since Kid did Gothic Fantasy, I've been wanting MORE castles in my game, because what is Medieval life without a Lord and Lady? Can you imagine how wonderful it would look for a medieval style game? The castle could function as a boarding house, and come with a modular bridge you could place on a lake.

Come to think of it, any castle would do, quite honestly. I'm just longing for more! :)

Info about Bodiam, one of the most famous castles in England: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodiam_Castle

More Pictures: https://www.exploring-castles.com/uk/england/bodiam_castle/

kid1293

Hi @child_of_air , you made me interested but I must say it is a big castle!
53x57 meters (173x187 feet) !!!

If you say one game tile is roughly 1.75m (estimated from the length of bannies)
the castle would take 30x33 tiles to build. You really need a lake  ;) :)

The castle is in ruins. I have the ground plans (where I got the dimensions)
but nothing on upper floors. I found one very rough picture that could help.

All this is nothing if it will be a huge building with only one function.
There is no way to dismantle it and have it modular. Walls, living quarters, kitchen,
chapel, smith...   Of course there is but then it is not Bodiam Castle.

So - I could have Bodiam as a starting point and make modules to build a castle.
Outer walls, towers and inner buildings.

Now the hard part. How do I get modules to come to the water?
Do i build from bottom  ??? or even worse - do I flatten each piece of land?
What do I do between modules? It will look like Venice  ;D

This was fun :) Now it is your turn to think :)

RedKetchup

go ahead Kid, i am sure you can make this interessant !! :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

;D I can use your Forest Center code, @RedKetchup
One piece of flattened ground with surrounding walls.
Several options for buildings on tunnel pathbits within walls...

Hmmm.. could be built both on water and on land...

RedKetchup

Quote from: kid1293 on September 08, 2018, 10:40:38 AM
;D I can use your Forest Center code, @RedKetchup
One piece of flattened ground with surrounding walls.
Several options for buildings on tunnel pathbits within walls...

Hmmm.. could be built both on water and on land...

sure do !!!!

child_of_air

Honestly Kid, I'm super flexible about that. Obviously we need to fit buildings into the mechanics of the game, so it could be "inspired" by Bodiam, but not exactly Bodiam itself. That would suit me just fine, and making it modular I think would make it a lot more flexible. So if you can make it modular, please by all means, do so. Your Gothic Fantasy set is great in that way, as each new town that I build with that set never looks the same. And I love that, I think many people prefer modular. Then of course we could have other functional buildings that make the whole castle self-sufficient, as they surely were in real life.

So, if you made it modular perhaps you could make one of the pieces that fits near the water a trader, or a fishery, but it just looks like main part of the building? I don't know, just throwing out ideas. Another option would you could just create pieces for a jetty that would fit into the main part of the castle and extend out into the water, but have the actual building itself on land. Of course that wouldn't be Bodiam, but I think it would still be very beautiful and attractive. So far, nothing like that has ever been done before with a castle.

In any case, I'll let you decide the particulars since I don't mod this game and don't know the mechanics of modding it. Thanks for being interested and possibly taking up the project! Let me know if I can be any help.

kid1293

This can be interesting. I have a ground plan for the castle (picture)
Within the walls will be designed areas to build smith, baker, chapel... I don't know.
The main part I show now will be boarding house.

It is all about finding the right lake, where there are no boats. :)

RedKetchup

child_of_air

Very promising indeed! I can't wait to see more <3

Gatherer

The towers could act as normal houses and wall sections between them and the gates as various production sites.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

BlueFireChelle

Love that water castle! I would happily give my bannies a ruling elite living in a castle :)

child_of_air

Quote from: Gatherer on September 09, 2018, 02:46:22 AM
The towers could act as normal houses and wall sections between them and the gates as various production sites.

Great idea, like the other castle mod. High towers for the ruling class.

kid1293

Sorry to disappoint both of you. Wall and towers IS the main building.

It is done to give me raised ground in the middle where I can put other buildings.
Otherwise I would have only islands and a big mess.

You are welcome to suggest function for main building. Right now it is boarding house
but it is free. The other buildings are only vague thoughts but I think at least some
storage and a smith.

kid1293

Here it is more developed.
I will work on the upper edges tomorrow.

Textures can change. This is just for testing.

Abandoned