News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Red Rock Quarry & Beach Resort - Story 32

Started by Abandoned, September 03, 2018, 07:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 6

Year 12 brought a welcome change to Red Rock, 12 migrants arrived from Riverview, a resort town some distance upriver.  They loved Riverview, it was quite a well developed town with shops and markets, a spa and gazebo too.  Only problem was that it was cold and snowy in Riverview.  There were rooftop rest areas to sit in the sun on lounge chairs and enjoy the view of the river.  Although Mr. Red, the canal inspector who was a frequent visitor, liked his lounge chair in the shade.  Another problem was the water temperature was very cold for swimming.  So this group decided to relocate somewhere warmer.  They asked for permission to stay and build a sand beach for swimming.

Well, weary traveler, let me tell you.  We were all impressed by the beach area they built and we were all invited to use the facility as often as we liked.  The sand was wonderful on tired barefeet and there was a market, tables and chairs, and colorful umbrellas for a little shade.  The small swimming area was roped off so no young children could be swept away by the river's current.  Our hardworking workers just loved it, an hour or two by the beach was a bright spot in their day.  Soon young couples began building colorful beach house nearby.  We had feared many of our young people might consider migrating to a place where they wouldn't have to work quite so hard.   I think our fears were put to rest.

The best was yet to come, in the summer of year 13, the beach-lovers built a fantastic ice cream cart.  We had a surplus of milk and they made a cool refreshing treat in the shade of a nearby tree.  A play area for the children was being constructed and more beach houses appeared.  Red Rock quarry was now a beach resort.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 7

It was back-to-work in year 14.  Our log supply had improved but we were low on firewood and tools.  Our food supply also improved and we now had 2 pigs in a pasture.  Well sometimes we had 2 pigs in the pasture, one of them liked to burrow under the fence.

It took all year to get the small wooden chapel by the cemetery built.  We wondered if the builders were spending too much time at the beach.  They did manage to finish the boarding house and Old Barn Pub by late spring of year 15.  We were a bit disappointed that we did not have all the ingredients to make at least one of the pub meals.  We had onions and we could build Old Smokery to make smoked meat.  We had plenty of venison but not that much firewood.  Both the Old Smokery and the Old Barn Pub would use firewood.  We could start smoking the venison but we still would need wine before we could make a pub meal.

In spring of year 16 we planted strawberries instead of peas.  The tavern, when completed, would make strawberry wine.  The tavern was finished by winter and began making wine, the Old Barn Pub began making pub meals of roast meat, onions, and wine.   A second herbalist was also built that year and in year 17 we made plans to build a greenhouse.  We had a small supply of fertilizer thanks to our pasture of pigs.  Sadly Lorett, the herdsman, died during childbirth.  We just need more glass than we had for the greenhouse.  We were always in need of something.

RedKetchup

oh so the Old Barn Pub is working perfectly ??

they are able to find a way to get the wine from the tavern ?

embx61

Here a little mod with three names to put on the Quarry wall above the door. Ghosted and names through F key.
Can just be loaded in your running game.

Names are Smallville Quarry, Riverview Quarry and Red Rock Quarry.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gSlqhkEHVmgPEYVpJYQZzNW0w8ZsL7sk/view?usp=sharing
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Abandoned

yes @RedKetchup , it took some work but Old Barn Pub produced Pub Meals.  The tavern is on the other side of the stream but the wine did get delivered okay  :)

Thanks so much @embx61 for the quarry signs  :)  Future quarries will belong to Red Rock Quarry Corp.  :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on September 10, 2018, 01:06:07 PM
yes @RedKetchup , it took some work but Old Barn Pub produced Pub Meals.  The tavern is on the other side of the stream but the wine did get delivered okay  :)

good to know because i wasnt sure... i didnt tested it LOL

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 8

A country little house had been built over by the chapel and cemetery where Lorett was laid to rest.  On the other side of town another wood cutter was built.  We were out of iron which we needed for tools and there was little iron ore to be had.  We did not come to Red Rock to harvest trees and mine for iron.  We came to supply stone to the river boatman.  Finally a resource merchant showed up but he did not have iron, iron ore, or tools which we badly needed.

The greenhouse was completed and we decided to grow oats.  Although we had a wide variety of foods and wheat, our health had never been lower.  We built a bath house hoping it would help but by early summer of year 19 our food supply was dropping, we still had no iron and our tool supply was falling, and as always our firewood supply was very low.  Our laborers were exhausted from collected deadwood, wild foods, and what little iron ore they could find.  How long could this go on?

It has been 20 years since 19 of us came here to the Red Desert.  We now had a population of 156, 77 adults, 33 students, and 46 young children.  Our education rate was 47%.  Even though we had a wide variety of foods and grain our overall health was very low.  We were again short of food, herbs, firewood, and tools.  The surface iron ore was gone.  We ordered firewood, iron, iron ore, and tools from Elvertine, the resource merchant, and hoped he would return soon.  We began clearing another field for more wheat and again took to the woods to gather wild foods and deadwood.

But despite all that, weary traveler, we accomplished what we set out to do, we dug a rock quarry which now proudly wears a Red Rock Quarry sign.  It will supply Riverboat Junction and the resource merchants with rock for a long time to come.  And as an added bonus, we have a wonderful beach resort for our hard-working laborers to relax and enjoy themselves.  Go get yourself an ice cream, weary traveler, and enjoy the rest of your day.

The End

brads3

are you finding less food outputs from sending bannies to gather wild foods or from a gathering hut?

Abandoned

@brads3 the gatherer's hut collected a nice amount of wild foods, I had 2 built but I did not have enough workers to keep them or other food production buildings fully staffed.  When crop fields were harvested I had a few extra workers to help collect wild foods and deadwood.  I had a lot of workers trying to keep up with demand for logs and firewood.  I did not have enough workers and less then 50% educated.  I do not know if health effects production but their overall health was lower than I have ever had before.

brads3

thank you that is useful info.i saw you were having troubles.in tests today,my gatherer is low.they aren't collecting bird nests and seem to be leaving other foods too. the RK's before this version had better outputs. i'll run more tests to solve it. weird too i saw the vanilla fisherman get 800 fish in 1 year with 1 worker.

you are right when education gets near 35% or below, food is a struggle to keep up.firewood as well.

Abandoned

This mod there are a lot of production chains and everything needs firewood, always short of log too, then tools.  I collected a lot of deadwood to compensate.

My gatherers did seem to collect everything. There seemed to be more bird nests in late summer and fall, that is when I would sent out laborers to collect wild foods.  :)

My education rate was rising, but from early on I was struggling with logs and firewood and tools so I stopped taking nomads even though I needed workers.  I could not afford to have that rate drop.

Abandoned

@brads3 I went back to map to check out blacksmith and discovered there are other tools I could make without iron or iron ore - wooden, stone, and copper, many options.

So while there I checked gatherers again.  Both are in forested area and now they are not collecting all items.  I believe eggs, and cranberry, and some others spawn from grass and flowers rather than from the trees.  Perhaps it would be best to place gatherers in both areas or at the edge of forest radius rather than in the center to insure all things will be gathered.  :)