News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing the North6

Started by Nilla, December 10, 2017, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turis

The Warriors reach your village and start roaming the area and vandalizing all buildings, screaming, 'Fish... We want fish!' all the time. After a while, they just walk around, still yelling, 'Fish... We want fish' all day and night tirelessly.

brads3

LOL. i have seen the bannies do strange things for no reason.glad in your case it solved itself. i stripped the registry and reloaded a few mods at a time for a week trying to find a quirky glitch. the pine mod workers wanted to help the builder and stopped working thier workplaces and wouldn't collect food.never could force it to happen again or understand why.they are bannies and have minds of their own.glad yours was minor.

Turis

I was hoping that Nilla would write a short story about a possible battle, but, obviously, she doesn't want to play with me so... nevermind.

Nilla

I'm sorry @Turis, I'm no @Abandoned. My talent for making stories is very limited, but wait, there might be something later.........I guess your looters are lost in the deep forests and haven't found the right village yet. ;) The merchants have brought rumours about some southern savages, only eating raw fish, messing around with the people in some remote villages. The inhabitants of Elkville, true viking decedents are more amused than worried, but some do bring their pitch forks, axes and scythes into their houses, instead of leaving them at work. Just in case..........

No looters, so the game runs smooth. I only made 2 screenshots yesterday.

First picture

I've built the big forester. It was probably too early in the game. I would like to sell more wood. It's a good profit, but the trading docks are small and can't store much, so the forester is much unemployed. There are many laborers and in winter they don't have much other things to do, than to pick firewood and the logs needed to build are cleared on building sites and for "landscaping". I'm trying to create a birch forest in the chapel area.

Second picture

Finally enough rooftiles to build a school. This is certainly a village of young folks rebellion. I wanted the three kids; Noellen, Hely and Marceli to attend school, but no, they refused and became laborers just before the school was opened.

Randt was 16 last year, but instead of moving to one of the single girls 18 and 21 years old he moved in with the 30 years old widow Benity and her three children.  ::)

I just realized, that there's no brick/rooftiles needed for the city hall. I could have built it years ago. I have had glass for a long time. But it doesn't matter. It's under construction now.

Nilla

The merchants told more stories about looting hordes from the south. The many single teenage girls have started to ask questions about them. Saying, that if they are young and handsome, they may come and stay. They need husbands; real men and the young boys in this village is no pleasure to see; too few and too meek. They tell the merchants, if they see any foreigners, to tell them about the many beautiful, tall, blond girls in this village. They promise to cook fish every day. They may even serve it raw, if needed. Just as long as they don't have to eat the fish raw themselves. The old folks are a bit torn about this talk. Some try to hold the girls back, not wanting any strangers in the peaceful village. Other people, especially the parents of the girls, say that they are well capable to tame the wildest barbarian and they need to get a husband, the sooner the better.............

First picture

First you can see my birch forest around the chapel and town hall.

The graphs shows the population- and the "not schoolbook" looking food graph. It was obvious, that I had to take some action; two more trading docks. That's the trick, when you don't farm. The trick and the only way to support your population. No field spamming, instead trading port spamming.

I keep one house menu open up in the left corner. It's the oldest boy. As you might have understood, there are a lot of young girls, but I will not build a new house until the first boy is 16.

Second picture

You can see my store. I have bought a lot of rye and wheat and processed it to flour and bread. Even if people have rye, wheat and flour in there houses, more bread was made than bought grain.

You can also see a part of what I sell. There's also furs and wool. I buy wheat, rye, bread, vegetables and tools. But why @Tom Sawyer are turnips more expensive than other vegetables?

Third picture

People start to leave school. Students who live very close to school graduate with 14 (blue). But you don't have to live far away to make it 16.(red) I think, the time in school is as good as it can get.

The third menu open is my first fully educated couple. I plan to make a fully educated village on the other side of the river. So they soon will have to move.

Nilla

Not much to tell about this game. I'm about to "redesign" the settlement; now educated people, red houses, industry. I'm not done yet, so I can't say much, how it works. I think it's possible to support a settlement with trade but my impression just now, is that you will need more trading ports, than in earlier versions. I have the feeling, that there are more merchants, who have nothing I want, than it was before. But I'm not sure. Maybe it's possible to order more in a different way. There's still a lot to check out.

First picture

These industrial buildings are really masterpieces!

Second picture

Here's the goods the Warehouse stores. I know, I have asked this before, but don´t remember; it stores firewood but no ore. Why? I also see, that it stores salt. Is this good? Without any additional mods, salt is only used for food producers. It's rather disturbing to store it the warehouse. It's different, of cause, if you want to use it with EB leatherworks. I might load that mod later to this game.

You can see, that there's a lot of proteins but not so much other food in the stores. I have tried to stop the barter trade. It doesn't work well, at least not yet with only one big trading port.

Oh, @Turis, I almost forgot to tell about the many young girls who hoped for an invasion of handsome southern men. Nothing more is heard from the "wildlings". The girls kept on asking the merchants and they assured, that they spread their offer but probably the wild guys were scared of the thought of marrage with a powerful viking descendant or maybe they had wives, they loved at home, who they missed and turned back to see. Or maybe they just got enough fish from other girls in another village. No one knows. The girls eventually found husbands in their own village.

Turis

Very funny, @Nilla !!! ;D

I love women who looks just like my coffee, blond and sweet. ;)

Abandoned

I was up very early this morning and finally found time to catch up a bit on blog reading.  As always @Nilla a lot of good information.  Some nice storytelling there too.  :)

As you mentioned, I do always play with the 1:1 aging mod (proper time in the North) and accept nomads in the early years.  After building the nomad attractor I watch for first arrivals.  If arrival time is delayed I build one or more bridges to make sure they reach town from the edge of the map.  Most often a short bridge across a stream is all that is needed on a small map.

Two important factors I consider with 1:1 aging and nomads are 1st - I build a small school as soon as possible to help maintain % of educated workers and 2nd - is to build some type of hospital to have ready to open should disease strike. I choose a location that is easily reached for a quick cure.

I will as always look forward to my next trip North.  :)

Nilla

Well, @Hawk, these girls might be blond but I wouldn't call them sweet. They are tough and strong viking descendants. One day giving birth to a child, next day doing their hard work as blacksmiths , miners or farmers as usual, without any cut in the production. Maybe the wild guys from the south heard of it and didn't dare to show up.

@Abandoned, in the new North, early education isn't that important anymore. Basic professions like farmers, gatherers, hunters, woodchopper normally produce the same; educated or uneducated. If you play the North "pure" you can't even build a school until you have enough bricks and glass. In my first game, I wanted to play "old times" for a long time so it wasn't an option. I though about the mini school from Kid for a while in my second game, where I want to play more "modern times" with professions where education matters. But I decided to wait. Primary to test the North in all its consequences. And it hasn't been a problem at all.

I haven't played very much, not much has happened. The population grows slowly but fast enough without new nomads. The educational rate increases. I try to find a strategy for the trade. It's not easy and obvious what to do. I still have the impression, that many merchants bring things I don't need. I have started to order a little bit more vegetables and bread. We'll see, how it turns out. Is it a bug or deliberate, that bread has the value of 3 and turnips 4?

I also would like to know your thoughts about clothes production and the values/profit of producing clothing, @Tom Sawyer . There are some things, I don't understand, unless there are some bugs. You use to have some thoughts about your numbers. I don't have to agree on these thoughts (in fact it would be boring, if I always did) but I would like to understand them. I've looked at your viki and some things doesn't seem to be the way it stands there. I have no production numbers of annual production, yet, but the profit of one woolcoat and one reindeer parka is 16 each. The better parka is cheaper, so I guess these are the coats for the people to wear. The profit of one warm coat is 44. That's a lot. It needs a lot of material, so the annual production might be low. I don't know, yet.  But exporting winter coats seems very profitable. But what about fur coats? It's a loss of 20 to produce one.

I'll show you two pictures from my village. You can see, that I still have a lot of proteins in my stores. I will try to get rid of some. I haven't made much barter trade so far. Only sold, if I got the higher price. But I will now, at least for some time. The storage are too full of meat.

Hawk

Quote from: Nilla on January 24, 2018, 08:08:32 AM
Well, @Hawk, these girls might be blond but I wouldn't call them sweet. They are tough and strong viking descendants. One day giving birth to a child, next day doing their hard work as blacksmiths , miners or farmers as usual, without any cut in the production. Maybe the wild guys from the south heard of it and didn't dare to show up.

@Nilla - I think you meant @Turis;)
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Turis

@Nilla They're still sweet as honey to me. I just ignore the bees' stings.

Hawk

Quote from: Turis on January 24, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

LOL! Reminds me of a show I saw once about badgers. This one badger found a bee hive. It wanted the honey and went after it. No matter how many times the bees stung it, that badger just didn't give up until it had the comb it wanted.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Turis

Quote from: Hawk on January 24, 2018, 09:19:12 AM
Quote from: Turis on January 24, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

LOL! Reminds me of a show I saw once about badgers. This one badger found a bee hive. It wanted the honey and went after it. No matter how many times the bees stung it, that badger just didn't give up until it had the comb it wanted.
Yes, the essence which attracts men to women, and, for me, is their blond hair and blue eyes. :)

Tom Sawyer

Something seems to be wrong with the coats. I want to go through recipes and trade values. With the turnips I had no special idea. Actually my vegetables cost 2 - 3. My food prices follow a rule related to perishableness. The more perishable the higher the trading range (profit) for merchants..

1 - 2 (100% profit) for very perishable food like milk and fresh meat
3 - 5 (66%) for perishable fruits with higher price
2 - 3 (50%) for medium perishable food like veges and cured food
3 - 4 (33%) for less or non perishable food like grain

Hawk

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 24, 2018, 03:09:15 PM
Something seems to be wrong with the coats. I want to go through recipes and trade values

This probably isn't what you're talking about but it seems that there might be 2 different types of wool. One for wool coats and one for Nordic wool coats.
It seems that the tailor will sometimes make Nordic wool coats with sheeps wool and sometimes it won't.
How many wools does it take to make one Nordic wool coat. I had 9 wools in the tailor shop and the tailor kept saying no material available.

As with my past comments, I'm probably missing something.  LOL!
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]