News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Starting crop

Started by Betin, May 16, 2015, 12:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betin

Well, hello everybody...! May I ask the community of modders if there is some way to make mushrooms, berries, roots and onions a starting crop even in hard mode, because the citizens are able to pick them at the very beginning of the game. Sorry for my english, I'm learning

RedKetchup

Quote from: Betin on May 16, 2015, 12:13:44 PM
Well, hello everybody...! May I ask the community of modders if there is some way to make mushrooms, berries, roots and onions a starting crop even in hard mode, because the citizens are able to pick them at the very beginning of the game. Sorry for my english, I'm learning

it would be a bit complicated.

mushroom hate sunlight and grow in certain humid place like in a cave or in the woods where is no sunlight.
roots at limit, maybe. it grows in forest, they need certain trees/plants. i know potatoes, turnips, carrots are kinda same thing as a root, it has a name for that.
berries and onions are commonly farmed in crops or fields now.

i guess maybe it can be possible to put in a crop, but the crop system ask to have the seeds, and wild gatherers food dont use seeds, so it would need to be different items called same name, maybe.
about the 'available in hard mode' it wouldnt be possible, because the only change you get from easy to hard mode is effectively that, the fact you start with no crop seeds. and adding this would also mean the hard mode doesnt exist anymore and you would get a super super easy mode with 4 crops available in the start instead of 1 or 2.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Betin

And some kind of greenhouse maybe? I know mushrooms can be grown that way... Anyway, can't be made a seed for an onion or berry crop and made available via traders

RedKetchup

yes and no, it would need to be 2 different items, because the code to make it grow in crop, and the code to make it grow in forest are totally different and cant be mixed and would even mess up one or the other. you would need 2 different onions files, and 2 different berries files. @kralyerg  touched alot about crops, (he made around +50 new crops) he would be able to tell you more about it and what he can do

maybe even @Darkbibou  can maybe talk about it, he did like +20 new spawning wild food. (which is the opposite engineering ^^)

MightyCucumber

An assortment of berries is already available in Colonial Charter (Blackberries, Blueberries, Raspberries). There's also a mod that allows herbs to grow already.

Roots seems plausible, but the term "roots" is a bit too vague. Like Red said, there's a ton of roots already if you look at it. :)

As for mushrooms as a crop, it would be a little farfetched, but anything is possible, right? Maybe someone would be willing to do that as a side mod of some sorts. Also like Red said, Kralyerg and Darkcaribou would be two modders with more than enough knowledge and willingness to make it happen.

(Oh, and I think that Onions are already planned for the next version of Colonial Charter ;))

kralyerg

RedKetchup has it right.   There's basically 3 types of things we're talking about.

1) Wild Growing resource.  Things like the Root that grow in the wild.
2) Seed resource.  Things like Carrot that you can buy a seed and grow in the crop field.
3) Raw Material resource.  The actual harvested thing that you store in the barn.

1 and 2 are mostly the same, just the Wild Growing file doesn't generate a seed for the trader.  It's pretty easy to take number 1 and turn it into number 2.  Just a little bit of added code and a few new pictures.

Both 1 and 2 generate number 3.  In CC we have a Blueberry crop.  It's the same harvested resource as the Wild Berries.  So it's very possible to turn any wild growing thing into a seeded thing, it just might not balance right, right away.  If you make the crop field yield the same amount as the rest of the crops, it might throw the wild resources out of balance, since they both generate the same resource (number 3).

Of course you could always make a brand new number 3, and have wild roots only give you a few, and seeded roots give you a bunch, but then you'd have a second resource in your barn with a new name.

P.S.
I'm not sure where the "onion crop in CC" rumor came from.  Just repeating things doesn't make it happen. :)

RedKetchup

@kralyerg  is the MASTER of crops :)

personally i never made one, not a single one ^^

MightyCucumber

Quote from: kralyerg on May 16, 2015, 05:47:14 PMP.S.
I'm not sure where the "onion crop in CC" rumor came from.  Just repeating things doesn't make it happen. :)

Could have sworn I had heard (well, read) someone commenting about it. Well, we can dare to dream. ::)

Falcon07

@RedKetchup Thanks for all the post and mods, great work.
Also,
@kralyerg I was going to request raspberries and strawberries as a crop, he said you made a ton of crops, where can I download them?
I searched but didn't see 'crop'
Thanks guys.

kralyerg

The crops that he talked about are part of the Colonial Charter mod, and aren't generally available separately.

But I had a few minutes, so I extracted the files and here's 2 little mods.

Strawberry.pkm

Raspberry.pkm

Gatherer

Sometime ago I have downloaded 2 small mods that allow planting of mushrooms and onions on a field. But they are both overpowered in production numbers for my taste so I don't use them.

I think I got them at CC forum somewhere.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.