News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Town Row Houses 1.20

Started by kid1293, February 21, 2016, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elemental

The roof is just a little bit too bright, perhaps. Overall, it looks very good.  :)

TheOtherMicheal

Quote from: elemental on November 09, 2016, 04:10:07 PM
The roof is just a little bit too bright, perhaps. Overall, it looks very good.  :)
I agree.
With the very light colour of the roof and the white walls, the whole building looks too "bright".
I think a darker shade of grey for the roof would look better.

elemental

I did a quick photoshop job on it, just to see what it might look like.

Top one is original. 2 and 3 I've darkened a bit by changing their exposure (only on the roof bits, not the rest of the pic). Bottom one has darker exposure and also darker gamma. I haven't touched colour balance at all.

I don't mind the original and I quite like 2 and 3, but I also like the bottom one a lot more than I thought I would.

What does everyone else think?

Tom Sawyer

The darkest is my favorite. And I would say it is the right color for this material. The size of the tiles is perfect. Only, the material itself is actually better for a stone house. It does not really fit to timbered houses. But this might be too strict and it is just a variant...

The Pilgrim

elemental

I quite like 2 and 4 but I don't dislike 1 or 3, either. To me 4 looks very similar to some of the textures we've seen on CC buildings, not that that's a bad thing.

TheOtherMicheal

I think 3 is okay but 4 is my choice - a dark grey or a weathered red or weathered green colour are my preferred colours.
Numbers 1 and 2 make the whole building look too "bright".

I kind of agree with Tom Sawyer, yes the slate roof would look good on a stone building and although it's commonly found on stone or brick houses the slate roof on plaster walls reminds me of some Tudor style houses I've seen so it's not an unusual combination.

It's also often seen on houses that are a mix of plaster wall and stone/brick wall so I think we have the potential for some more F-key variants (assuming that the modders don't mind doing all that extra work - yes I'm selfish, I'd love to see more buildings in the game!) This 500-year old house in Stratford-upon-Avon is a good example of the combination of wall materials.

Image found on the following webpage: -  https://walktenthousandmiles.net/2011/08/

grammycat

4 is also my favorite with 3 coming in number 2.

kid1293

Now that I see the four roofs compared I agree that number 4
is absolutely the best for this house. It is somehow the most balanced.

I have a lot to do. These were just test houses. Now I have to copy
all rowhouses and change textures. But I'm getting there. :)

grammycat

Will we be able to use both the old and new mod together or will the name be the same?

kid1293

The same houses (plus new) and the same name of the pkm-file.
It's an update, not a new mod.

grammycat

Thank you for such a quick answer.

kid1293

Help Wanted!!!

edit: Got help! link removed, check in download

The Pilgrim

I got you.  I have a break coming up in about an hour and a half and I'll try it then and get back to you.

Discrepancy

responding to help wanted,
I have made a bit of time to play a few years with just the Rowhouse 1.2 beta & debug active to give the town some stone rather than quarry or travel too far ;)

- the Iron build cost has been removed from all the houses, except the tiny row houses, intentional?

- the White Swan Inn has a larger roof than the rowhouses, so no longer sits nicely in a row.

- could you make the 2 tiles either side of the Chapel road tiles? that way we can add road-build-able decorations.
Also the 4 tiles infront of the Townhalls?

Overall I like the new texture :) and the updated old textures even more - they are still my favorite. Great work!