News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnokthemage

While we are at it... is it possible to change tree and bush models? The game is already nice, but i think you could make it even nicer with some modding magic.

liberty152

do you have this separated at all? this doesn't load for me. yes the game is updated.

Paegin

Do you have an approximate time for 7?

Denis de la Rive

I have been sick for 30 years, so this is not something new, but thank you for your concern.

I look at your mod, as far as I could without playing, and I can see some very interesting ideas. I could not see it all without the debug tool. I understand why you have made this choice, (removing that tool), it is not something you should change. I also had the feeling you have a plan and are careful in the way you structure the mod. Little things like not needing resources to build can make a big difference.

I agree with what you wrote in your read me file.

When it comes to vikings, I can see this as a natural evolution for you mod. It is also a very well documented culture, with many preserved or reconstructed sites. Have you see the TV series "Viking", it is very accurate and there are some documentaries made by the same producers that show some interesting buildings. As for images you can also look at the anglo-saxon buildings, they are very similar. I am thinking of the earlier ones from 500 to 900, and more those of the villages. I know there are also some rebuilt sites in England that can be helpful. You can also look to add some stone structures like churches, and halls, that could be difficult to build, but are achievements for a player.

I think you should not focus too much on a time period, it will confuse you and may impose limits that could keep you from adding things your imagination creates. If you exclude guns, many people in remote places like Alaska live exactly like those in Banished. Again except for imported modern objects, people in Mongolia live like they did 1000 years ago, but with less raiding. We often forget that many cultures do not change unless they are forced to to survive.  :)

I will look at your road map later today.

darnokthemage

The tv series "Vikings" is actually not that accurate, it's fiction with some historical flavor. It may be a good show, but it's not trustworthy when it comes to history. I feel like the mod should focus on the smaller villages and hamlets, especially as the population of Scandinavia is very low. I'm more interested in the early modern stuff, but that is because i feel like the game fits more for that style.

Tom Sawyer

@liberty152 Do you have other mods enabled above the North? Especially mods for map sizes or starting conditions. I remember freezing loading screens only with extra large maps or other maps where the game can't create a starting area or fails with adding animal populations and resources. So I guess it's due to a mod conflict and can be solved by cleaning up the list. I made most buildings separate but they are not up to date anymore and adding the North in parts is not really possible.

New tree models is a good point but also a difficult one. The main issue of trees is performance and vanilla pines are the fastest trees I know. So replacing them needs a solution without decreasing game speed. Also because many Banished players don't have a gaming machine. It's on my list but not with priority. An option for now is to try the Maritime Trees by Necora as add-on. I have tested them and they look very nice but slow down the game, at least on my computer.

The TV show I know of course. I like it and look forward to next season! As inspiration for models it's not very helpful. There are better sources. The only building from the series I want to build is Ragnars homestead. :)

A time for version 7 I can't say yet. Will depend on the progress I can make with model making.

liberty152

No it's at the top. Just doesn't work.

Discrepancy

Do you have any other mods loaded? Just because The North is at the top of list it does not mean another mod can not still cause an issue.

It helps if we know what other mods you are using.

Denis de la Rive

I know the history of the TV show is not accurate, but the buildings, costumes, and culture are very well done. I think it was clear that I was thinking of the visuals here not the story.

What style of player you are should not necessarily dictate how a mod is created, some players like to build cities, others tiny, there is a place for everything in a mod. The best approach is to give options and see what the players can create. Many times they will surprise the mod makers.

I think that when you create a mod you must be aware of the limits of the users, not adding certain things that can only be used by a few with powerful computers, is often the best. If you add something that is only for a visual effect that few will enjoy, but it does not change how the game works, is that a good use of your time? I would like it more, if I got two new buildings, or some real changes to how the game is played, than some more tree, or bush models. You also have to consider how many time an object you create will appear, a larger tree file will impact your graphics card more than a well crafted model of a cathedral you can only have one of.

Where I live we have an expression in construction that translates to "it takes what it takes", good work always takes time. I have often written about players, no I am not targeting Paegin, who want deadlines, or think all a mod makers time should go to making them happy. Waiting is often part of the fun of getting a new version. If you read what is discussed by players here, you can see that taking your time makes for much better mods. I have seen some mods that have needed 3 or 4 patches to correct mistakes because they were published too early.

darnokthemage

Is fishing boats possible to make? Maybe part of a big fishery building with a small fishers hut and a boat, would certainly make the ports of the game more busy.

Tom Sawyer

A fishing hut I want to make. The vanilla one just looked too different in this mod. Boats of course will always be decorative elements.

Tom Sawyer

Banished Battle Mode: Announcement for North 7! New Warrior profession and more .. including special effects. All details on banishedventures.com/battle-mode.

Gatherer

Was that a real Bannie or a deer in disguise?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

RedKetchup

haha did just turn a special herd into with citizen mesh ? and turned a kind of hunter into warrior ?

haha you are so clever and sneaky @Tom Sawyer  :)

;D ;D ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla