Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Desperate need of vegan modders ..

Started by assobanana76, September 22, 2014, 01:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

we need crops of cotton and linen!!
are the first that come to mind ...
but also iron-rich vegetables such as spinach ..
or crops of sesame for calcium ..
please...
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

Cotton and flax would be excellent additions to the game. They would change the clothes-making paradigm significantly, though. No longer could "coats" stand in for all clothing and the tailor would have to learn new skills. We would also need some sort of intermediary profession to get the cotton and flax from raw material to a form usable by the tailor.

According to Dieticians of Canada, Calcium is good in Collards, Kale, Spinach and Turnip Greens, any of which could be grown in the Banished climate. Since Spinach is also good for iron, that would be an excellent addition. Kale does both and would also be nice. Among those crops already in the game, potatoes and pumpkin seeds are good for iron and dried beans are good for both.

salamander

I can see a 'need' for cotton and flax as textiles, but I agree with @rkelly17, including them would change the game quite a bit if they were modded in so as to allow tailors to use them for producing clothes.  Adding them would require some real thought to keep the game balanced.

As far as the iron and calcium, there's no evidence (that I'm aware of) that the game considers individual minerals contained in 'real-life' crops as far as health benefits.  So ... although I sort of understand wanting the cotton and flax, I don't get the need for the specific crops (spinach and sesame) you (@assobanana76) mentioned.

My take on new crops is this: as far as the way the game classifies foods dietarily, until I see beans counted as a source of protein similar to meat, I'm not likely to start using mods that introduce new crops that have no benefit in-game.

Pangaea

I keep hoping for a bread production line to get into the game at some point. We already have wheat, so can turn that into flour with a mill of some sort. Then we need a baker profession, and of course a bakery.

Every new mod risks unsettling the balance, though, which works fairly well in the default game, firewood-trading aside. Get in some type of food that is more efficient than others, and people will haul ass towards those requirements and reap the benefits as soon as possible. It's just the way it goes.

salamander

@Pangaea -- I agree.  But ... bread requires a production chain of farmers (for wheat), millers, and bakers to eventually produce bread, which seems more in line with the original game concept.  In this case, there is a definite benefit to purchasing wheat seeds (if you don't start with them), so you can farm wheat, so you can produce flour, so you can bake bread, so you can feed townsfolk.

@assobanana76's request for specific crops that provide certain nutrients in 'real-life' doesn't really fit with the way the 'game-world' currently works.  Given that modding in a new crop apparently requires that a new graphic model be created for the crop, along with the other modifications needed to have this crop be a part of the game, it seems unlikely that anyone would want to go to the effort needed to add these anytime soon for no in-game benefit.  I may be wrong, and if I am, that's great -- one of the nice things about a mod kit is that folks can do what they want without worrying what curmudgeons like me think.  :)

And ... although I don't really see the need for new crops that are not part of a longer production chain, I do see that cotton and/or flax could be useful alternatives to leather/wool for textiles, especially for gamers that want to stick to a vegan approach.

slink

Raw skins get turned into leather at the stockyard before being turned into coats at the tailor.  Raw wool gets cleaned, carded, and woven or knitted before the tailor makes coats of it.  I've done both of these processes in real-life and it's no easy matter.  I see no problem with raw plant fibers undergoing the same metamorphosis without the addition of a new profession. 

Edit next day: I forgot spinning, but that happens with wool too.

irrelevant

Quote from: slink on September 22, 2014, 07:42:54 PM
Raw skins get turned into leather at the stockyard before being turned into coats at the tailor.  Raw wool gets cleaned, carded, and woven or knitted before the tailor makes coats of it.  I've done both of these processes in real-life and it's no easy matter.  I see no problem with raw plant fibers undergoing the same metamorphosis without the addition of a new profession. 
Seems totally reasonable to me. Plus, let's not get carried away with adding new producers, at some point it will become counterproductive.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

assobanana76

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 22, 2014, 10:02:29 PM
there is an update for you guys, you ll love it !

http://banishedmods.com/showthread.php?tid=1429
yeah!!!!!!!!!!

OK. since the site does not allow multiple units from memory ...
Cotton and linen are really basic dress for the people of my city vegan.
I think it is also logical in the game to change the way of dressing ... also because I do not see how a farmer can dig the earth on August 15 with wool coats or skins !!!
as regards the increase of crops see it as A rise of the difficulties and an embellishment of the game.
I admit that would be perfect crop useful to vegan but any crops that introduces new colors would be welcome!
I would introduce at least another eight crops and eight orchards.
and especially would insert the rotation of the fields!
and it would be well accepted in the profession also intermediate between the crops and the tailor!
but unfortunately I do not understand a lot of mod ..

looking for windmills and bakers ?? http://www.banishedmods.com/showthread.php?tid=106
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Pangaea

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 23, 2014, 12:03:06 AM
I admit that would be perfect crop useful to vegan but any crops that introduces new colors would be welcome!

Some more flashy colours would be nice, but mostly I think it's fine as it's pretty realistic the way it is. My main beef is that stone houses look like something from a degraded Soviet town or something like that. Depressive as hell. They would look better with lighter coloured stone walls for instance.

But the reason I quoted this post was the last line. Personally, I am really glad Luke Skyw.. the developer dropped the need to rotate crops. With a few crop fields it wouldn't be a big hassle, but when you have 20, 50 or hundreds? It would be a micromanagement nightmare to keep on top of.

Getting it back into the game may also be impossible through modding, as I suspect a feature like that would be done the "hardcoded" way. There are some files about disease though, so perhaps it could be snuck back that way, I don't know.

assobanana76

Quote from: Pangaea on September 23, 2014, 04:25:13 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on September 23, 2014, 12:03:06 AM

Some more flashy colours would be nice, but mostly I think it's fine as it's pretty realistic the way it is. My main beef is that stone houses look like something from a degraded Soviet town or something like that. Depressive as hell. They would look better with lighter coloured stone walls for instance.

But the reason I quoted this post was the last line. Personally, I am really glad Luke Skyw.. the developer dropped the need to rotate crops. With a few crop fields it wouldn't be a big hassle, but when you have 20, 50 or hundreds? It would be a micromanagement nightmare to keep on top of.

Getting it back into the game may also be impossible through modding, as I suspect a feature like that would be done the "hardcoded" way. There are some files about disease though, so perhaps it could be snuck back that way, I don't know.
I think the thing does not seem that complicated if you set up a self-rotation.
click on the crop, and select the order in which they rotate crops present and the game automatically, every season, changing culture.
as simple as water!
in fact I do not understand why Luke did not make this choice

Pangaea

If I remember correct, he actually mentioned this very point in one of his blogs during development, and after trying out different variations, came to the conclusion that if he was just coming up with workaround to handle the crop rotation, that didn't really add much to the game, he may as well just throw out the crop rotation itself. After all, if there is a mechanism to change crops every season, the user won't have to micromanage it, but the user also isn't going to see bad results due to crop rotation, so the effect is the same as if it wasn't in the game at all. So he threw it out. I honestly think it was the best solution, but I can understand that some want it back for realism purposes.

assobanana76

Quote from: Pangaea on September 23, 2014, 05:06:30 AM
If I remember correct, he actually mentioned this very point in one of his blogs during development, and after trying out different variations, came to the conclusion that if he was just coming up with workaround to handle the crop rotation, that didn't really add much to the game, he may as well just throw out the crop rotation itself. After all, if there is a mechanism to change crops every season, the user won't have to micromanage it, but the user also isn't going to see bad results due to crop rotation, so the effect is the same as if it wasn't in the game at all. So he threw it out. I honestly think it was the best solution, but I can understand that some want it back for realism purposes.
and the productivity of the soil, instead it seems to me that there is?
obliges players to a manual rotation that if you play on large maps does come from headache

rkelly17

. . . he may as well just throw out the crop rotation itself.

He did throw out the crop rotation. There is no need to rotate crops.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 23, 2014, 10:06:05 AM
. . . he may as well just throw out the crop rotation itself.
He did throw out the crop rotation. There is no need to rotate crops.
For which I am thankful indeed; rotating crops on 300+ farms....!