News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Springfield - Story 23

Started by Abandoned, March 20, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 26

At the start of year 26 we were still low on stone and iron, and had used up all the hemp.  We were low on wheat and flour.   When the food trader came we traded for flour and apples.  We decided we would clear more land for crop fields, after all our town's name was Springfield, and we would buy seeds to grow our own grain.  We had plenty of laborers who would willingly become farmers but by the time the fields were cleared it would be too late to plant crops this year.

In autumn we traded for flax and hemp, our weaver was again making linen clothes and the weaving guild was making canvas coats.  We must remember to collect our wild flax more often.  We wondered if we should use some of our trade goods to obtain coal to make better tools.  Coal would cost 6 trade goods, steel tools 10.

We assigned 2 farmers to each of the 2 new fields.  They would plant corn and cabbage if we did not trade for other seeds by planting time.  We decided to clear a 3rd field.  Another townhouse was being built on that side of the river.

kid1293

Springfield sounds like an easy ride but you have proved it is not that easy.
I wish your bannies the best! :)

Abandoned

Thanks, Kid.  :)  I am finding it a little more of a challenge than the small maps with the tweak type mods I usually use.

Discrepancy

I have been enjoying the story :) well done.

On the previous page you mentioned the hemp wasn't being made into Canvas? there should be the option for that at the top of list in weaving guild, if not, something isn't right.

Though there is the option to make clothing directly from hemp in the weaving guild, it cannot make it from the canvas unlike the village tailor.

It isn't working correctly in the current released version as I mixed up the building production numbers, but the tailor should be faster than the weaver, and the weavers also go through tools quicker.

Abandoned

@Discrepancy, I am glad you are enjoying the story.  :)  I am enjoying using these mods.  I really can't say which part of town I like the best, the main part, the Celtic village, or the colorful townhouses.  :)

I must have missed that the village tailor can make canvas coats from canvas.  I had that tailor making warm coats.  I did have the guild making canvas from hemp and made quite a bit before I discovered the guild doesn't use the canvas for coats. So I used the canvas for tents  :) and traded for more hemp.   Thanks for info on speed and tools.  :)

This harsh cold climate is quite a challenge.  Springfield is always waiting for spring just like we are here in north USA  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 27

At the start of year 27 two of the new fields were planted, 1 with cabbage and 1 with corn.  The windmill had no wheat so began milling flour from what was left of last years corn crop.

In spring 26 nomads arrived at the mini town hall.  We were relieved when they said they were just passing through on their way south.  We had 214 citizens and our education rate was 66%, we did not want that to change.  Shortly after they left, however, the Celts asked if 13 of their kinsfolk who arrived at the Lugh's Stone could stay.  We could not refuse.  We were pleased they had asked but it wasn't really necessary.  We were all family now, there had been many marriages between our people and theirs.  The newcomers were welcomed and several stone hovels were soon built for whoever wanted them. 

It wasn't long after that when Jolee the Planter arrived.  We traded for wheat and Brussels sprout seeds.  When Hilber the food merchant came to port we traded for wheat and flour to tide us over until the new crops were planted next spring.  The new corn and cabbage plantings did very well.  So well we planned to plant them again next year.  We began clearing a large 22x15 field for the wheat.  We had 45 laborers now so could easily afford 3 or 4 farmers to work the wheat field.  We hoped for a chestnut harvest from the new orchard next year and considered clearing land for an apple orchard.  When the traders returned we traded for more apples, flour, and hemp.

We were not happy when we were again short of iron and the laborers left the crops sitting on the fields while they went off to collect the iron.  By late winter we were also short of firewood and the crops still had not been brought in from the fields.  We now considered a coal mine, not for making better tools but for fuel, or maybe an iron mine.  At the end of year 27 the crops were not stored and the new wheat field was not cleared.

Abandoned

Chapter 28

Year 28 was off to a very bad start.  By spring the corn and cabbage harvests had still not been brought in off the fields and the new crops were not being planted.  The Brussels Sprouts were up and growing before the cabbage got planted.  The corn did not get planted and the new wheat field still was not cleared by late spring.  Our food surplus had dropped quite a bit.

The laborers were sent out to gather whatever wild foods they could find.  It was then that the blacksmiths informed us that they were again low on iron.  Our surplus of stone had also dropped.

When Hilber, the food merchant, arrived in early summer, we traded for wheat, potatoes, and apples.  We could have traded for more but wild foods were still being gathered and our harvests would soon be started.  It was shortly after Hilber left that we discovered the our original corn and cabbage fields had not even been planted that spring.  How could it be that with over 40 laborers they could not gather resources and crops in time for the farmers to return to their fields in spring.  What the heck were they doing.  They had another guess coming if they thought they would be getting a tavern anytime soon.

Something had to be done about the crop situation.  Farmers were instructed to pick up their own crops immediately and take them to storage.  We would add more farmers to the fields if need be.  The new wheat field would have 4 farmers when it was time to plant next spring.  We did have some good harvests, the Brussels sprouts did very well and even though the cabbage was planted late, it to did well and even better than the previous year. 

When the leaves started changing colors we check our new chestnut orchard, we would have our first harvest this year.  We were already expecting our first frost so we started the harvest early.  The orchard was only 73% harvestable but that was better than losing the whole crop.  And next year we would also have an apple orchard.  We traded for apple seeds and began clearing a large 20x15 area next to the chestnut orchard.   The wheat field had finally been cleared and was ready to plant next spring.

By late winter of year 28 we had 2 unemployed workers.  The 2nd driftwood collector had collected all the logs and firewood they could.  Did we want to build another collector workplace?  Would we not be better off with another forester and wood cutter?  Did we want to expand our lake fishing?  How could we again be short of iron?

Nilla

You know, that no new crops will be planted until the field is completely empty. It may happen also when farmers carry the harvest into the stores themselves, that one pot is left on a field. If I see such a pot, I always use the priority tool. I don't know, if you used it, when the crop was left on the field.

You always seem short of iron. Maybe you have uneducated blacksmiths? They do "destroy" a lot of iron compared to educated. If it's difficult to always have educated blacksmiths, maybe it's a good idea to buy tools.

It will be interesting to see how you decide to replace the driftwood collectors. I think there is no "right" answer to what's the best thing to do. If you want efficient workers, I think forester and chopper are better, if you have enough worker and want everything close, driftwood collectors might be the best decision.

Abandoned

@Nilla no, I did not think to use the priority tool, I do use it sometimes when I want a building constructed before another one.  I was surprised when I saw laborers ignoring the harvested crops.  They were being harvested before I marked the iron to be collected.  The iron is far from town and I tried to time collection of it after harvest and before planting.  This is the first time I have had crops left on the field.

I have not checked blacksmiths if educated, I have 2, education rate is over 60% and blacksmiths are in old areas of town and farthest from available iron. We have had no tool shortages.  Some buildings and houses also require iron to build.  New construction of houses and need for firewood is on the other side of the river, far from lake and collectors.  I think forester and woodcutter over there will prove to be best choice.  We shall see.  :)

Nilla

I have no experience in using the "laborers pick up crop" tool. I have never really used it, but maybe these pots were set down in priority, so the laborers "preferred" to clear iron and all other "laborers work" first. There are some work, that are considered more important than others. The different tasks aren't always executed in the same order, as you assigned them. I'm sure of that, but I have never really understood exactly how this work. I try not to assign too many different jobs at the same time, and I also use the priority tool quite often.

Abandoned

@Nilla I have used the pick-up tool before with no problem.  I have never had as many laborers as I do now so was surprised when crops were not picked up promptly.  Maybe I am sending laborers too far, I am not used to medium sized map. Closer stock piles would shorten gathering time.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on April 21, 2018, 05:04:52 AM
@Nilla I have used the pick-up tool before with no problem.  I have never had as many laborers as I do now so was surprised when crops were not picked up promptly.  Maybe I am sending laborers too far, I am not used to medium sized map. Closer stock piles would shorten gathering time.

it is super good but you cannot set big zones to clear because when priority will kick in badly for those.... the baskets in crop field can stay there longtime, specially at 10x, the winters can flies.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

@RedKetchup oh my gosh, I usually play at speed 1x but this map 2x  ;D and that is why I missed starting early harvests so many times (but don't tell Nilla that)  ;D  Maybe I set to many small zones  to be cleared and they did those before crops.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on April 21, 2018, 08:30:46 AM
@RedKetchup oh my gosh, I usually play at speed 1x but this map 2x  ;D and that is why I missed starting early harvests so many times (but don't tell Nilla that)  ;D  Maybe I set to many small zones  to be cleared and they did those before crops.

sometimes, when you asked a clearing job done and time has passed since and still not completed because you asked 100 more jobs to do and you have prioritized those... at some point no matter you will ask to do something new(like crop buckets) you will never be prioritize it over a job asked like 24 yeahs ago ^^

some very ancient job cant be overcome by the priority tool.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Good to know, thanks @RedKetchup

Chapter 29

In early spring of year 29 we watched and waited for the farmers to start planting.  One by one they returned to their fields in the pouring rain.  Then and only then did we send the laborers out to collect iron.  We again considered mining.  We had more than enough laborers who would rather work inside a mine than outside in the rain or snow and cold harsh temperatures.  Before that decision was made we became aware that there was no hemp for making canvas coats.  Should we wait for the trader to bring hemp or should we buy hemp seeds and plant our own?

The apple orchard had been cleared and 1 farmer began planting.  We would add more.  A worker was added to both fish driers and 1 was added to the jetty mollusc farm and another to the butchery.  Another fishing spot and workers house was added to the jetty.

We traded for hemp seeds and in late summer a field was being cleared and a stone hovel was being built not far from the weaving guild and tailor.  Laborers were sent out to collect flax and wild oats.

Five farmers were not enough to harvest the wheat crop before the autumn snow. We would need to start harvest early or assign more farmers, or do both.  Our original cabbage field also did not get completely harvested and we neglected to start the chestnut harvest early.  The apple trees were  planted and doing well.

In early winter the laborers headed towards the mountain to gather stone and iron.  Stockpiles were placed along the road to the mountain to shorten their return.  Some trees were also cut, our supply of firewood was getting low.  Several laborers said they wouldn't mind living in the area by the mountain.  By late winter 2 stone townhouses were built.  We had 87 families but only 80 homes.  Springfield's population was now 256, 162 adults, 32 students, and 62 young children.