News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Is Vanilla your taste?

Started by kid1293, July 13, 2018, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

Hi!
Most of you know me as the one churning out houses in different styles.
I have tried to better myself but I can't help it. :)

I stumbled upon the vanilla thatch roof texture and I have used it on some buildings.
I searched further and found many vanilla textures available for free.

Abandoned said she wanted the shack in her story released. It was only used for her
starting scenario. I retextured it with more or less vanilla textures and I liked it.
I made another one and started to look through my mods for buildings to convert.
When I did not find any I started to make some new.

I have talked to Abandoned and we agree that there should be a mod with some vanilla
'extra' buildings.

Here are some samples to show what I mean.

Two Shacks

School

Smith

Small Barn

What are your thoughts on such a mod?
It will be very much vanilla style. No fancy resources or production chains.
Just a few buildings to fill out some gaps. Vanilla buildings are often large.

:)

kid1293

I have some new and some old building on to do-list.

rkelly17

@kid1293, I like this a lot. At the very beginning of the game, when resources are in short supply and every adult is needed for several jobs at once, it is nice to have some buildings with low requirements such as the vanilla wood house. Later, when survival is secured and prosperity beckons, one can build the nicer--and better quality--houses. Then I like to keep the older buildings as kind of an "old town," more historical section of the settlement, maybe build a memorial park to remember the pioneers or some such. A mod such as you describe would be perfect. If, say, your various "vanilla" buildings had requirements in line with the wood houses they could form a nice foundation for a much larger settlement. Or they could form the core of a "back woods" sort of town that never really gets around to the more sophisticated buildings.

kid1293

I think of these building as complement to the start of a new game.
So, in that you are right.

I have some trouble setting the right cost for some buildings.
I have both wood and stone on the same f-key. It means I can only
have one set of requirements for them. I can maybe separate them into
many toolbar buttons but that is not funny either.  :(

I have not yet thought of the size of this mod. I continue for a while as
long as I am having fun :)

galensgranny

Yes, Yes, Yes and again Yes, to such a mod using the vanilla roof texture!  Even if one uses Vanilla Banished only, such a person would like some more variety.  But, since I have added RK EC, all the Vanilla buildings have been replaced, and I really have wanted some with that thatch roof.  So yay!  You are doing it, Kid.  I do need some  houses also with that texture, because as I said, Red's mod has taken them away.  Re-roofing some or at least one of your already made buildings would be great.

kid1293

Hi Granny!
Some stone and a lot of thatch. Sounds good?  :)

It will be an Old Town mod. Meaning - old as in back to the roots.
I will not dabble in strange production or anything. Just plain basic things.
You can probably load it with any other mod.

I will however take the opportunity to send a thought to Slink and her
stackable houses. You'll see! :)

rkelly17

Yes, a compliment or supplement to the vanilla is worth pursuing.

One of the attractions o Banished in the beginning was the simplicity. Actually it was a deeper complexity hidden behind a simple cover, but I hop you know what I mean. The simplicity was appealing. After awhile, of course, many of us began longing for something more, and modders responded with riches beyond our wildest dreams. Now it is hard to imagine playing without one's favorite collection of mods. And yet. And yet, there is still something appealing about that initial simplicity. That can be addressed with a mod such as what you are proposing, Kid. I hope you find it fun.

galensgranny

Quote from: kid1293 on July 13, 2018, 11:02:49 AM
Hi Granny!
Some stone and a lot of thatch. Sounds good?  :)

It will be an Old Town mod. Meaning - old as in back to the roots.
I will not dabble in strange production or anything. Just plain basic things.
You can probably load it with any other mod.

I will however take the opportunity to send a thought to Slink and her
stackable houses. You'll see! :)
Yes, Kid, I agree and desire all you just said.  Some stone and thatch.  Some wood walls are ok, of course, but stone is so nice.   Just buildings- no production chains or requirements needing this, that and the other in order to build a basic house that the bannies cannot possibly do the first year.   For sure, no "strange production".
I don't want them just for "slap up something temporary for the first year houses".  I want them to be "the home" that lasts and is loved by the bannies for years. 

(Oh, to other modders who do require production chains in order to get glass, clay, lumber etc. to build fancier building, I am fine with that and like that for my "rich people's" section of town.  Just not for my basic, simple folk who like the old ways.)

brads3

as you have heard most players will want this set with the RK mod. is it to be a full set? i would ask for the tailor to make wool clothing as well as leather. the tiny shop doesn't make the wool coats. can the blacksmith be modded after the rowhouse smith and make wood,stone,rough,iron,  and steel tools and muskets?  a small tavern modded similar to the Pilgrim's rest with root beer and ciders. if we want to be fancy set ciders as food  like TOM did in the last North mod. this gives the kids fruit juices but might also increase happiness.not sure if that is possable. a wood canlde shop would be handy.  what about a townhall similar to the wild west mayor's office?

LadyMarmalade

I agree with what has already been said, I would love more start-of-game buildings with the vanilla texturing. I, not sure if it's OCD or not but I have a strong and strange need for my buildings to match and nothing drives me more nuts than not being able to do this. As has been said, with RK's mod all the vanilla houses vanish and , whilst I love the replacements, I would also love to retain the option of vanilla-textured buildings.  I further agree that we dont need complicated and tedious lists of requirements and chains. Just something simple - like me :)
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

galensgranny

Quote from: LadyMarmalade on July 13, 2018, 12:18:39 PM
I, not sure if it's OCD or not but I have a strange need for my buildings to match and nothing drives me more nuts than not being able to do this. ...
I am that way too.  They don't have to totally match, and I don't want every building 100% the same, but they have to compliment each other well with some part matching, not only for size (maybe all have the same roofs but different wall textures, or vice- versa).  Otherwise it just simply cannot be.

Abandoned

I am so happy to hear I am not the only one who really likes original plain and simple and basic vanilla buildings and production.  Old Town is meant to compliment vanilla set, not complicate it or replace it.  I already see it as a must have starting mod, with buildings smaller than vanilla but bigger than tiny.   :)

kid1293

@brads3 - nothing you requested is vanilla! It is only extensions to already existing mods.
I can't make both vanilla and not vanilla and stay sane. It is one or the other.
This time it is vanilla.

I must admit there will be a baker (not vanilla) but artists freedom you know :D :D

brads3

LOL,i tried to keep with mods you had coded already.

kid1293

Thanks @brads3
I admire the work you do, trying to make mods playable. There is nothing simple in that.

But this mod is meant to be simple. Unless I stumble onto something :)