News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned- North Mining Town - (or NMT for short) - Story #13

Started by Abandoned, May 12, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro:   

To date, there are 2 mod sets I have not featured in a story, one is Kid's Tequila mod v3, the other is Red's Medieval Town v2.0.4.  When Tom Sawyer released The North v5 for 1.0.6 I knew it was time to head north, not as far north as the North Pole Fishing Hole but close enough.  Mr. Red kindly made a stand alone of his beautiful Medieval Town fish pond and what do I do?  I use the whole mod.   As my game is still 1.0.6 with several 1.0.7 mods added, I hope all goes well.  If not I will be heading south for tequila sooner than expected.

This is the 13th story in the Smallville series, and it tells the tale of the 9th expedition to leave that town.  This group leaves shortly after the last 2 expeditions, one headed upriver and one went east.  This expedition heads west over the mountains and then North.  A group of nomads arrived in Smallville, one of them had a handful of gemstones he claimed to have found up north.  This expedition is headed north to see what they can find.  They will establish the North Mining Town, or NMT for short.

The map is seed   #289934401   Nordic Valley,   Small,   Mild,   Disasters Off,   Villager Start

The villager start condition consist of 5 families with a large amount of food, clothes, tools, and building materials.  Homes and storage are built, they start with seeds and livestock.  I could have chosen a more difficult start but I wanted a bit of a head start since I decided to use the Proper Time mod.

Mods used are: Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Maps & UI Professions, RK Minimized Status, DS Roads, Natural Diversity Light, An Empty Square, Skill Experienced Gatherer, Stone Tools, The North v5.1, My Precious, Medieval Town v2.04, Better Stockpile Storage, Choo Choo Deco Tunnel,  DS Fences & Decorations, DS Tunnel Mine cc, Fenceless Pasture, Firewood Storage, Garden Shed, Greenhouse, Little Chapel, Kid's Nordic Houses, Proper Time, Smallville (sign) Snowman, Storage Crates, Tiny Chopper, Town Hall, Quarry, Wooden Signs.

So, weary traveler, spring finally arrived in Smallville and what do we do?  We head North into the cold and snow.  Let me tell you, we were one group of weary travelers ourselves when we finally made it over those mountains west of Smallville.  There were 21 of us, 10 adults and 11 children with cartloads of supplies, seeds, and seedlings.  Although it was cold and snowing we were immediately impressed by the beauty of our surroundings.  We erected a Smallville sign and an arrow signpost, picked some of the colorful mushrooms we found and admired a pretty little flock of black grouse we had never seen before.  We headed north with a small creek on one side of us and the mountain ridge on the other.  We found what we at first thought was a mine tunnel but soon realized it was a railroad tunnel.  We thought it must have been built by part of that group of railroad loggers who jammed up the lake.  Most of them died trying to get those logs downriver, their small abandoned village became Smallville.  Well, whoever built that tunnel, we were glad to take shelter in it until we continued North and established North Mining Town, we called it NMT for short.

Nilla

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

Thanks @Nilla , as always I am following your progress too.

@Gatherer LOL map expansions, 3 above, 3below, and 1 on each side. Oh no, say it isn't so!

Abandoned

Chapter 1

The next morning it was decided that the men would travel farther on towards the river bend we saw in the distance and start building houses while we woman stayed in the tunnel with the children.  My husband, Hendel and I, Sallyson, had 1 son, all the other couples had 2 or 3 children.  Staying put a few days and catching up on some washing and resting was a welcome relief.  Our boy, Furmani was almost 9 so he went with his father, which meant I didn't have to keep such a close eye on him and Coretha who he was sweet on.  The girl's mother, Theree, overheard the two talking, more than once, about the North and the gemstones found by the nomad.  Sharing her concern, we agreed our families should go North together rather than risking the young ones taking off together on their own.  The 3 other families decided to join us on the expedition.

The men built some fine log cabins and several small shed so the supplies were all over the place.  They even tossed out some of the grain seeds to attrack some stray chickens, sheep, and 2 milk cows.  It didn't take us women long to collect supplies and settle in. We collected wild foods and herbs and picked up whatever fallen branches we could find for firewood.  Prinent went trout fishing, Ston made sure everyone had enough firewood, Wardo tended the sheep, and I took charge of the chickens.  Hendel planted our first crop of barley.  We had seed potatoes, rye, cabbage, and barley.  All would grow well up here in the North, planting advice from the wise Nordic woman @Nilla, was taught at the outdoor survival school in Smallville.  We wondered if she was anywhere near.

The men could often be seen poking around the rocks and bog iron.  Well, what can you expect, they were of dwarven decent, and no one in the known world knows more about rocks and tool making than a dwarf.  We would have to watch our tool supply carefully, we did not have enough workers for the charcoal pit, bloomery, and blacksmith.

We soon learned that the little black grouse tasted just like chicken and reindeer provided not only tasty venison but fine hides as well.  The first snow began to fall as we finally got the 2 milk cows to their pasture.  Warm milk before bed would help put the children to sleep.  Three boys were born in November, including our 2nd son Therford.  Sadly, Coretha turned 10 before the school was finished, we only had 1 builder now.  Our son, Furmani, said he didn't mind if she wasn't educated as long as she could cook.  We have to watch that boy, I thought as I marvelled at yet another beautiful Northern sunset and pondered the many things we had yet to do.  Yes, we had many concerns as that first year came to an end and the weather turned colder.  We hoped everything would not freeze up.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

By the time the snow melted in spring of year 2, our blacksmith workshop was built.  We all agreed that it was the finest looking  workshop we had ever seen.  We now had a supply of charcoal stored away so Tawannah would switch to working at the bloomery instead. The blacksmith would need bloom and more charcoal to make iron and iron tools.

Our clothing supply was lower than our tool supply so a tailor workshop was built between the blacksmith and sheep run.  At year end we had 11 reindeer hide so Coretha began making parkas, she might not be educated but she could cook and sew.  Her limited skills would have to do, there was no one else.  Last year, our educated hunter provided us with 1,100 venison and 32 chicken meat from the grouse, and Prinent, also educated, caught 568 trout.  The new school house was completed and I became teacher and son Furmani became my first student in August.  The wooden chapel would be completed by then also.  We would not need a cleric, a good thing since we had no worker we could spare, but we all felt protected and watched over just having it there in the center of town.

We had no one to tend an orchard full time so one of the laborers planted apple trees before returning to other tasks.  We again took wise Nordic woman's advice and made the orchard 13'x13'. We also had plum, pear, and cherry seeds and planned to plant the pears or cherries as soon as we could.  Hopefully some day a riverboat merchant will stop by with chestnut seeds.  Until then the seeds and seedling we have would be protected in the greenhouse and cared for by a botanist as soon as we can spare a worker.

We also built a tiny town hall which was plenty big for our needs. We could now keep better track of our town statistics and progress.  We thought that after 2 years we were doing quite well.

Nivzamora

:) I'm enjoying the store, but please what is "An Empty Square" mod? o.o

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nivzamora on May 15, 2017, 11:57:50 PM
:) I'm enjoying the store, but please what is "An Empty Square" mod? o.o

thats an empty 1x1 tile square to block the pathway for citizens (they love to cut corners and pass through diagonal walls ^^)

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=294
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

yep,plus it is useful around buildings or roads to stop trees from growing back and taking over. it is stretchable too so you can make the space bigger for a lawn or pasture area.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

It was a long cold winter but the air was crisp and clean by day and the nights were clear and bright  with thousands of stars and magical colored lights that often danced in the northern skies.  But up here in the North we appreciated the arrival of spring even more.  We still had a fair amount of snow on the ground when spring of year 3 arrived.  We also had a newborn calf in the pasture.  We thought it was awfully early but the reindeer also had new offspring.  There were cute little reindeer fawns all over the place.

As soon as the snow melted, Ston the woodcutter went over the hill beyond the sheep run to see if he could find a good location for a forester's station.  In a small clearing just past the tree line he found the most beautiful little fishing pond.  In July, 2 nomads arrived in town, they said when they saw the wooden chapel with the simple crosses on the roof peak and above the door they knew they would find help here in our town.  They were welcomed to stay and decided they wanted to build a house by that pond. We helped fill their storage crates with wild foods and herbs and collected firewood for their wood pile.  It sure was a pretty spot.  And when winter came again it was just as pretty as ever.  The pond must have formed from a natural hot springs because it did not freeze over as expected and reindeer often came to drink the tepid water.

While we waited for another spring, Coretha was waiting for our Furmani to finish his schooling.  She moved into the new Izba that was built in anticipation of more nomads arriving.  It was finished sooner than expected and Coretha moved in.  We wondered how long it would be before Furmani joined her.

Tom Sawyer

A very sweet story. I like how the game mechanics are embedded in the story, with the chapel for example. The good old pond also looks nice in this terrain but I was sure he had snow in winter. And I'm curious about what treasures you're going to get out of the ground in your NMT. :)

Abandoned

Thank you @Tom Sawyer this is such a pretty game and these mods make it even prettier. Just look a the shadows of the pine trees on the snow in the first picture of this chapter.  I have to keep reminding myself to check my tool and clothing production chains because I'm always off gazing at the scenery or animals.  I really like that chapel, very nice indeed.  :)  There are several directions this story could go, so we shall see.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Spring of year 4 arrived and so did more snow but spring snow never stays around for long.  By then we had a few more essentials built, a small cemetery near the chapel and a medical clinic was near completion behind the town hall near the apple orchard.  A forester lodge and wooden house was built in the forest east of the pond and when Orlandy and Yoselynn arrived in town they choose to move there and requested a gatherer's hut be built there as well.

Another calf was born and we were again delighted by the sightings of reindeer fawns.  Carsenio and Suelo in the pond house had their 1st child, a son they named Lora.  They loved their peaceful setting in the forest with the gentle warmth of the sun and the sound of the wind in the trees and the haunting call of cranes.

Ston and Theree also had a newborn son and so did Hendel and I.  They say good things come in threes, the first 3 MNT newborns were boys and now 3 more.  All well and good, but we needed some baby girls or there was bound to be trouble in the years ahead.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

The medical clinic was completed by spring of year 5, and was ready and waiting if needed.  We were anticipating our 1st apple harvest this year and hoping an apple a day would keep the doctor away.  Our wide assortment of foods would certainly help with that.  The gatherer's hut was completed and Yoselynn collected all she could while tending a newborn, another boy.

In July, 2 more nomads arrived, Websterlin and Shie.  They said they lost their fruit and grain crop 3 years in a row to unexpected early or late frosts and snowfalls. They weren't educated but they could tend our apple orchard and the new crop field that was being cleared.  The location of the new log house that was being built would suit them just fine.  They said we could expect more arrivals, the surrounding areas were not as protected from the elements as our NMT valley seemed to be.  The couple was also impressed with our green house where Theree was now the botanist.

Well, we could certainly use more help and would welcome more newcomers.  Our Furmani was looking forward to getting out of school but Xzavie just became our 2nd student.  We would have a long wait for educated workers.  We had to wait now for work stopages in order to be able to collect needed herbs and stone, having to go farther afield to find both. The search however led to 2 amazing discoveries that stirred the dwarven instincts in all of us.  South of town we found what appeared to be a large stone foundation, and a much smaller ruin was found to the north by the river.  The men began clearing the areas and gathering some stone samples.  Hendel said they needed a special building to store and study these stones and develop special tools to restore these sites.  I didn't see that happening anytime soon.  We still had much to do and haven't even begun looking for precious metals or gemstones.  We had all we could do trying to produce enough food and tools and baby girls.

brads3

where did you get the bench by the chapel at?? that is a different color. those easter egg sites are strange. hope to see more of how you found them or what they do.