News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Riverview Resort - Story 17

Started by Abandoned, July 30, 2017, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 17

Sadly, in late spring of year 24, one of our gatherers ate some poisonous berries and died.  Luckily, the berries were still in her gatherer's hut and were destroyed before anyone else could eat them.  Since another market had been built those berries would have quickly been distributed around town.

The apple seeds we bought at the start of year 24 were planted in a 26' x 6' orchard by 2 farmers.  The hunter's hoped they left enough of the good grazing land intact.  We could not risk lowering our food production.  In order to increase it, 2 fields were cleared on the other side of the river, and we traded for cabbage seeds in late winter.  Cabbage and sweet potatoes would be planted in those 2 fields come spring.

In spring of year 25, 22 immigrants and 1 special visitor arrived.  The last group that arrived from Riverboat Junction informed us that Mr. @RedKetchup  , the canal inspector, had been working very hard and was planning to stop by for a little rest and relaxation.   When his red-roofed houseboat came down the river we were ready for him.  We set aside an upper level apartment with a trapdoor to the roof where he could lounge in the shade of his own private tree.  How the builders got that tree up all those flights of stairs, I'll never know.  He left well before the first snow but he said he'll be back.

In late autumn, our son Sedricky, still a student, moved into the 3rd floor of that tower house with Nichel, one of the new arrivals.  By winter, we traded for beans seeds and had a 3rd field cleared across the river.  A hunter's lodge and fishing pier were also constructed over there.  We had plenty of laborers to go out to collect wild foods and herbs and iron.  Our tool and firewood supplies have dwindled so an anvil and woodcutter were also added near the new houses on the other side of the river.

Riverview had certainly grown.  We now had a population of 249, 129 adults, 52 students, and 68 young children, which made us the largest town in all the known Banished World.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

:) I thought I fit a little vacation for you in there very nicely

Savidan

I'm wondering if this Mr. @RedKetchup is not using the secret trap in the roof to meet someone upstairs ? I was sure this guy was a bit ... naughty :p
or ... on the other hand ... it could be a secret place were he hide mulled wine  :o

Abandoned

LOL @Savidan , hide the mulled wine, it is probably so hot up there in the summer that is where he is brewing it.  :)  Good thing he has that tree for shade.

RedKetchup

my mulled wine is always in my wine cave :) 15 ft beneath the house :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

oh you two do not know what you are talking about  :)  Mulled wine is wine that is heated and sweetened and flavored with spices. 

embx61

Mulled wine? Never knew that but I am not a wine person.

I prefer a drop shot :)

Typical Dutch alcoholic (Not common though I think) with the taste of drop. Drop is the famous Dutch candy as Bartender can tell.
My beloved wife always bought me here in the US liqueris (Spelling?) what is pretty close to drop so at least I had my nice candy. :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Abandoned

That is very interesting, I never heard of the drop.  Cider can be mulled too with spices, that I usually just heat a cup in the microwave with a stick of cinnamon in it.  But a good kettle of mulled wine has a little sugar and allspice, some raisins, lemon and orange slices stuck with cloves and heated slowly for 3 or 4 hours.  One cup and it is nap time before the fires.  :)

Savidan

Yep in France Mulled wine's name is "vin-chaud" literally: hot-wine.
I did not try mulled cider, but since you drink it with cinnamon it should be good :)

Abandoned

Chapter 18

The main focus of year 26 was food production and housing.  There were more families than houses, more young couples wanted places of their own.  Several small houses and an outdoor classroom were built on the other side of the river.  Another pretty house would be built not far from the orchard.

Our first apple harvest was a good one, far better than we expected.  All of our crop harvests  improved or remained the same.  Our food production was the best it had ever been.

We now had enough flax and wool for 2 of our tailors to make linen and wool clothes rather than hide coats.  Our blacksmiths now had enough iron so 2 of the 3 were making iron tools now.  Our markets and trading posts were well stocked and our log and firewood supplies were also holding steady. Our education rate was slowly but steadily increasing.  It was now 16%.

kid1293

Abandoned

:) yes, and these farmers are keeping the market BBQ and Soup kitchen busy.

Abandoned

Chapter 19

In late spring of year 27, 27 immigrants arrived from Riverboat Junction.  They would be the last, all of the families have now relocated, most of them having moved here to Riverview.  Since we could expect no more, there was no point building another hostel even though the currant one was again filled to capacity.  We did however need another school as several of the children with this group would reach school age soon, and of course we needed more housing.

Glen was back to being a builder so I saw very little of him during this time.  The builders were working from sun up to sun set on a variety of different houses around town. The laborers were also extremely busy delivering building supplies and gathering resources. Riverview was a very busy place.  By autumn everyone had a home but the hostel was still full, and there were herbs and wild foods to collect.

I escaped a few times up to the top of the hill and in late winter I took a walk out behind our house to the river where I could see the Smallville sign that Glen erected when he and I arrived in this river valley so many years ago.  There were just the 2 of us then, and now there were 300.

Riverview had certainly grown and changed although the original settlement was much the same as it was  and there were still plenty of fish in the pretty little pond.  We were so proud of the Riverview Resort & Spa side of town, a dream come true for sure.  And the farming areas across the river to the south and across the creek to the west have grown and become quite productive.  In year 28 we planted potatoes for the first time in one of the fields.

And then one day Glen surprised me by saying he had something to show me on the east side of town.  And then just like that day so long ago at the fishing hole,  I smiled and he smiled and he said darling, "take my hand".  I did and we headed east across town.

brads3