News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A mod that makes Banished harder

Started by Nilla, October 23, 2014, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Is it possible to make a mod that makes the people need more food, more wood, more tools, more clothing to survive?

Or a mod that makes it impossible to store food a long time? Fish and meat do get spoiled after some time, same as fruit and vegetables. This would also open the game for new professions, in order to make the food more stable (drying, salting, fermenting) and make more use of some existing mods for advanced products, like cheese.

Pangaea

The first factors you mention is possible to change, as they are stored as values in the files. The second paragraph, however, isn't possible, I don't think. Food is food, and that's that. You can store a fish for 200 years in this game :D

Nilla

Would anyone (except me) want to play such a mod (the possible one; more supply needed)?

I mean:
There are of different kind of "making it easier" mod. I think that it's wrong to talk about cheat, in a game you play on your own But there are many mods, with the purpose  to make the game easier, or more balanced, or take away some "bug" or nasty "gameplay-error".  A wide range.  (Of cause there are, no big deal, choose the one you like and leave the rest. I like a few of them, others, I have no desire to try.)

There are also new production buildings, new stores, markets and other buildings, made to bring more diversity to the game. Often good balanced, with about the same properties as their original "brothers and sisters". Of cause it is this way. Why make a building that is less efficient, less useful than the originals? Not many would use them. I wouldn't. (Or maybe I would; on some rare occasion, if it was beautiful, or in some other way interesting enough)

But I think @irrelevant "hit the nail" in his blog, as he wrote; many of those mods together, make the game easier. I want to use some of the mods, but i do not want the game easier. Could a higher demand of supply maybe be a compensation?

Pangaea

It could be a compensation, but if people prefer to make the game easier, why use it at all? A few probably would, but not many. For instance, I'm pretty conservative with mod use, but do use some that, at least in combination, make the game easier. For example, Longer Living Orchards, grain silo, root cellar and better fields. All make the game a little easier, or less annoying if you will. But I don't really have an interest in doubling the food requirements for citizens or something like that.

A lot of this is contained in Template\Citizen.rsc btw.

irrelevant

@Nilla I definitely would use a mod that made trading less powerful. These are some of the thoughts I had to tone trading down

make the boats come less often
    put in a longer delay for increasing the quantities they bring (increases now at pop 75 and 150, change to 150/300 or 250/500)
    halve the TV of firewood and ale
    increase the premium charged by merchants for ordered goods from 25% to 50%, rounded up

coming up with others wouldn't be hard

I saw your post in your blog about the trading mod you are using, and how boats coming more frequently could require fewer TPs. It's an interesting thought, but do the TPs have time in between boat arrivals to move out the latest purchases and then also to restock with enough trade goods for the next boat?

Pangaea

I keep bringing up this point, but there really isn't a need for the TP spamming, in my opinion. Only have four in my village blog, and that town is up to 3100 pop. If you are going to rely heavily on food import, I can see the need for thousand TPs, but if you are staying more or less independent, then having few TPs is more than fine. Despite only having four, I have problems restocking them at times.

JamieIdle

@Nilla tell me what you want to see and I can make it. It is easy to make the changes required to make the game harder. Remember most find it too hard already, which is why most go for mods that make it easier.

solarscreen

One of the reasons I have more than 4 TPs is because boats only come 1.8 times per year and you never know what they will bring.  I don't want hope and guess work from my traders so I put in as many trading posts as needed to make sure I get all 16 different boats multiple times to get the best options for trade.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

rkelly17

I'm somewhere between @Pangaea and @irrelevant on trade. I want my settlements to be mostly independent, but I also want them to be aesthetically pleasing. Quarries and mines are not aesthetically pleasing, so i usually build 8 or so TPs to make sure I get enough stone and iron after the easily collected surface supply is used up. Too many TPs along the river are not aesthetically pleasing.

As to making the game harder, I'm mixed. I start on Medium or Hard, so I really would not want to see firewood devalued--on Hard that is what gives you the possibility to trade for seeds and livestock at an early enough point to keep health from going down the drain--unless you use the honey mod as universal food or grain. I also think that it is realistic to have a decent trade value for ale. Beer, wine and liquor has always been a valued trade commodity, so why not in Banished? In many small, frontier communities trade was important to life, either in providing necessities that were not locally available (salt comes to mind in some areas--for preserving food) or for bringing in those things that take some of the edge off of life on the frontier (dishes, nicer cloth, etc.).

RedKetchup

from my side.....

things will start to go very very much slower now since Beyond Earth is up now. and the developper didnt answered at all on my last 2 emails. 1 was about cows, and 1 was about the upgrade button on woodhouse. so he is kinda pushing me out :S
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Mahnogard

Quote from: irrelevant on October 24, 2014, 10:22:43 AM
What is Beyond Earth?

I can answer that! The latest entry in the Sid Meier Civilization series. It released starting yesterday, depending on time zone. Released here at 11pm. I got to bed a bit late. :D

Nilla

Quote from: Pangaea on October 24, 2014, 05:36:00 AM
It could be a compensation, but if people prefer to make the game easier, why use it at all? A few probably would, but not many. For instance, I'm pretty conservative with mod use, but do use some that, at least in combination, make the game easier. For example, Longer Living Orchards, grain silo, root cellar and better fields. All make the game a little easier, or less annoying if you will. But I don't really have an interest in doubling the food requirements for citizens or something like that.

A lot of this is contained in Template\Citizen.rsc btw.

I don't mean double, (I would maybe try that too. if there was a mod like that. but surly not very successful ;)  )

Template/Citizen? Sorry do not know that. Which mod is that?

Quote from: irrelevant on October 24, 2014, 05:48:12 AM
@Nilla I definitely would use a mod that made trading less powerful. These are some of the thoughts I had to tone trading down

make the boats come less often
    put in a longer delay for increasing the quantities they bring (increases now at pop 75 and 150, change to 150/300 or 250/500)
    halve the TV of firewood and ale
    increase the premium charged by merchants for ordered goods from 25% to 50%, rounded up

coming up with others wouldn't be hard

I saw your post in your blog about the trading mod you are using, and how boats coming more frequently could require fewer TPs. It's an interesting thought, but do the TPs have time in between boat arrivals to move out the latest purchases and then also to restock with enough trade goods for the next boat?

I have just started that game so I don't know yet.

And I don't think it is really necessary to make trade so much harder. You do not have to build so many trading-ports (or no one at all)

I like it all!!! Good games with no trade, good games where I support my population with trade only and everything in between. I want to use mods but still have a challenge.......  :-\ :o :-[

Your big Sink MIll was a combination of farming and trade. How many people was occipied in farming and how many on exportproduction and logistic? (OK also only farming need some logistic, but far from that much) I am not so sure that trade is so much overpowered, if you look at everything.

Quote from: JamieIdle on October 24, 2014, 06:51:39 AM
@Nilla tell me what you want to see and I can make it. It is easy to make the changes required to make the game harder. Remember most find it too hard already, which is why most go for mods that make it easier.

At the moment I am testing your trademod, I hope it will work out for a big game. That will take some time, but after that, I would very much like to play a game with many good mods and a demand for all supplies increased with 20-25%.

irrelevant

@RedKetchup So is that what you will be spending your time on now? :(