News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Modded game crashed x4 - have dump files

Started by CathyM, June 07, 2019, 03:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CathyM

Hi -
I tried to post this once, but now I don't see it.. I was playing the game when it just crashed/froze, and I have dump (dmp) files, but it says I can't upload those here, nor can I open them w/any program I have... anyone know how I can find out what is causing the crash? I lose everything if autosave doesn't catch it... I have Windows 8.1 and mods are: Debug, RKEditors Choice Lite, Multi-Story Housing and Colorful Houses, in that order. Thanks for any info! I am definitely LOVING the Editors Choice - even though I can only run Lite on my old computer!! (RK, in case it matters, the only difference between this game and the one before that didn't crash is I'm using the Woodland Meadows Plain terrain instead of Fresh Spring Plain).

estherhb

There are a couple of things that could cause this. Make sure you are using the current version of Banished: v. 1.0.7 Build 170910. You can find that at the bottom of the first menu when you open the game.  The other frequent reason is that your game is crashing when it tries to autosave because your anti-virus software is preventing it.  You will need to go into your anti-virus software and make sure Banished is listed as an exception. There should be instructions on-line how to do that depending on the software you have.  Be sure to let us know if neither of those fix the problem. 

RedKetchup

maybe you are facing some limitations from your old pc :(
try to play smaller maps.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

i would try dumbing down the graphics. you might get away with thatr computer is running other programs, you could be pushing the limit.if you are using a laptop i would disable the internet connection.

CathyM

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I've been playing so much I haven't had a chance to get back here until now.  :-\ I know my older computer has limitations; I try to stop all other programs before running Banished. I haven't had the crashing again with Fresh Spring Plain, or with the Woodland Meadow. Now I suspect that some program was trying to update w/o my permission (I hate programs like that!!  >:( ) I play with Medium map... and again I need to say how much fun the Editor's Choice mod is!!  ;D One of these days I might get an updated computer and be able to play the full version! But the lite version is wonderful... I'd hate to dumb down the graphics - it's watching that wonderful landscape and the realistic people and animals that I most enjoy.

I got up to almost 1k bannies, with nomads, and am having trouble keeping them all busy!  :-\ I also had glitches in housing... I'm guessing with something like 100 bannies always looking for housing, the system is confused. I'm getting 5 year old alone in a house, and as before, getting a lot of that single male occupants, even (like I said) when there are many, many couples waiting! I just kick them out and tell the AI to try again.  ;) I also got an odd visual - palm trees bearing blackberries (see photo).  :D

brads3

RED swears he checked it and there is nothing wrong with the blackberry.LOL what start setting are those palms from? that woud help RED re-check it.

is it just 1 child living alone? thou odd,i did have 1 stay at school homeless by himself.no matter what i did he stayed homeless until he finished his schooling such a dedicated student.

a residence fix mod,i think it was put out by CC, did goof up my housing. 1 day it started acting up, seemed fine before that. not sure if it conflicted because of a nerw mod or not. was some time back. as fast as i built houses,more would go homeless. they could be next to an empty boardinghouse and still would shw homeless. i built more housesand sure enough more would go homeless.

glad to hear you have the game working.

RedKetchup

housing always been acting like this since vanilla. if your citizens are walking too much slowly and way too far.... it is messing with your house assignments. anyways, never a player should build an house and dont look who got it, at least , in my games ^^

about crop/orchards. if you hesitate and give wrong assignment (wrong seeds), asap the citizen (farmer) got the task to go to work, it is set already set what he will plant. if you try to change seeds during the time he gets to his working place.... wont work because everything is set in stone as the citizen makes its 1st step toward. will need to wait to next year(crops) or wait 6 years (orchards) before seeing the change of seeds.
thats the way the game has been coded.

CathyM

Thanks, Red, for explaining about the orchard... it's possible I did choose something palm-ish and then quickly chose differently... The odd thing is that it was raising blackberries, though the image is wrong, rather than him raising the wrong plant...

On the housing thing - how do you keep a citizen from walking too slow or too far? I often set the speed to 5, in order to speed up the parts that are redundant to me. I have seen this single housing glitch in other versions, but the more people, the worse it gets... come to think of it, I was adding people using the Debug screen - maybe that confused the software. And then I added 70 nomads at one go... but they asked...  ;D

... and did I mention I was "hired" by my company, some decades back, to idiot-proof their software, because I was so good at hitting the wrong key and blowing up the software after they'd done all their testing?  ;D I seem to have a knack for doing what others think impossible.  ::)

My biggest new issue is that the Plains setting seems to make wild animals disappear... or possibly it's some glitch that happened when I added the Multi-story housing to the Editors Choice Lite, because I don't recall it happening before that. (And the NMT31 Multi-Story Housing Version 4.0 shows "red" combined with the Editors Choice Lite, so there is some incompatibility)
Basically, after year 2 (or 3 at max), the Hunters Cabin finds no game at all! And in my roving inspection of the whole map, I don't see ANY animals, either! And I'm playing on the Easy setting, so I'm not expecting a complete dearth of meat. I've attached a photo of one hunter report - but the next year there was nothing on either side (ie: 2 years, no meat). Also attaching image of a newborn getting a house before many others (I think I have over a hundred waiting for homes)... and another of nomads - I guess the program didn't know what to do with so many at once!! They are like clones!  ;D

But also - it seems with this mod combo (Debug, RKEditors Choice Lite, Multi-Story Housing and Colorful Houses, in that order), I'm not getting ANY warning when my barns and storage areas are full - just lots of stuff lying around. It's not a biggie to me, just FYI. I did check and I'm using v. 1.0.7 Build 170910.

Always something new and interesting with this game! I'm so hooked on playing that my dishes have been in the sink for 2 days.  :D

RedKetchup

bah you hunter did pretty good last year. remember all the packs of wild animals are moving. they dont stay super long

Nilla

What size map do you play? I have noticed that the wild animals more often disappear on small maps than on larger. Especially after you´ve put up some buildings. Also on bigger maps, I´ve seen them disappear for a while but here they reappear after some time.

brads3

that makes sence. since there would be less animals, you could overhunt them faster.

i have a few tricks. 1> i use TOM's quick hunters early in games. only when i see herds of near 10 animals come close by. if it is only 1 or 2 elk i let them go. the animals need time to multiply and move around the map.there is usually a herd near but the others are far away.

2>  i space the hunters out more and dont add extra hunters to the cabins. many of my hunters are set betwen 2 forests with 1 worker.yes i may get less meat ,but i do get it consistently.

3> to help balance the bannies needing food,add a tower hunter by RED or KID.these tower hunters brng meat without actually killing animals.even thou they can cover more ground they have no impact on the herds.i put 1 of these on a fort and space them out to overlook farm areas or meadows.

4> you have to think like in RL. RED's animals are spookish. yeah,i know it is a game and supposedly there is no way he can make them do that. the more you make noise or chase them, the more these animals run away and hide. if you build here, they go over there.clear land on 1 side of toen and the next year work the opposite side. check the cleared area for herds and add a quickhunter when they come by. with RED's animals you can hear them well when you zoom in or out about 25% and click around the map.

wise indians says if you are fat today,you starve tomorrow.

CathyM

I believe you, Brad... it really does seem like the animals "spook" and wander to a quieter area. But I thought that was just my imagination.  :-\ And I didn't realize that they needed time to multiply. I am using a lot of hunters per cabin. It didn't seem to cause problems in the vanilla game, but  I'm probably over-hunting without realizing it... thanks. I will look into quick hunter and tower hunter - I didn't know about either.

I play on a medium map. Thanks, all!

CathyM

Brad - I checked downloads and can't find anything like "TOM's quick hunters" or tower hunters... can you give me an exact name for the download? I'd really appreciate it!!

Nilla

CathyM

Thanks, Nilla! A new Banished mod set!! That's cool!  ;D