News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Using Wheat to make Ale - DON'T DO IT!

Started by irrelevant, June 23, 2014, 07:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Here's an example. Five breweries in this screenie @ two port/market combos.

Another one. Six breweries in here with another one building (in the spot where I just demolished my first hospital, smack in the center of town). ;D

RedKetchup

woah 1927 citizens !\/! so lovely !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

irrelevant

Okay, one unanticipated glitch with using wheat to make ale, the volume produced is limited by the inputs, not by the output. In other words, the annual production of ale at a brewery using wheat is only 30% as much as at one using fruit. So, plan B: jam the TPs with wheat for trade, as @RedKetchup suggested.

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on June 24, 2014, 01:57:27 PM
Have you found a good strategy to supply your breweries with fruit?

In the 500 farmer challenge town, where I am trying to maximize the number of farmers, I am keeping 18 taverns supplied with cherries. I have been growing most of them myself--every couple of years I buy a thousand or two just to make sure, but normal supply is over 10,000. That involves many, many 4 high by 15 wide cherry orchards, probably 4-6 per tavern. In a normal settlement I'm not sure I'd do that. Most of my 4 times 9X9 farms have one 9X9 square devoted to fruit other than cherries for the citizens to eat. There are large blocks of 15X4 cherry orchards near every cluster of taverns, which are mostly near trading posts since I'm selling all the ale. Lately I've noticed that the predominant fruit in most of my markets is also cherries, since that is what is most plentiful of the fruits, so every couple of years I'm buying 2-4000 peaches, pears, plums or apples to supplement.

Like I said, though, I don't think I'd do this in a normal town. Those taverns consume a lot of fruit.

RedKetchup

ya in my 500 farmers map i closed all brewers since 3-4 years, since my food stock got murdered by bad frost. maybe before final save i ll put them up, depending of my stock/production/used

mariesalias

Okay, you guys have convinced me! I traded away my overstock of wheat and am focusing on just three fruits to buy for all the taverns. I have some orchards of all the fruits so the people will still have fruit.

I did not put any of my taverns very near trade posts though (so far) and only two are near the orchards currently. I am not used to having so many farms and taverns; it is a learning experience for sure!

irrelevant

Also related to trading and production, I'm abandoning making steel tools. From now on I'm making only iron tools to sell, and I'll buy steel tools; iron sell for 8 and steel cost only 12. If I run out, they can use the damn iron tools. I'm tired of buying coal so my heat seekers can use it in their homes. They snap it up and burn through it like crack.

irrelevant

Quote from: irrelevant on June 26, 2014, 05:38:57 PM
I'm tired of buying coal so my heat seekers can use it in their homes. They snap it up and burn through it like crack.
...and now there's a firewood crisis.  ::)

Paeng

Quote from: mariesalias on June 25, 2014, 04:18:55 PMam focusing on just three fruits to buy for all the taverns. I have some orchards of all the fruits so the people will still have fruit.

Yeah, I'm going a similar route - some orchards with different fruit and nuts, as supplement for my markets (and town 'eye-candy'  ;) )... while my breweries (currently 7) are dotted around my map (without any real concern about proximity to ports and such), I buy ONE fruit (currently pears, by the thousands) for ALL my brewers... The pear-ale goes directly to my ports, and I make good profit on it, allowing to buy e.g. steel tools (which, like Irrelevant, I have given up to produce on my own)... and I don't really have to do much management for it.

For my playing-style I like this brewery/orchard combination best... otherwise I find orchards for general food production way too unreliable...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on June 26, 2014, 09:16:42 PM

Quote from: irrelevant on June 26, 2014, 05:38:57 PM
I'm tired of buying coal so my heat seekers can use it in their homes. They snap it up and burn through it like crack.
...and now there's a firewood crisis.  ::)

This is why I gave up on making steel tools. The little buggers are so greedy of coal that I have never been able to avoid an eventual tool crisis when trying to make steel tools. Now I just use coal to supplement firewood as needed. In my largest settlements I end up buying firewood and coal as well as woodcutting and mining. I really should build more stone houses.

irrelevant

@rkelly17  In my vegetarian town, I'm being pretty diligent about building mainly stone houses. In those cases where I slap down wooden houses (on the edge of expansion where raw materials and laborers are scarce), I go back through and upgrade pretty much continuously. Having a few boarding houses scattered around makes this relatively painless, plus there's the added bonus of evicting the basement dwellers and encouraging them to hook up.

It is making a huge difference in both the firewood and also the log situation.

mariesalias

I am also making an effort in my vegetarian town to build more stone houses. I don't know if I can build all stone houses though, as I am not crazy about the models for them.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on July 05, 2014, 09:33:18 AM
@rkelly17  In my vegetarian town, I'm being pretty diligent about building mainly stone houses. In those cases where I slap down wooden houses (on the edge of expansion where raw materials and laborers are scarce), I go back through and upgrade pretty much continuously. Having a few boarding houses scattered around makes this relatively painless, plus there's the added bonus of evicting the basement dwellers and encouraging them to hook up.

It is making a huge difference in both the firewood and also the log situation.

I know I should probably build more stone houses. In the early going I never have enough stone and then I have certain aesthetic sensibilities which lead me to build log houses on farms and in forest villages. In my vegetarian town I am trading in enough stone that I could convert all of my log houses to stone--if I just remember to.

RedKetchup

in my vegetarian chalenge i never never did a wooden house. since year 0, before i click 'play' only stone houses were settled on the ground.