News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

All achievements in one town

Started by Nilla, October 24, 2015, 01:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I'm back from my holidays in Spain. It was great. Perfect wheather for me and my sick bones; not too hot, but warm enough to swim in the sea and be outside, even in the evening without a sweater. In fact I've been home for about a week, but as I got back, I got a really bad cold. But now its a bit better.

News: I have a new computer! It's not really new; it's my sons old one. I use to inherit his 2-3 year old machines, still very good. 

You might remember that I had some problems with bugs, so I decided to install Banished new, instead of only copy it from the old hard drive. New computer and new installation means no achievements! So I have decided to try to get all achievements in one town. The tricky part is that "Mountain men achievement". It means that everything has to be made on a small mountain map. I have no idea if it's possible, but I will give it a try.

Is it possible to make the isolationist (300 inhabitants), one with nature (400) and the big problem; uneducated (300) on a small mountain map? I'm not sure. The uneducated is the tough thing. First i thought, I will start normal with schools and get the isolationist and one with nature, rebuild the town to a nice mixture of farming and trade and than close all schools. But the achievement says; without building any schools! So, no schools from the start.

irrelevant

Nice to see you back! Hope you had a great trip to Spain.

This is a very interesting challenge you have set for yourself. Looking forward to seeing your town.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I started this game yesterday.

I looked at a few random maps, but they were no good, so I decided to use a recycled one; number 7. I've used it before in that "King of the mountain" challenge. I think it`s as good as it can get for this purpose; the space for foresters/gatherers is alright, there is room for enough trading ports, there is also a lake (one achievement is a long bridge).

I start on medium. Not because of the crops, but because there are some building materials to start with and I supppose that every stone, log and piece of iron is precious in this game. There are also two more educated persons, compared to the hard start. I have the feeling I will need them.

I will tell you about my strategy as I show the pictures.

First picture, year 3

One foundation for success will be enough tools. We all know how bad toolproduction is with uneducated blacksmiths (and miners) and I can't buy anything. So first strategy: Produce as much tools as possible at the beginning with educated workers. I have built the blacksmith and the tailor separate, with only one house close. This strategy isn't foolproof. I have to keep an eye on the blacksmith (and tailor) all the time.

Second strategy: Store as much food as possible. I will use as much of the area as possible for foresters and gatherers, try to include every spot, where deer grass in a hunter's circle and all available water area in a fisher's circle. I´ll expand these food producers as soon as I have enough building materials.

Third strategy: At the beginning; as few houses as possible, but still close enough to working places.

Second picture, year4

As i said; only one house close to the blacksmith isn't fool proof. Builders have high priority, so building projects might cause problems. In this case I was lucky, the new blacksmith is educated, too. Another problem is that just adult 10-years old prefere the proffessions of blacksmith and tailor. As i don't build houses for every new adult, I have to make some "hous-swaps" from time to time.

Third picture, year 12

This is where I stopped yesterday. The first generation has started to die of old age. I'm quite pleased with the tool storage, but I've built a second blacksmith anyway. I'm not sure how long the tools will last. I've never had enough building materials to build a city hall, so I have no statistics. The food production have priority. Stoneproduction is miserable, so I have to consider carefully, how I use every stone.

I would have liked to have a larger store of food but I have done all I could. Most of the food producers have been uneducated all the time, so it doesn't make much different when all educated are gone. The stores still grow and I have some spots left to develop but there is a long way to go.

irrelevant

You still have your educated smith though, and goodly pile of tools. Very nicely done.

Stone is ugly, as you say. What % is your quarry at?

How many houses do you have now, 40-45? I think you'll need at least ~80-85 to get to pop 300. In Gopher Prairie I had 88 when I got the uneducated achievement.

Nilla

I can count the houses, if you really want to know, when I go on with the game tonight (I have no town hall yet and I don't think I can build one soon either).

I might even need a few more houses than 80-85. After I have reached the full production of food, I need to grow fast. I can't possibly produce food for 300 people without farming with an uneducated workforce. The only hope to get the 300, is a fast growth; a house for every possible couple (if I have enough building materials). Of cause, the crash will come sooner or later. I hope later, after I've passed 300 inhabitants.  :-\ ;D

There's still a lot of stone in the quarry; 80% or something, so I hope this one will be enough for now. I will need more quarries later for the other achievements, but that will be one of the the last thing I do.

Nilla

I played a little this afternoon, but I hadn't much desire to count the houses. Anyway 200 inhabitants, foodsupply still growing but not very fast anymore. I suppose this will be the most there is. I posted a picture in that other thread.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1026.msg20002#msg20002

Nilla

YES! :) :D

First picture, year 21

First big challenge done! 3 new stars (and some others along the way)!. Not without trouble, but safe. I still have food in the stores, there's enough tools, but not enough clothes. Luckily the difference between no clothes and leather coats isn't that big.  Firewood was a problem the last few years. There wasn't enough logs. I had to cut a lot of trees "manually" with labourers. But all in all; it went well. I followed the strategies I had from the start.

At this point, I had to decide what to do next. The question is; could this settlement survive without a big starvation? I still have no city hall and I do miss the statistics.

I have 23000 food and 250 tools in my stores, so there is no immediate crisis. But the supply were at its peak by 200-220 inhabitants. That means, that with 300 people there's a lack of about 8000 food each year. Could it be managed? I had a lot of thoughts about this.

- As I planned; the population is growing fast at the moment, but I could "fake"demolish every house, where fertile people live, to force a "natural" population reduction. With closed houses they will also need less firewood. But it's a slow process.
- Of cause I will build schools, so the productivity will eventually increase, but this is also a very slow process.
-I can build trading ports and buy some food. But there is a major problem. What could I sell? The only possible thing would be venison. There is nothing left in the stores (it's mostly fish), but I produce about 3000 venison each year, so with a couple of trading ports, it could work. But when the food stores are empty; how much of the venison will reach the trading ports? And how often do a food/general merchant arrive? One port will not be enough. Is there building materials enough for several?

I made a coward decision. I did nothing (except building schools), put the speed on 10X and waited.

This is the result.

Second picture, year 26

I will keep a "save" of the game in year 21. I might give it a try some other time, but I think the odds to avoid the "crash" are small. This is the easy way. I can start over with a small population, get them educated and go for the next achievements. There's plenty of time; 200 years!!!!!  ;)

irrelevant

Nice job! Excellent drive to the finish on those tough achievements. The only one I'm thinking you may have a very tough time with on this map, no matter how long you go at it. is the one for 400 graves. But maybe with a total trade economy and very dense housing. It would be easier with no education and the bigger sine wave I think.

Nilla

Thank you @irrelevant. The graves is one of the harder achievements to come, stone production as well. But these will be the last ones I'll go for.

I couldn't resist it. I had to go back to year 21 and give it a try: survive without (big) starvation. I didn't really thought it would work, but it did! :) Not completely without starvation. I lost 10-15 people, but no mass-starvation this time.

I did it the way I described in my last thread: 

I built 3 schools. For a very short time they were all full, one or two children missed the education, but after that the number of children went down very much, so I didn't want to spend building materials for a fourth one. Maybe a couple of children missed education as well, because the third school wasn't ready soon enough.

I closed the houses with fertile women. A lot of homeless people. After a while the number of children went down too much, so I let the people slowly move in again.

I built 2 trading ports, and stored as much venison there as possible. As soon as a food merchant arrived (first boat!!, no save!!, luck!!), I let him stay at the port, until I've bought every food worth 1, that he had. It took some years. There was a boat with food at one of the ports almost all the time. I also bought 50 tools, the stores were almost empty. There was a small surplus of firewood a short time, so it was possible.

One tricky thing is to build something at the some time as there are "fake demolished" houses. The priority tool doesn't always work. As it finally does; you can seldom use more than one builder, so it takes some time to get the buildings ready. A few houses was actually demolished. No big thing, they will all be rebuild to stonehouses as soon as I can afford the building materials anyway.

First picture, year22

Sorry, ugly wheather. The food merchant will save us!
Finally I have buildingmaterials enough to build that bridge to the small island for another fishing hut.

Second picture, year 28

It took long, but now I had enough building materials for the town hall. Here's the foodstatistics.
You can see a big difference as the blacksmiths are educated. :) There were almost no tools left for a short time.

Third picture, year31

Population statistics.
The production of food (and other things) are higher than the consumption. So there is no need to let the foodmerchants stay. I will still buy food; some corn for variety and apples to start an ale-production, but mainly, I want building materials. At the moment there are about 85 families for my 95 homes and that would be an excellent opportunity to upgrade the houses. The production of firewood increases, so I even have something to sell. I've also put some tools in the trading ports. Don't know yet, if I will sell them, or just keep them for an emergency.

Nilla

Played a bit yesterday evening. I'm going for the 400 "One with nature", but it's slow. But some other stars popped up; all healthy, lumbarjack.

Anyhow, I wanted to be back on the 300 before I stopped for the night. It took until year 40. I'm not sure that the "starvation alternative" had been much slower. There was a batch of about 30 nomads. They could have speeded things up, but I want the educated achievement, so I rejected them.

I have started to buy all seeds. After "One with nature" I will go for the food achievements. There is one; "Foodie" (2000 food from each hunter, gatherer, fisher, farms, orchards, pastures) , I have to make, before I demolish too many hunting huts. I continue to upgrade some houses to stonehouses. I pick the one, I will keep for a while. In areas I plan to rebuild soon, I keep the wooden houses for now.

First picture

I have started to rebuild the area close to the river; there will be much ale and wood production for export.

Second picture

My second marketplace. I wanted it there for a long time, but as so often at the beginning of this town; lack of building materials.

irrelevant

I really like the look of your town now. Tearing stuff out and rebuilding to a new idea is very challenging; I've tried it a couple of times and found it extremely difficult.

tomnobles

Not one town, but I have a hang-up with the Firefighter achievement. I've tried three times on different maps with no luck. Do I have to wait for a fire?

Map:  http://tomnobles.com/images/Banished/images/Map.png

Achievements;  http://tomnobles.com/images/Banished/images/Achievements.png

Nilla

No, @tomnobles, you don't need a fire. You need more than 20 wells. Probably some writing error on the menu. I can't remember anymore how many you need. Maybe someone can. Otherwise, just build wells, until you get the achievement.

Yes @irrelevant. It's interesting to replan all, and for me somehow new. I have never done much of rebuilding before. Just minor adjustments; transforming some forest area to farmland and such things. Now more or less everything have to be change, several times. But the look isn't very appealing. I'm lucky that good looking is no achievement.  ;)

Finally got that "One with nature" achievement. I also have all seeds (although I had to order apples).

First picture, year 45

The reconstruction starts.

Second picture, year 49

A few years later. I'm waiting for the pastures to produce 2000 food. Than I can rebuild more forest areas. After the "foodie" I will go for the pasture challenge; 60 cattle, 75 sheep, 180 chicken. That will need some space. I will use the farm and orchard area. That will probably not be enough. We will see.

Third picture year 49

I will go for the population achievements as well (600 and 900). So I will need more harbours and more trading goods.

I just noticed one mistake; I emptied and demolished that quarry. As long as I haven't got all other achievements that need space, I will not build another one. So the achievements ; all buildings and all occupations will have to wait.

irrelevant

Quote from: tomnobles on October 28, 2015, 07:20:07 PM
Not one town, but I have a hang-up with the Firefighter achievement. I've tried three times on different maps with no luck. Do I have to wait for a fire?

Map:  http://tomnobles.com/images/Banished/images/Map.png

Achievements;  http://tomnobles.com/images/Banished/images/Achievements.png
@tomnobles You need 40 wells, not 20.