News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

No nomads?

Started by irrelevant, October 20, 2014, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

If you have a town that just isn't getting nomads, try putting a bridge over the river.  They spawn at the map edge (usually north? that's what I see) and they just may be unable to pathfind their way to your town hall.

Do you ever feel bad about denying nomads? Sometimes I do. Weird! ::)

salamander

I feel bad about turning nomads away, too.  In the early game, when the numbers are more manageable, I almost always take them in, and I try to build hospitals as soon as I can just so I can let nomads in and deal with disease outbreaks.  But I seem to be population management challenged, so later on I have no choice but to send them packing when their numbers get too high.

irrelevant

I just turned away 8 of them. Poor wretched things. Would it really have been such a hardship to take them in? No, unless they brought smallpox, like that other time  ;)

salamander

You're cold ... soooo cold.  ;D

irrelevant

I lol'd  ;D

edit: I'm such a sap; I went back to my last save for a do-over; I took them  ;D

slink

I used to take them in, but then I realized that they lowered the education level of my colony by a substantial amount.  They turned self-sustaining colonies into marginal operations, and not by simply adding mouths to feed.

irrelevant

@slink yes, I generally agree with that, but in the early stages, they can provide much-needed labor. I was amazed at what taking in just 8 of them allowed me to build the following year.

salamander

I wonder if it's possible to somehow nomad-proof a town beyond just having excess production to absorb the lowered education effect.  Maybe something like having boarding houses away from production centers so the nomads are more likely to become laborers.  The uneducated nomad adults would probably eventually move into vacant houses near production buildings, but it might give time for at least some of the nomad kids to go to school.

irrelevant

@salamander I've done that in a couple of earlier towns. It works okay, but it's really only worth it if you are planning on taking in a large number of nomads.

If you are just taking in a few, you can easily manage where they end up living by keeping in mind that when you have homeless bannies, they will get the next available housing. Just figure out where you want them to be, and plop down your next houses there. The nomads will get those houses. Keep 'em all together, or spread 'em around. Just keep them far away from your critical production (tools, clothes, firewood). The ideal location is someplace where they will most likely become laborers. Just remember to consider where they live when you are siting future production buildings.

salamander

Yup ... I can see that what I mentioned might only be a temporary fix, and maybe not worth the effort, since as your town expands nomad housing on the edge suddenly becomes more central, and you'd always be tearing down boarding houses to move them further out.  With normal houses built on the outskirts ( what you mentioned), if you're good at planning, they could become part of the normal housing needed as you get bigger.  Maybe by the time you expand out that far the education hit would be over.

There's definitely more to this game than meets the eye, if you're just willing to think about future consequences of your decisions.

Coug_r

When I accept nomads I usually set up a special district for them. I put down a bunch of buildings (depending on their number): market, houses, fields...

I don't build houses anywhere else until they all have a roof in this new district. This way they all move there and don't impact the production in other districts.

Of course the production of this new district will be low during a few years, but at least they will be self-sufficient (food wise) and they will not take over dead people's jobs in other districts.

PS: reading again my post, sounds very racist: "darn non-educated migrants, they steal our kids jobs!" This game is going to turn me into a redneck :o.

assobanana76

Quote from: Coug_r on October 23, 2014, 03:43:15 AM
PS: reading again my post, sounds very racist: "darn non-educated migrants, they steal our kids jobs!" This game is going to turn me into a redneck :o.
indeed it seems ...  ::) :)
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

slink

Don't forget the diseases that they bring ...  ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 07:20:29 AM
Don't forget the diseases that they bring ...  ;)

This thread has started to sound like certain well-known politicians in the US and Canada.  ;D

I have to admit that in Banished I only admit nomads the first couple of times they come when I desperately need workers by any means possible. Then I get rabidly anti-immigrant. And this from someone who used to walk in vigils in support of undocumented workers!  :-[

slink

As opposed to unionized workers?  That is a hard call.   ???