Banished Vanilla or with Mods running extremely slow, jumpy, skipping!

Started by Jewels8, July 21, 2018, 04:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: Jewels8 on July 23, 2018, 06:38:10 AM
@Hawk  Cores? this is way beyond me..

That's OK! I was just trying to address @rkelly17 's question.  ;)

It sounds to me like a Windows update has done something to your system that causes Banished to not run right.
One thing that is fairly common knowledge with techies is that getting driver updates from Microsoft for you hardware is not a good idea, but Microsoft still pushes their junk out. It can cause problems for folks.
I don't know if that's your issue but it is something to check. You should be able to tell by running dxdiag and check the video driver date.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

RedKetchup

i find it very strange you only have 10GB of virtual memory with 8GB physical RAM....

what is the space left on your c:\ ??
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

@Jewels8, I don't see anything that from your task manager screenshots that stands out to me as a problem. You have a processor that is probably more than Banished needs and enough RAM. I note that you have NVIDIA programs running. Do you have an NVIDIA graphics card? Do you get your drivers straight from NVIDIA?

galensgranny

I only have 4.0 GB of RAM, so being as you have more than that, Jewels8, and from your Task Manager screenshots, it does not seem you have a problem with other processes taking up too much memory to play, the way I have to take care about.
It maybe was something about one of the Windows Updates.  You could try uninstalling the most recent Windows update.  Somewhere there is something such as  "Windows Update Troubleshooter" you might find and investigate.  On occasion, an update doesn't get fully installed, or a person turned off their computer when it was in the middle of doing the install.  I have a laptop with Windows 10, but almost never use, preferring my PC with Windows 7, so I don't know much about Windows 10.

Or, if you have a restore point, you could turn back your computer to an earlier date when things worked well.

galensgranny

Jewels8

Thanks @brads3 did run the dxdiag and the driver date is over a year ago. you will see the this in capture003
@RedKetchup I have very little space left on my physical drive, I have been meaning to buy a external drive to transfer my huge media files and free up my C drive, have attached capture007. @rkelly17 I do have a NVidia GEForce GT 745M see in capture003
@galensgranny will have a look at the Windows updates and see if I can roll back to an earlier version and see if that makes any difference, and Thank  you for your well wishes for Charlie! :)

galensgranny

Oh, Jewels8, you do have a lot stored on your computer!  I have 721 GB of free space.  I don't think free space matters so much for the game, though, as long as there is some available.

RedKetchup

no 72GB you should have enough... unless your windows doesnt want to take more than 10% if your available space.
check if you can load and restore an old backup

gozer

Hi, what are your power setting?
Maybe you set this to power save, then the CPU (computer processor) is limited. This could explain why the behavior in both cases...

-- Banished is a simple complicated complex game

Jewels8

Well I don't believe I can fix this, I have tried to narrow it down and pinpoint it to something but have no idea anymore. Removed some data from C drive to free up space, uninstalled recent windows updates and No I don't have any power saving enabled. I think my best way is to just reinstall windows like on a previous occasion and that was because the so called computer tech guy said I had adware on computer and he couldn't remove it so the solution was to wipe the computer clean and reinstall everything! There is no virus being detected or adware or malaware this time..so I have no idea what happened. Thank you all who shared possible scenarios why this was happening, much appreciation..Cheers!

gozer

Good luck with the reinstall, 90+% of all Windows related issues will be solved with reinstall  :)
But it is always a lot of work...
-- Banished is a simple complicated complex game

RedKetchup

galensgranny

Jewels, I am sorry you can't find something that would make an easy fix.  I had high hopes for you uninstalling the recent Windows update in case it didn't download fully and made things wonky.  That helped me one time.  I hope you get things working well again soon.
How is your cat?

Jewels8

So kind of you to ask @galensgranny Charlie my male cat, one of 5 of my beloved kitkats is in hospital due to FLUTD poor bugger couldn't do a wee, apparently it is quite common for de-sexed male cats to have this condition, they get plugged up and since they're penis's are so small, it is very important soon as you notice this to get them to hospital as it can prove fatal! He has been hospitalised last three days, and is doing well now due to be released tonight if he can show that he can urinate freely once the catheter is removed. Looking forward to bringing him home!  :)

galensgranny

@Jewels8 , I hope Charlie won't get blocked again. I found a cat on the street who was so blocked, he was just dripping blood!  He got all fixed up at the vet hospital, fortunately.  His blockage seemed to be due to a bacterial infection.  Who knows how long that sweet, tame cat was lost on the streets and what he might have gotten into.  I never had that problem with any of my male cats over the years, thank goodness.  Does Charlie need special food now, to help avoid the problem in case it was due to bladder or kidney stones?