News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Oolitic: as hard as I can make it

Started by irrelevant, November 06, 2015, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

@Nilla I would love to have 40k, but I don't really see how that is possible. I'm trying to see if I can get 20. I'm going to have to try to plateau my pop close to where it is now, 85. I'm not sure this is even possible, but food production is only around 10k now. It will be difficult to expand much without adding pop. Maybe I can induce a pop die-off, and recover at a lower level, without impacting food production. If I simply quit building houses, that might do the trick. Currently have 24 houses, with two more fake demolished and another 72% complete.

Course, if I can do all that and get 20k, there's probly no reason I can't keep doing it and get 40k  ;D

Logs and firewood don't seem to be a problem for now, producing ~500 logs, using ~270 logs to produce ~800 firewood. Producing ~35-40 stone at the quarry with 10 stonecutters.

I'm growing doubtful that I will actually be able to get the isolationist achievement.

irrelevant

Year 20 - pop 88

The big problem I'm having now is a local one, a byproduct of having no markets. There is not enough food on the west end of town. Most of the food production is on the east side, and consumption is skewed to the west. I have resorted to fake-demos near the quarry. I have to have them someplace, but this is making it harder to accumulate stone.

The barns are filling up, from east to west. I figure I'll let them fill up, and as new ones are required, I'll build them on the west end. It's so inefficient having the laborers pick up the food produced by the gatherers on the east side and carry it to the west, but it seems to be what is called for here.

Turns out, that was not such a good spot for the quarry. :-\

irrelevant

Year 25 - pop 83

Very intense micro of new construction, fake-demos, and family creation.

Food on its way up to 25k, maybe I can push it to 40k after all.

irrelevant

This may be the most interesting and significant thing I have learned in some time.

I have been using the fake-demo houses near the quarry to create couples, and then to relocate the ones capable of child-bearing to the new village across the river. I un-demo'd a house and a new couple was created. I then re-demo'd the house, knowing that this couple would get the next house that opened up. In no hurry to build another house, I unpaused and let the game run.

In a couple of months, I noticed that I now had three homeless bannies rather than just two. I looked at them and saw that the third one was age 0.

The couple with no home had a child. Before this I had assumed that this was not possible, that having a house was a necessary condition.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on November 15, 2015, 08:50:52 AM

The couple with no home had a child. Before this I had assumed that this was not possible, that having a house was a necessary condition.

I have seen this, too. As far as I understand it; they need a house to "produce" the child (probably to shy to do it outdoors). If they only have a house one brief moment, the child will be born some month later. If they have a house or not to that time doesn't matter.

But what is your reason to found couples this way anyhow? I can understand that you want to relocate them to the new area. But why this complicated way?

I've been thinking a bit about the 40k food. I have checked it again and I had more than 20 000 food left in my stores as I reached the 300, so it might work with less. My people had tools, so I suppose they produced a bit more than yours, but if you let the population grow as fast as possible from the time they must "eat from the stores", I'm sure you can make it.

irrelevant

@Nilla I want to check out the couple's demographics before I give them a house in the new development. If they will have children, I will put them in the new area (by finishing a nearly-completed house there), which I expect will have plenty of food. If they will not have children, I leave them over by the quarry, which has had problems with food for the past 10 years.

irrelevant

Here's the problem now. I have 31 houses. I will need maybe 80-85 to get pop 300. That's another 50-55 houses, 400-440 stone. Plus stone for barns, foresters, gatherers, and choppers. Plus 80(!) more for at least one TP.

I now have 222 stone, with a trickle coming from the quarry. As the pop grows, I can put more workers into the quarry, but it will never make more than ~80/yr or so. There is some surface stone left still, around 210 in easily-accessible areas. In that same area I will need to build two each additional hunters, gatherers, and foresters, that's 72 stone. Plus six more barns to give storage space for 50k food, and four more choppers, that's another 128 stone, 200 total. That would bring annual firewood production up to ~2400, enough to support maybe 40 houses. Ugh (3000 firewood currently in storage).

I could reduce the stone (and firewood!) requirement by building boarding houses instead, but that would add a whole new level of micro. But it would cut the stone requirement by ~150, and the firewood requirement by a huge amount. This could be the way out.

irrelevant

Year 28

35k food. That part is going well, anyway.

Nilla

Yes, clever! Some boardinghouses may be a good idea. You are right; the micromanagement is painful. But in this case you mustn't forget, that you don't have only boarding houses like we had in that challenge. That will probably make it a bit easier.

I agree; the food situation seems to be under control, but I would be worried about the firewood situation, too. Not only that you have to build more choppers. My problem, as I got close to the 300 was logs. I had to manually mark more or less every mature tree I could see, to get enough logs for houses and firewood. 

irrelevant

@Nilla yes, more choppers, working on that now.

The boarding house idea is problematic, such big chunks of real estate that they require! Plus, a BH actually costs more logs and stone than 5 houses. BH is 100 logs, 45 stone; 5 houses are 80 logs, 40 stone.

Between my wife quitting her job and moving back home full time  :) :D, and my job getting more active with year-end approaching, I have far less time for Banished  >:( :(

irrelevant

Year 37 - pop 146

Halfway to Isolationist. Essentially, all I need is 6 BHs full of guys. I think I can do that.

9500 fuel and 52,000 food.

irrelevant

Year 43 - pop 303

Isolationist!

But food is critical at 6334. We'll see what I can do here. Build TPs, trade firewood, leather, and iron for food, but will it be enough, and fast enough?

irrelevant

year 45 - pop 275

Have had considerable starvation, which really isn't such a bad thing. If the pop drops far enough, I can get some trading going and build food back up. Build a town hall so I can see WTF is going on! Then do a pop blitz to 400.

If food (or fuel) gets really ugly I can always fake-demo houses, that would help some.

@Trizeropz  thanks! This is rough!

Nilla

Great! I knew you would make it! Congratulations!

What was the reason for starvation? I know, not enough food, but I mean; Didn't you have enough to sell? Were there not enough boats selling food?

You say you would sell leather, iron and firewood. Why not venison?