News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned- North Mining Town - (or NMT for short) - Story #13

Started by Abandoned, May 12, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@brads3 I take screenshots and notes as I play, usually what is one sometimes two chapters, they go in Banished screenshot folder.  One problem I have is key combo for shots without UI boxes and toolbar, it doesn't always work and I've missed some good pics, so I take a screenshot both ways just in case if I really want a clear picture but don't want to risk losing it.  Next I go through screenshot folder picking pics I want, opening with Paint, rename (tricky step) and save in story folder with the story file and pictures to date.  I have a folder for each story.  I then delete all other screenshots and start again.  Works for me.  :)

RedKetchup

i see the nmt pool do alot of moiré :( the 2 planes are certainly too near each other (plane with texture of murky pool , and the plane that simulate the living water ... i need to fix that)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

@RedKetchup I noticed the lines too, they aren't always too noticeable, sometimes they look like water rings or ripples, not bad.  I did not notice that at all in the pond you made as a separate mod.  It's a beautiful pond either way. :)

Abandoned

Chapter 9

By March of year 10, a house was completed and Wenden, the fisherman moved in leaving the family with twins still in the hostel.  Drucile was about to give birth and did not want to move just yet.  A second floor would be added to Wenden's house for the family when they were ready.  The baby girl, Antha was born in the hostel in April and in July their 2nd floor house was finished.  They moved out of the hostel just in time for the new arrivals, Camil, Hayde, and Selen, to move in.  We thought it was a shame they did not arrive sooner so 11 year old, Selen, could have gone to school. She didn't mind going to work as a laborer and thought it was fun gathering building materials for the stone house being build by the pond for her family.

Myrone completed his education and began working as the smelter at the bloomery but stopped work to help deliver building supplies also.  The lighthouse was finally finished in September.  It was an impressive looking building indeed.  With the remaining building projects close to home, the blacksmith and tailor could now return to their jobs.  The crops would be harvested soon and the farmers could take their places as temporary laborers.  The barley farmer was the only farmer who had not returned to his field soon enough in spring for a full harvest but the lost grain was only a minimal amount.

The trading post was finally finished in November, 800 seedlings would be transferred to the facility in anticipation of a river boat arriving.  The stone house by the pond was also finished and Selen rested from her labors long enough to help keep the younger town children occupied by building snowmen with them.  The building of a viking storage vault had begun and was completed way before year's end.

Nilla

You do remember, that goods have different trade value in the North. Things that normally are good to trade away, aren't here, while others, normally not suitable to trade away, are very good. It might be a good idea to check trade values and what you have/can produce in surplus. A small tip; If you have some unused forest land; build a trapper and sell the fur (not fur coats). And try to get coins, barter trade is always less profitable. But not every merchant pays a higher price for everything. It's always a good idea to have various goods to trade away.

Abandoned

@Nilla thank you, but yes, I remember all that and it is noted and comparisons made in the next 2 chapters.  Trapper is also being considered.  Does poor trapped animal also provide food or just his fur coat?  :(

Abandoned

Chapter 10

Our North Mining Town had certainly grown and expanded in 10 years time and there was plenty of room for more to the southeast, the west, and to the north.  The lighthouse was as far northeast as we could go.  In January, Hendel, now a builder, thought there should be an arrow signpost build by the lighthouse in case any weary travelers came over the mountains there.  He would also relight the signal fire.  It was a considerable distance and I worried about him going there alone in January, the middle of winter. 

Hendel returned sooner than expected.  He re-lit the signal fire, there was always plenty of firewood laying around under the trees, and he had just finished erecting a small wooden signpost pointing to NMT when he spotted a riverboat.  He waved to the boatman and took off running back to town, he arrived back weeks before Izeth the food merchant arrived at our dock in February.

Izeth had many of the foods we were already producing and our food supply was good so there was nothing we needed.  We did notice he had butter, salt, nuts, and butchered meats.  He said he only had small homesteads on his route so far, they either needed food or they needed coats or tools, so there was a good market for those items.  If our seedlings were mostly fruit tree seedlings they would also be a good trade item.  He confirmed what we already knew, the river and the climate were changing, and there were a lot of people on the move.  And yes, there were many forks in the river, both upstream and down.  That would explain why he was able to return so soon come July.

By then we had 3 more new residents in the hostel, and an apothecary built. When Hendel returned from the lighthouse, I noticed he was not in the best of health and neither were many other citizens.  Like us there were few if any herbs in their pantries.  We took to the woods on each side of town to collect some but there weren't too many to be found.  A very attractive looking apothecary was built south of town and it was immediately a very popular place to visit.

The last projects of year 11 were a jade quarry and a bridge over the river to the north.  The mountain range there was close enough yet far enough from town to be a good mining site.  But since bits of green stone were found in the soil when constructing the new houses in the area behind the orchard, we dug a quarry there and thought the jade would be a good trade item.  We moved our surplus iron ore to the trading post along with some bloom, rough gemstones, and the jade just to find out their trade value when the next merchant would come to call. 

We got good information on trade values when Ewel the export merchant arrived that winter. There were some buyers for precious minerals and gems downriver, none up here in the north as we could see by his inventory. He said there was actually a Mountain Mines town some distance southeast of Smallville that was doing quite well producing and selling statues and jewelry.  What was amazing was that town had been founded by a group of children from the north some years ago.  We found the merchants information interesting and helpful.  We realized that values may vary depending on the merchant, but we could also see that tool making was the way to go.  We were sorry he had no dalers or pennings for trade, we would need those coins if we hoped to trade for seeds or livestock in the future.   

brads3

thanks a lot ABANDONED. i caught that 1st line. i know my fort grows slow since i can't expand far.it aint my fault BT changed the soil quality. i doubt even he knows how he did that. i have a method and reason to my madness.
   glad you like the NMT buildings. they are quite handy. the medical center i used all the time for a long time.those traders up north do make the game more interesting with the price changing.

Abandoned

@brads3 sorry, but that first line is in no way a reference to your town growth or lack of.  It's an explanation of the first 2 overview pictures of this chapter.  The first line and pictures are a response to Tom Sawyers comment on the previous page of this thread.  I think your town is doing quite well considering the difficult map.  (na na, my education rate is higher than yours LOL)

I do like Red's NMT buildings, especially with the shadows and angle of the sun up here in the North. More trade values in the next chapter, traders come more often with just the one trading post. :)

Nilla

No meat from the trapper, but you can buy a lot food for the fur.

Here we see the trouble playing the Precious mod with the North. To me the export merchants only bring daler and pennig (unless some "high" CC merchants got lost and arrived to my place) I´m pretty sure you don´t want to buy anything of that junk ( @Tom Sawyer´words ;)  ), that your export merchant bring (or maybe you can buy some raw material and process it with profit).

Abandoned

@Nilla trapper is in the next chapter with no meat  :( don't like trapper but cabin is cute. Had to try it though while here in the North and my trapper says same thing about buying lots of food with furs.   Actually my precious jewelry and statues are quite profitable and it might pay off to buy parts of the production chain and certainly would have no problem getting parts from export merchant that is for sure.  At least the merchants are showing up pretty often and lucky for me no sign of a cc one.   ;D  Going to try the Blast Furnace Mod, added it to map.  Is that candle you have to have to build that big mine?  I have not seen the merchants bringing any.  No rush though, won't need for a while.  :)

brads3

leave it to her,she always gets good traders. i think she pays them or  ummm something.too bad though you people up north can't use the coffee or build a drying shed to smoke the tobacco.it is funny they went way up there though. i think DS sent them.
  yeah yeah, i do think my education level bothers my hunters. that still doesn't explain my crops though. i will check it on more maps then go talk to the wizrard about the soil. it has made things interesting. i think you both cheat anyhow. your grass is too green.must be the sunlight 24 hours a day half the year.

Nilla

The resource merchant sometimes brings a few candles. I bought all they had, but it took some time to get enough for the big mine. But it will take a long time until you really need them. The Nordic mine is nice, so is the small mine from @Discrepancy. You can put more miners, than you need to supply one blast furnace with 10 blacksmiths from one of them. The large mine might be a little faster, but unless you want to be a real big industrial producer, you can do very well without candles. (or if you play a long time, it might be nice to upgrade the empty small mine with candles)

Yes @brads3; don't you know the green Nordic grass! You ought to visit the midnight sun. :)

Abandoned

@Nilla thanks for info, I will keep an eye out for those candles.  I will start small with the mining and see how it goes.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 11

We had a special town hall meeting shortly after the export merchant left.  We thought it a good idea to build a gem smith to polish our small stash of rough gemstone to increase their value.  A worker would only be needed in winter, not year round at this point.  What was needed was more housing; there were several young adults still living at home with their parents who wanted to marry and start families of their own.  A 2nd story and another house would be built by the quarry, another stone house by the pond, and single family house across from the apothecary.

The main topic of discussion was expanding into mining and tool making. Would we have enough workers for such an operation?   A large mining development across the river to the north would seriously limit future food production which would be needed as our population continued to grow.  Would the remaining land across the river to the west be enough for added crops and livestock?  We could of course increase the number of hunters, fisherman, and gatherers as our population grew and there was always trade.  Thanks to our lighthouse, more riverboats were finding their way to our port.  Milbur, one of the last nomads to arrive, pointed out the fact that we did not find out the trade value for the various types of coats our tailor was producing.  He was a trapper by trade and said we might want to consider furs for coats or trade goods.  I said I would rather go naked than have an animal killed just for its fur coat, Hendel said "okay, everyone close your eyes."  Milbur said he could make traps that were quick and painless and we should get some idea of the output of furs in this area and their trade values, in case we desperately needed to trade for food.

As suggested, we moved an assortment of textiles to the trading post and when Ewel the export merchant returned in July we discovered our reindeer parkas had a trade value of 36, the winter coats 48, and Nordic wool coats were worth 56.  Hmm, as good if not better than tools, but our men were dwarves and dwarves mined and made tools.  So that is what we will do.

It was also pointed out at the meeting that we were in need of stone and as yet had done nothing about restoring the 2 strange stone foundations we had discovered.  We certainly had a lot to do.  We collected stone, built a fishing pier, and laid the foundation for a hunting lodge by the quarry.  Xzavie the stonecutter said the reindeer herds were out of control, he even had to chase some out of the quarry.  A trapper cabin and gatherer's hut were being built southeast of town along with 2 Izbas.  A second story was built above the house by the apothecary and there was still more to do.