Author Topic: Help a newbie!  (Read 88 times)

Offline jesta030

• Newb
Help a newbie!
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/5376_21_01_17_11_49_47.png
Help a newbie!

So this is my First shot at modding and I have a couples questions:

The toolbar Icon is empty, any ideas why?

Whats a decent amount of verts/polys for a simple house?

Can I assign different Materials and textures in blender or is the Single image at 1024x1024 the only way to Texture the House? Can I use a bigger image (eg. 2048x2048)?

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Trader
Re: Help a newbie!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:32:22 AM »
Hi Jesta! What a nice farmhouse. Looks like original from northern Germany.^^

The vanilla houses have round about 1 - 1.5 k vertices on 4 x 4 game tiles. My cottages have 2 - 3 k and I could not notice a relevant influence on the game performance in my tests. Trees and crops make much more problems. A texture with 1024 should be enough for a normal building but you can use 2048 too. It can make sense to combine textures of more buildings or variants in one file. I think it is also possible to assign more than one material but I don't use it. Try to keep the textures small. They increase your mod size a lot and are using memory in game. I use 128 pix per game tile for good detail and efficient file size.

The toolbar icon needs a correct link from the template to the sprite sheet.

Online RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:06:15 AM »
personally, i prefer to assign different material to different pieces instead of mapping to 1 big file. yes for a model, it makes more bytes than one 1024 but it gives a  better resolution per texture. and if happends to reuse the same textures for many parts, and for many models, you in fact save space overall because you are reusing many times the same textures
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Offline jesta030

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:40:49 AM »
Looks like original from northern Germany.

Good eye. Its the house I grew up in from north east germany. If i get the hang of this thing i'm loking into making a whole range of thatched roof houses.

The vanilla houses have round about 1 - 1.5 k vertices on 4 x 4 game tiles. My cottages have 2 - 3 k and I could not notice a relevant influence on the game performance in my tests.

Good Lord! Break out the beveling tools, we're going full ham on this bad boy. The model i'm using has 107 verts, 109 faces.

The toolbar icon needs a correct link from the template to the sprite sheet.

Yeah the guide by discrepancy i used was a bit vague on what to do with the icon. guess i'll have to figure it out. had some errors building but just ignored them as it was late at night. maybe i'll look into them some more and it'll fix the toolbar icon issue.

personally, i prefer to assign different material to different pieces instead of mapping to 1 big file. yes for a model, it makes more bytes than one 1024 but it gives a  better resolution per texture. and if happends to reuse the same textures for many parts, and for many models, you in fact save space overall because you are reusing many times the same textures

and how would i go about doing this? how does banished know which textures are linked to what part of the mesh? any tutorials out there?
i guess i could use a couple 128x128 or 256x256 textures to get more detail while keeping the size down.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!

Online RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 04:41:59 AM »
each texture need his .rsc and Texture.rsc like you do for your big 1024x1024.

how you apply it to your model i dont know, i dont use blender (i use 3dsMax)
but some do
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Online kid1293

• Architect
  • Never confuse movement with progress
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:33:37 AM »

Hi and welcome!
In Blender you first create a new material slot with the 'plus-sign'(1)
name it and assign texture to it.
In edit mode you select your faces and click on the material slot
you want to use and 'Assign' (2)
Then you unwrap as usual having only the faces you want selected.

You must write a set of files for each texture you use. (as RedKetchup wrote)

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:45:32 AM »
A range of houses in this original style would be nice. As far as I know we don't have it in Banished.

The vert count of about 100 I can't believe. At least I guess you will increase it fast when continue with creating models.^^

And hard to say what concept is more efficient. With a single texture the efficiency comes by overlay in the uv map to use the same part for several faces. And when making an individual look or weathering effects at walls and so on, you come in trouble with shared files. Probably both have their advantages. I made a little making of too. Maybe there are some interesting points but I think Discrepancy's Blender guide is more useful for modders.

To help with your toolbar icon issue it would be better to see the code. And of course the vanilla resource files in the modkit are a good reference to check how it works.