News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Plantation style layouts

Started by QueryEverything, January 04, 2017, 08:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

Hi there, a couple of weeks back someone posts shots of their Plantation style setup and they were using the windmill etc.  I can't find the posts, they were a reply to another thread, and 'search' doesn't show up "plantation" results that are what I'm oooking for.

So, in short, can those of you who have designed plantation style landscapes please post yours, or can you please link me to any that you know of :D

In the meantime I'll keep looking in the threads. 
If it helps, it was a 10x10 crop as the starting point. :D

Please show us your art :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

QueryEverything

Found the initial inspiration post, for some reason the search didn't show it, but I went through my 'post history'.
The plantations were by @Nominix :)

So, who else has designed plantations, and what was your inspiration?  Would you care to show us (me) please?

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1303.msg24978#msg24978

[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Nominix

Here are a couple more you might use based on what your trying to achieve. Im using this layout specifically to see how big a town I can make without having to trade for food, so i am cramming everything I can inside the cells. Its a 40 x 40 layout which works with 10 x 10 crop / orchard tiles as well as 10 x 20 animal pens. I leave the center open and make little mini towns inside them. 4 to 6 houses just depends, Small midievil barns on each side of the houses, small town market, small town blacksmith, small town tailor, Mini hospital and as many beekeepers as I can cram in there. In the case of animal pens I am substituting 8 beekeepers for 4 butchers. The cells are not pretty and not supposed to be. I have set these up to be efficient. That being said, one can easily set these up to be more aesthetically pleasing.

You could add in roads, fences, water pumps, windmills, hedges, trees and all the other goodies to have quite a nice area and it should still be pretty efficient. I would also suggest going 4 wide on roads surrounding the outermost part of the cell so it doesnt look so crowded and you can easily see the roadside decorations that you may place.

Once I finish seeing how far I can go Ill do another town based on this cell layout but pretty it up to look more like suburbs surrounding a central downtown. The downtown will have all the churches, upgraded housing, commercial industries (bakers, markets, dairys, ect ect) closest in to the cells then cram the center with upgraded housing and really nice statues parks ect ect.

Hope it gives you some food for thought.

Cheers Nomi

Nominix

Finally getting around to doing something more aesthetic with the cell setups. Its a first run but coming out nicely I think. Still needs some work but it should contrast nicely with the previous pics I posted. Cell based layouts get pretty structured and id ideally like to find a way to keep the cell layout but make it look more organic without loosing efficiency.

RedKetchup

wow , that looks awesome !!!!!!!!!  ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nominix

TY :). Its coming along, still a lot of work to do on it and need to do another with pens. Im still watching the orchard rows to make sure they produce at least enough to feed the person working them and so far it seems that they are. the 1 x 17's are close, but the 1 x 25's are producing quite well, even using rough tools.

QueryEverything

@Nominix they look amazing!
What are the field sizes for the wheat in Cell image 2?  Also, what are the small little buildings/decorations?? opposite the white tiny hospital?  I can't make out the small items. 
Is it the Tiny Market at the cross roads?  Then the tiny hospital, but what is the one with the barrels?  I see the tailor & the storage barns (small).
The trees around the buildings, are they 1xX orchards?  That's pretty cool idea, looks fabulous, rather than just putting in decorations.!!

Well done, love these inspiration ideas :D  I need to set a new map up and do a series of "cells", I call outposts with different mods & inspirations.  :D

Nominix

OK, maybe its best to just attach a pic with sizes as there is a lot going on. Inside the marketplace I use the small town tailor, blacksmith, and market.(all small town) I also have an urban forester stuck in there to keep the open spaces filled with trees. There is a mini hospital as well. So all cells will have the hospital, tailor, smith and market and urban forester. This keeps them pretty much efficient and healthy. If your running disasters then throw in a well or two and you should be good.

There are no decorations used other than the fences on the outer edge. All trees are wild (town center) or orchard 1by x (concentric rings).

Its a bit crowded on the image with all the sizes labeled but hopefully not too bad.

One thing I forgot to label were the barns -one in each corner of the housing ring and 4 i think inside the town center - Small midievil barns. RK's storage stuff.

I think I got everything on that cell,but let me know If you cant see something and ill pop it open and take a look again. I typically switch out items in the town center depending on what that particular cell is focused on - if anything. So you can just put whatever you like in them and it should all be good.

I am currently playing with the housing ring by removing several houses and adding a domesticated animal pen beside each house. So far it works really well.

A couple other notes of interest -  My game at least, seems not to like the long orchards - particularly if you do like a 3 x 30 (max length) so you can get 2 rows of trees. I have had several games now get really buggy after doing those. Its a pretty consistent bug that always happens after the first harvest of a 3x30.

There is also a curious thing I have just noticed and its that the workers will harvest the 1by's but leave the crates full of fruit on the ground till spring before they pick them up. I do not experience this with more normal layouts of orchards. Doesnt seem to bug the game or anything, just an odd behavior that I only notice using the 1 wide orchards.

One last bit of a comment is that the cell based layout lends itself well to pyramid style building with the terraforming tools. Starting with fields in the outer ring then raising one level everytime you build something. Could also do a bit of terracing with it following the contours of the mountains.

Cheers

QueryEverything

Wow!!  Thank you :)  They are little mead brewers, the ones I was curious about!
I love the key, thank you so much, I appreciate you doing this @Nominix it's given me a little fun to play about with.