Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 8101 times)

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
World of Warcraft
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »
It seems we have a few members at least who still play WoW, as well as some more who used to at one time or another. I always find it fun to hear about peoples' mains and favorite toons and classes. What brought them to the game, what they enjoy/ed about it, and what keeps them playing or caused them to leave.

It would be great to hear other people's experiences and stories of the game! 

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:36:54 AM »
I've played WoW since christmas 2005, about half a year after it was introduced in Europe. I bought the game for my wife two days before christmas, not being slightly interested myself. She played all night and I watched all night, and at 9 am the next morning I was the first customer of the day in the local games shop and bought my own copy. The server we played on was a new one for christmas, so it was full with low level, over-enthousiastic, new players, which was much fun.

My wife created a night elf druid and I created a dwarf paladin, but because we wanted to play together, I walked my level 5 paladin all the way to Darnassus. The boat was going from Menethil those days, so it involved walking through level 20 area. I've seen more graveyards that one walk then the first 20 levels after that.

My current main was made about 2 months later, another dwarf paladin, named Kaldir. He's always been holy, because I like it most. I really dislike retri (might as well play a warrior then :D ) and tried prot a couple of times, but always went back to holy. He even leveled holy, although often with my wife's druid or mage. That char is nearing a /played time of 300 days I think.

My most epic battle was at level 40 I think, fresh in plate armor, killing a huge drake in the Badlands that was 5 levels higher. Back then when a creature had a red level tag, it really meant you shouldn't try it. But I wanted to test the theory that a holy paladin didn't die easily. That fight lasted for more than 20 minutes (I used my Lay on Hands twice), because a holy paladin really doesn't do much damage. But because I didn't take much damage either and could mitigate it, I could leave the fight alone for a minute now and then to make tea and lunch. Sadly the loot was only some grey item.

Edit: link to my main - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/khadgar/kaldir/advanced
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:28:54 AM by Kaldir »

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
haha nice Kaldir :)

bah me i started as a dwarf priest for many years, now i play hunter since ... 3 years :)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/windrunner/Redketchup/advanced
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:34:42 AM »
I experienced WoW only as a detriment to my online NWN characters, and as a bad example for an online virtual life community owner.  I did play Orc vs Humans, when it was an offline game.  It was too much about war, for me.

In the second online NWN world in which I played for any great length of time, my main character lost her husband when his Finnish player got WoW for Christmas.   I believe that my character's husband's player thought I should have shelved my character until he got tired of WoW, but that wasn't going to happen.  She was an important figure in the world and shelving her would have been the end of her in any practical sense.  I'm pretty sure he didn't understand that aspect of her life.  I know his character didn't.  She also lost her partner on the beat (they were magistrates), when his player migrated to WoW.  That player said WoW was nothing but killing stuff and leveling, but at least no one pretended otherwise.  I was sad when he said that, because I did role-play my NWN characters, but I understood because many did not.  Things got rather sordid and nasty for her after those two left, because she married the character of someone who was more about head-games with other players than about telling stories with the characters, but she continued nobly on until the player of the regent she served also left.  At that point she faded into the Shadow Realm and was resurrected on another server, and stayed single. 

I did however play her daughter on the server where she was resurrected.  The daughter got married, lived fairly happily, and had twins.  At that point, she and her family (including her mother) moved to yet another server, on which they lived peacefully until I had my own server running.  In the end, all of my characters, minor and major, ended up living on my own world.  Running a world was a lot of work, but it was also a lot of fun.  I ran that world for a little over two years, by which time the rest of the players had either gotten a promotion and didn't have time to play because they had greater responsibilities, gotten their work shift changed and didn't have time to play because they were working during game times, gotten fired and didn't have time to play because they were looking for work, or suddenly realized they had exams to pass so they could graduate college start looking for work.  Darn work, anyway.   ;D

The bad example WoW set for the owner of a virtual pet community was that he decided that if WoW made it's creators rich, then his game could make him rich if he only could attract the same gaming community.  Thus he introduced both crafting and combat into a very peaceful and laid back group of virtual pet game players.  Some of us took to crafting like a house afire, which was very bad for the game's economy, as it always was in NWN.  The difference was that no one was trying to make money from NWN worlds.  Hardly anyone took to the combat, because they just weren't that kind of people.  I mean, think about people who want to play with virtual cats and dogs, building homes for them and dressing them up.  Are those the kind of people who want to pay cash to buy swords and then use them to fight?  Many of them didn't even like the crafting, and that made free things.  The owner ended up killing off the world entirely, trying to make money from the crafting by strangling it until it died, and then even destroying the value of items for which we had paid cash.  He fired all of his staff and ran the server in his apartment for awhile, and then shut it down.  Last time I heard of him, he had just been fired from a Facebook game company.  The moral of the story is probably that there is only one WoW.

If I hadn't had NWN in which to play online, I might have tried WoW regardless of the warlike aspects of Orcs vs Humans.  I feel lucky in that sense, no offense intended to the players of WoW.   :)

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:27:34 AM »
The moral of the story is probably that there is only one WoW.

There are too many companies, big and small, that tried to imitate WoW. Most have failed. It takes at least some creativity and originality to make something attractive.

If I hadn't had NWN in which to play online, I might have tried WoW regardless of the warlike aspects of Orcs vs Humans.  I feel lucky in that sense, no offense intended to the players of WoW.   :)

None taken here. :)   WoW was fun for many (including me), but it certainly would not fit anyone. No game would.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
@Kaldir  First Grats on the Raiding with Leashes achieve! That is one I want (well, I want the pets), I fail at grinding stuff though. My husband and I started similarly to you and your wife! I also have fond memories of fighting drakes in the Badlands with my husband, as well as Swamp of Sorrows. I have also made the run through the Wetlands! From Teldrassil to Ironforge (usually), on so many toons early on (all my alliance toons) that by the end, I knew exactly where every crockilisk, murloc,  raptor, orc, and spider was along the the path in the wetlands. I agree, so many deaths! But I really do have fond memories of those runs and at level 10, I make all my horde hunters make that run (from nostalgia) and tame certain pets along the way.

I can sympathize with you over leveling as a holy pally. My husband and I leveled much of our mains in classic with my best friend who played a holy pally and I remember how painfully slow it was for him leveling on his own (until plaguelands, anyway :D)

I see you have been doing some pet battling/collecting, what do you think of this aspect of the game? Over the years, what has been your favorite parts of playing WoW? Is it different from what you enjoy doing in game now?

@RedKetchup  I also play a survival hunter. I started out as a terribad SV melee hunter. Until my then, teenaged son, took me aside and explained that just because I was SV didn't I should not use a gun/bow. After that early experience, I leveled and played as Marksman until we got to Arthas in ICC in Wrath. Had to switch for that fight to SV (for utility) and I never ended up switching back. I did try MM again in Cata but I did not like how it felt then. I briefly played as BM in BC because I was told any good hunter was playing BM then but it was too boring to play, so I went back to MM. Have never had a desire to play as Beast Mastery again.

I see that you are working your way through heroic Siege now, impressive! My guild only does normal, though because of a shortage of raiders this expansion, we had to start out with flex. What do you think of the new difficulty levels? Does heroic feel mythic? What have you thought of the raids so far this expansion? What has been your favorite one so far? Least favorite boss?

Oh yeah, nice work on the Insane title! That is a huge amount of work and time!

ETA: I'll post more about my own experiences later as I am out-of-time now. Thank you both for sharing your experiences! I hope you will share more! I love hearing how different people experience the same games. What we love/hate about it may be completely different then what someone else loves/hates about it.

My main:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skywall/Kryselyn/advanced

p.s. I mistakenly applied the wrong transmog to my pants, I have better fashion sense then that. ;p  And the Paragons keep resetting my title to GoC, not sure why?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:34:34 PM by mariesalias »

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
@slink  I am sorry WoW took so many of your gaming friends away from NWN! It does sound like you had a lot of fun in your games though! I used to try RPing on WoW RP servers (ones that actually did RP, but I am too shy or self-conscious I think. I get embarassed! I used to love RPing with DnD though, so I am not sure why it is different for me online. 

No offfense taken, every game is not for everyone. :) I like hearing about your NVN experiences. It is always interesting and fun to hear/read others stories about the games they love!

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 02:25:10 PM »
I don't know how I would feel RPing with my husband in the game with me.  It would probably feel weird, especially with him sitting right next to me.  It was strange sometimes playing with other couples, when the husbands and wives were evidently communicating out-of-character in real-life.  The rest of us were rather obviously only hearing half of their conversations, at best.  One of the keys to RP for me is to forget the people behind the other characters.  I don't mean forgetting that there are real people behind the characters.  That would be cruel.  I just don't think about who the other players are, and what they are like, while I am being my character.  That would be very difficult to do with the players in the same room with me.  In some very special cases, I did develop friendships with other players, and we sometimes commented to each other on the private channel just as if we were only observers and not the motivating forces behind our characters.  It did detract from the RP immersion, though, if we did that too much.

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »
@Kaldir  First Grats on the Raiding with Leashes achieve! That is one I want (well, I want the pets), I fail at grinding stuff though.

Thanks. Droprate on that one isn't too bad. Thankfully, since I really dislike Naxx, and can't solo BWL (not enough dps for that first/second boss  :-[ ). Did this mostly with my wife though. I've done Molten Core plenty and had many pets drop, while gathering my transmog set.

I can sympathize with you over leveling as a holy pally. My husband and I leveled much of our mains in classic with my best friend who played a holy pally and I remember how painfully slow it was for him leveling on his own (until plaguelands, anyway :D )

Hehe, plaguelands were heaven (uhm, sort of) indeed, together with Stratholme and Scholomance. I leveled a lot with my wife though, which made it much faster. I don't mind the slow though. There is a lot in WoW that is too fast for me anyway.

I see you have been doing some pet battling/collecting, what do you think of this aspect of the game?

The collecting was partially done over the years, and is a cool aspect of the game in my opinion. The pet battles were done by my wife. I find them pretty boring myself.

@RedKetchup  [..] Oh yeah, nice work on the Insane title! That is a huge amount of work and time!

Congrats indeed, @RedKetchup. That one is named very appropriately for the work it involves.

Over the years, what has been your favorite parts of playing WoW? Is it different from what you enjoy doing in game now?

(Warning: long answer  ;D )

Well, I really don't like raiding. I've occasionally joined with a really relaxed guild with several of my friends in it, but it just doesn't work for me. Always waiting for someone in the group (okay, that might have been because they were too relaxed), and when it finally starts, too much chaos and too fast for me to decently respond. And voicechat really doesn't work for me. And too much trying the same boss over and over again. When I'm healing a large group, all I see is health bars and not much else. Tanking is even worse for me, as you are supposed to know the fight and you have absolutely no overview standing on top (more like, right under) a boss. And the loot is nice, but it's just numbers and doesn't interest me that much.
My first ever raid was UBRS (when it was still 10 man), and it felt like complete chaos. After that, I've done Molten Core, Zul'Gurub (the original) and AQ20/40. It was okay to do once in a while, and nice to see instances I could never enter/survive on my own, but it never did much for me.

I've enjoyed battlegrounds now and then, but am too slow for them. Arena is even worse. Good thing about a holy paladin though is that you don't die quickly, and you can heal from a fair distance. But all in all, it's too fast and chaotic for me.

Doing stuff beyond the standard (raiding, bg's, leveling) was often the most fun. I've done guild races (who is the first from Booty to Ironforge, over land). Guild parties on one of the high up lakes in Terokkar. Or just sitting at Loch Modan talking to a friend, bringing lots of wood and renewing the camp fire every 5(?) minutes. I truely loved the huge world, waiting to be explored. Just walking around, doing quest here and there. My server is a pretty decent, easy going one, without much verbal abuse (relatively), making it a relaxed atmosphere. I've more than once referred to WoW as being a graphical instant messenger client.
The European servers have a lot of nationalities on them (just no french and german, as they have their own servers), and it's nice to talk to people from different cultures. I always tried to hide the fact that I'm Dutch though, as Dutch tend to be vocal and blunt, especially in groups.

When TBC went live, the starting area was so crowded it wasn't fun anymore. Fifteen people fighting over the same boar. So when WotLK went live, my wife and I decided to skip both starting area's and do the Explore Nothrend achievement first. At level 70 we walked through all the areas of Northrend, helped a lot by my holy build (bubbles!). We ran into trouble in Storm Peaks, with only a small area reachable without flying or questing. We jumped into the water in Zul'Drak and swam all the way to the north part of Stormpeaks and died there from drowning (or eaten by sharks, I don't remember). Ressing on the graveyard worked to get further. We did some more strategic dying and ressing to get the whole map. It was pretty fun to have the explorer title at level 70, and after that it was slightly less crowded in Howling Fjord.

I'm a completionist (and my wife even more), but it has to compete with my dislike of grinding. Achievements were a good new feature for me, always giving you something weird or impossible to do. I also like the professions (Blacksmithing and Enchanting on this one), especially the secondaries. I did a lot of archaeology and really loved what they did with cooking and farming in Pandaria. We're also hoarders, and can probably craft almost anything pre-Panda with mats from one of my four bank alts, without having to buy anything.

As much as I dislike raiding and full group instancing, I did a lot of them with just my wife. She as bear tank, me as holy, doing instances and raids as well as we could. That way we could take our time (and needed to with our lack of dps). It also helps that our computers are next to each other on the same table. It's a relaxed way of stressing over not killing fast enough or not knowing the tactics. We've duo'd almost all instances and raids from vanilla to Northrend, except ICC which was too depressing to our taste, all Cata instances and several Panda instances.

Kudo's if you read it all up to here. :)   More than eight years of playing WoW makes for good memories. It was also a very good, and often only, way to relax when I had a burnout several years ago and was home for months. The last two years I play on and off, often disabling my account for some months and picking it up again later. My account is disabled now too, but we did pre-order the next expansion.

Offline ertira

• Laborer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
 Started playing Warcraft in November of 2007. Was considering retirement and wanted to find a hobby that I could throw myself into. I have a lot of hobbies.  :D Gardening, plants, reading, music, backpacking etc... but wanted to return to computers in a limited way. Not professionally. After 28 years in the dinosaur age of computers did not even touch one for about 8 years. Spent a little over a year studying the various games out there using the local library. Chose Warcraft for the diversity and never looked backed. Had to buy a computer to play it. Lol. Still using it.

Have 44 characters and counting. All Horde. My Main is a Retribution Paladin. I am a solo player and gave up raiding in the Cata xpac. I currently have 6 guilds, 5 used for storage and 1 main guild I am leveling to 25. Need 4 bars. I am a major grinder. I have 6 level 90's and 5 level 88's or higher. The rest are poised between 1 and 40 :). I have 2 accounts and utilize 2 servers that have combined, Leveling the guild to 25 as a solo player is my major current challenge. I enjoy leveling my toons very much. My next challenge is the Stay Classy Achievement with 1 90 or 85 of each race and class. I need another realm merge or a new account to accomplish this so have been putting it off. Hence the toons froze at mid 30's and 40's.

My main "Ertirawen" is the achiever for my team of Ertiras. I approach Warcraft as a team composed of different individuals. Only thing is all the members are of my accounts. Every spoke in the wheel contributes to the overall welfare.

I have 1 of each crafting profession at least but really enjoy boring old gathering. I have way to much stuff in my guilds as once a packrat always a packrat. :). Many things as a solo player are out of reach due to my not liking the raiding scene as it currently sits. I dislike epeens, afk'ers, moaners and complainers. Being told how to spec, how to gear, where to stand and when to be there irks me. I find the general raiding scene to be too caught up in not failing which is a shame as not being able to laugh at your deaths took a lot of fun out of it.  I do my thing. If you gank my babies, I hunt you down. :) So if playing and you gank one of toons I first walk up to your your face, do a /lol, /slap then attack, When dead, I log onto a hunter/killer. Go to the zone, Do a /lol, /slap, attack and /spit on your dead carcass. Then I sit down and wait for your next lesson. LoL. Having multiple friends as GM's of competitive  raiding and PvP oriented guilds has been very rewarding. Especially if they call out for friends. Dying and I in Warcraft are very good friends. Best death was in Hellfire/Outlands. Was so caught up in getting to a vein of ore rode off the end of the world. Horses tail was sticking straight up, and we were both screaming. Oh my. A long way down in Outlands.  ::)

All my toons have  to reach exalted with the Kah'luak (spelling?) because I really like the pole. LoL. I normally level the newbies in Ghostlands regardless of race. I have leveled each horde zone but prefer Ghostlands. Caught 10k fish from pools which was fun. 1 fishie at a time. Oh well I do like like grinding. Only reason I will roll an Alliance character will be for the mounts. Will get me over 200+ then. I do have many friends that play Alliance and we keep in touch and often play together which is unique in its way.

I will be somewhat saddened with the Warlords release as they are further making the game easier and easier, catering to the I Want it Now Crowd. I view crafting professions to be a waste come the new release, changes to specs and classes are not to my liking. All my classes/specs are DPS oriented. No tanks no healers. Do not dual spec. Am not into transmogging nor pet battles. I kill, gather, search and generally have a blast.
 Will probably return to Civ 5 and play some new stuff that has caught my eye. Will continue to play WoW but only as a sometime instead of every day.

Oh well, so much like Banished. So many different ways to play.

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »
Sounds like you're having fun with it, @ertira:)

With that amount of grinding and a free choice in what class to take with you, there is a lot you can achieve on your own. If your computer could handle it, which I doubt with one from 2007, you could log in a second char to help you on auto attack (hunter for instance) and as cannon fodder. My wife and I do that sometimes, especially when I only had a holy paladin and we really needed some more dps. And with 3 accounts, we could do guild scenario's.

My wife also has two accounts, and our guild (just one) is just the two of us with one active alt from a friend of ours and a few from some friends who quit a while back. We (read: my wife) got our guild to level 25 some time ago.
I myself never did much alting. I tried it now and then, but never got above level 40. Until a while back, when I got two free level 90 upgrades, one from pre-ordering the next expansion, the other from resurrecting my account (I think). I had quite some fun with a shaman and mage, next to my paladin. I die a lot more though!

Oh well, so much like Banished. So many different ways to play.

Definitely!

Offline ertira

• Laborer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »
@Kaldir

Yes it is amazing how much fun can be had playing anything with the correct mindset. :) I just keep adding stuff to the old computer, which is really not old anymore. Works although the last map I played "Sanctuary" taxed it a lot. Even had the game stall about every 10 minutes. Time to add another Graphics card. At least 1.5gb should work, Will keep old card installed and use it for the 2nd screen in WoW, or forum lookups, You Tube for music etc... . Am using an HP as I like the company, no longer interested in the latest stuff, just what works. I think maybe the 2000 people in Sanctuary had something to do with it :) Am using a 23" HP monitor so split screen works well enough to do both accounts at same time. In fact did MoP Beta and normal account at same time.  Love the game a lot. Have a lot of hours in it.

As far as the free 90's. They are on hold. Named a Panderan Monk after my mother. Have a Shammie I want to name after my Dad, so 1 freebie is taken. As for the 2nd one....hmmmm whatever is needed at the time I suppose. Nice thing about being a bachelor. My money. May buy me 90's LoL. Let's see 33 x 60 Hmmmm.  :-\  WindWalker and Enchancement should do well together.  As soon as I start the rush to level will pair up a 90 with a 15 and shoot em up fairly fast. Full BoA gear equipped plus rested experience will help.  Can solo most 70-80 raids, 80's on Normal. Have 6 classes to help them, soon to be 11 as the 88's and higher are within a few days to a week max from 90 plus have Timeless gear ready for them (Timeless is an Altoholics dream and has saved so much time) probably the Monk and Shadow Priest will do well as the escorts. AoE, Heals, Rez ability and face melting should work. Pally would be ok but she has her nose up in the air with more important stuff :) Will start the level grind around September. Priorities though will be a 55 on the other 3 to make a DK and to get my 5 alt guilds back on main account. Altoholic is awesome as an addon but very poor in regards to multiple accounts.

:) Ertira

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
Timeless is a dream for altoholics (or non-raiders) indeed, but a bit of a storage nightmare as well. :D  It's good for disenchanting too, now that it's still useful.

My WoW is frozen right now. After Timeless got boring, I've not played much. I might play a bit now and then before the expansion, or just resurrect myself again when it goes live. :)

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
Reading this thread is an education, let me tell you.  *wide-eyed look*  I can see why WoW is so popular.  Most (all?) other online games I have ever played actually forbade multiple accounts and at the very least unofficially frowned upon personal assistance between players.  There were various ways around those restrictions, of course, but the rules were there.  WoW has obviously faced reality and simply said "If you can afford it, you can do it."  No wonder they have succeeded.  *grin*

Offline Kaldir

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
Always good if a thread is educational, next to entertaining. :D

"Personal assistance between players" is kind of the the basis of an MMO game, I think. Well, that and smashing each others head in, in PvP or verbally on general chat channels.

For other online games it might not be so, especially for the more competitive ones. But WoW is based upon being part of a faction, a guild and other groups, in which working together is key. A strong we-against-them feeling, whether 'them' is other players or npc's.