Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 11296 times)

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 07:25:52 PM »
Of course it is natural for people to help each other, if they are playing on the same side.  That is why it is silly to have rules against it.  When I ran my NWN world, I told people they could do whatever they liked with the stuff they either made or got as loot.  They could transfer it between their own characters or give it to others.  I even provided public persistent chests for the purpose, in case there was no one else on the server to help out.  The only thing they could not do was play evil, or indulge in PvP including stealing from others.  There were plenty of monsters for the purpose of stress relief, some of whom were almost too nasty for words.  There were also the rats and bats kind of battles if you wanted to grind, and XP was handed out for crafting.  There were one or two dungeons specifically for thieves, which were heavy on randomly generated traps and trapped chests.  You could make cash by mining for minerals, and there were stores that sold some pretty good stuff.  The very best crafted things were highly customizable.  Everybody who RPed their characters as a part of the world got their own place for that character, be it a tent or a house.  There were riding horses whose saddlebags accessed private persistent storage.  I created some custom familiars, and I even created on request two new races of Elves with their tribal territories.  It was everything in one server that I had ever liked about servers I had played on, plus my chance to show off.  Such a shame the real world took away my valued players, but good for them, at least for all but the one who got fired.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
I am not ignoring this thread, I just need more time to comment to it then I currently have in one chunk. I am enjoying reading everyone's posts though. :)  I will make one about my own experiences too, soon.

Offline Juliana

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 05:05:58 AM »
Well, I am new here.  I just bought “Banished” in the Steam Summer Sale…I have been having some errr… issues, and stumbled on this site.  My goodness, you all are a FRIENDLY group around here.  That is Oh So VERY nice to see… because, yes, I came from WoW.  Ugh!  Lol  And not ‘Ugh’ at the game per se, as more the community there is just so awful at times. 

Anyhow… I started WoW in August 2006.  The ONLY online games I had ever played were (no laughing here) The Sims Online, Second Life and Club Pogo.  Good grief how nerdy is that?  HA!  A friend from The Sims Online had talked me into getting Diablo 2, which I really just hated.  But it came with a free trial to WoW.  I had heard a LOT of people talking about this game, and I was a little put off by the whole killing / combat thing.  But my kids were at their dad’s for the weekend and I was bored so I said “What the hell….?” 

Oh good lord…that was the end for me… well sorta.  I rolled a mage, human.  Magic!  YES!! Yay!  Started off in Northshire Abbey with NO IDEA what in the world I was doing.  Got propositioned by some naked “chick” in the first 5 minutes.  (I THOUGHT THIS WAS A KILLING GAME??? Sheesh!) 

But then, I got to Goldshire.  Got that quest, to go in that stupid! Dumb! Horrible! Mine! and kill Kabolds.  Ok I had NO idea about that whole silly “agro” thing.  Oh dear, it was bad.  I got killed, repeatedly!  When I would run back to rez, I also was unaware I could rez over in a “safe spot” and just kept rezzing right on top of my corpse… and BAM!!!  Dead again!! 

I was a little frustrated!!  So I logged out, looked over the classes and read that Warriors, wear plate, are hard to kill, take lots of damage.  Ok this maybe is what I need!!  Rerolled a Nightelf Warrior!  I wont say I didn’t die…but it was much LESS often! Haha!  But the leveling thing and trying to figure it all out, I was hooked!!

A couple of days later, I was in Darkshores, on that mountain, about to accept a quest.  Standing in that blue light thing, and some random dude whispered me to group up.  Ok, I guess.  I had grouped for one quest before and then couldn’t figure out how to leave group!! DOH!  But we did a few quests, and a few more… and this guy was SO HELPFUL!!  I thought he was a WoW God!  He wasn’t lol.  When I asked how long he had been playing he said “About 2 weeks, I read the book that came with the game!”

We have been playing WoW together ever since that night!  My online BFF!!  We have leveled so many characters together.  We have raided so many hours together.  Laughed at SO many silly, crazy ways we have found to die together.  We currently are on a break from the game.  His computer is broken, and I am just enjoying other games that are out and around. 

I’ve met quite a few people since then in WoW.  I have some really GREAT friends from the game.  To me, that is what was SO AMAZING about WoW!  It’s a good game, I won’t deny that.  From stepping up to tank Prince in Kara for the first time, scared out of my wits….to tanking Garrosh before we stopped playing (Yes, I kept my warrior, she has been my main ever since that day I created her!), it has been a hell of a ride.  But the friendships I found there, have always been my favorite part of the game! 

Oh and as for my “issues” in Banished…I think I have those figured out, thanks to all of you who take the time to post helpful hints and strats… it HELPS! *hugs to all*

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 09:31:34 AM »
Got propositioned by some naked “chick” in the first 5 minutes.  (I THOUGHT THIS WAS A KILLING GAME??? Sheesh!) 
And I thought there was no RP on WoW servers.  *giggles*

Welcome to the World of Banished forum, Juliana.

slink aka Sandra

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
welcome @Juliana :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
Welcome @Juliana! Sounds like you have had a lot of fun with WoW over the years!

Okay, I've been typing up my beginning in Wow for a few days in notepad (not all at once, I am not that slow!).

WoW, the beginning:

My husband and I could only afford one copy of WoW at release so since my husband wanted it so badly (I did too, just not as much), he officially got the first copy then. I played it on his computer though almost as much as he did. I worked much longer hours so had less time. I finally was able to get my own copy at the beginning of February 2005. My husband started out as a troll rogue and I started out as a troll hunter because he had friends who played on the (PVP) server (Blackrock). I really wanted to play a nightelf so we made alliance toons on another (PVP) server (Archimonde), both nightelves, I a hunter, and he a rogue. I am not huge on fighting games, and by the end of the year, all his gaming friends had gone back to Eve Online so the world PVP was not as fun for him. By that time, I was to the point of hating PVP servers. It is all we had played on but after working 10 hours, coming home to relax and de-stress and then get constantly ganked and corpse-camped was NOT my idea of fun. I had a couple times where the frustration got to the point where I cried. I was ready to quit.

Luckily, we had a friend who played on a PVE server and he encouraged us to roll new toons on Skywall. Sadly for us, he stopped playing a few months later, but we kept playing. After a year of playing on PVP servers, playing on a PVE server was much different...I could actually quest past level 20 without getting ganked constantly! I even started doing battlegrounds for fun and have fond memories of hanging out in Ashenvale with others waiting to be able to enter the battleground (back before it ported you directly). The first toon I made on Skywall was a nightelf hunter, and she has remained my main since then. Her first actual pet was a boar from Westfall and that same boar is still her preferred pet all these years later. My husbans made another NE rogue and that rogue is still his main. We both have a main alt we also play (more in Cata though), mine is a resto shaman, his is a blood DK. As main DPSers, we really wanted to get a feel for the other types of roles, as well. Tanking is a little too stressful for me, and healing is for him. :D

We didn't begin to start raiding until the end of BC. That is also around when we found our current guild. We had always wanted to raid, having been in various guilds over the years, listening to the raiders discuss it in chat so much, but we really had no idea. I was pretty anti-PUG myself as I had some horrible experiences back in Deadmines on my main with players who just had no idea how to play their classes and were not interested in learning. So I swore off it. Our current guild got us back into it though we their 25-man Naxx runs. Once we tasted raiding, that was it for us. We worked our way up from raiding alts for the regular 10-man team until we became part of the main team and I'd say raiding has been the most enjoyable aspect of WoW for us ever since. It is the only thing that will make me grind gear. ;D 

We have never unsubbed in all these years, though we have taken breaks from playing for a month or two at a time occasionally. Not in LK or Cata though. When I was pregnant with my son, I was unable to play much so I spent a couple years dominating parts of the Auction House (a game in itself ;p). Once I could play freely again though, I lost interest in the AH. Mists is the least active we've been in WoW for years. The rep grinding at end-game has been just too tedious for me! This whole expansion I have pretty much played to raid, and our guild got off to a slow start this time around because of lower guild numbers/raiding-ready players/toons. Not enough raiders is still an on-going issue! We may actually have to take a break from raiding as our RL just banned one of the members from any further raids as he has not shown up to two raids now nor contacted anyone prior to the raids. :(

Offline Sup3rvillain

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
WoW was the second MMO i played (Prior to Tibia) and it's still my favorite despite no longer playing it.

Started playing a warrior first when BC was first released, big mistake.

Eventually hit 70 after like 4-5 months, i hated leveling and still do. Played my warrior through all of BC, i was just a casual player really. I completed kara though, and had a good PvP setup going.

Then came wrath and rolled a hunter, cleared all the major raids for wrath in reg/heroic. Cata hit and i stopped raiding, completely hated everything about cata expansion.

Finally MoP came around and by the end of wrath i had rolled a druid. Started playing resto and only did pvp. 2400 RBG/2200 Arena at the start of MoP but since then have not done much. I occasionally log in but it's not the same game i grew up loving.

In my opinion i think things such as Looking for Group and Raid Finder is what made WoW so lack-luster of the years. Blizzards attempt to simplify the game and open end-game content to everyone was a doubled edged sword. Yeah it gave a lot of casuals opportunities to experience end-game content. But essentially things like LFG/Raid Finder turned an MMO into a single player game.

What i mean is the friends i made in WoW came about when i was searching for dungeon groups. You had to interact with people.. now all you have to do is push a button and wait. So yeah, that's my WoW story. Made a lot of good friends from the game through so it's all good. Even attended a wedding for a friend i had met who lives across the US from me lol.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
@Sup3rvillain   Welcome to the forums!  :)

WoW was not my first MMO either, but it has been best I've tried so far. I have to agree that WoW is not the game it used to be.
But then, I am not sure it could have stayed the same and have kept being a successful MMO.

Cata was not a great expansion to raid, IMO. Deathwing should have been so much more epic of a fight! I had been looking forward to the day we'd get to finally fight Deathwing and it was a disappointment. The Lich King fight, on the other hand, had an epic feel to it. My guild still does ICC and Ulduar for fun sometimes, for the feels and memories. Between the uninspiring DW fight and having to grind the hell out of the content for the legendary staff and daggers, we still do not want to set foot in any Cata raids for fun. Cata was good for those that enjoy leveling and lore, though!

Mists has been to much grinding for my tastes, especially rep. I play only to raid now, really. I am hoping the next expansion will be better. There are things I am looking forward to, like Garrisons, oh, and hunters actually get a tier set without dead animals on it! ;D

Offline Sup3rvillain

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »
@mariesalias
I didn't like anything about cata haha, even the flying in azeroth i disliked. Ruined exploration and hindered world pvp a lot.

But even though WoW has gone through it's glory days it's still at the top. A lot of games (Elder Scrolls/Rift) claimed to be "wow-killers" yet it still surpasses them.

And i'm excited for the new expansion, looks promising cause they're going to scale back a lot of stuff -- like damage/hp.

and i don't doubt blizzard is working on a new MMO, they've learned a lot from WoW so hopefully it's something good.

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
hopefully

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 05:02:15 AM »
Our raiding group seems to have broken up for the summer (at least), maybe longer. One of our healers was a no-show for a couple of raids because they simply forgot, so they got kicked out. Mists has taken almost all of our alt raiders and the few we have left are not geared enough now. Our main tank and one of our two main healers are expecting twins in the fall, and people keep going on vacations. At this rate, we won't get to finish Siege before the expansion comes out. :\

I am seriously bummed about this. I love raiding, our group has been together for years and I miss our bi-weekly get togethers to wipe over and over again and then occasionally down a boss.  I really miss the teamwork and camaraderie.

Sorry, I just wanted to vent a little.

Without raiding though, I have very little interest in playing right now.  I even got in on the WoD beta but it is kind of depressing to be in game right now. I'm not sure how to snap out of these doldrums. :(

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 05:26:39 AM »
Oh i understand you perfectly, i feel ya. i passed through that so often.  :(  :'(

i am Lucky presently, we are still raiding on my side, we over recruited lately specially cause that. yesterday we were 32 showing up for raid, so 7 of us got to sit. Last monday we killed heroic siegecrafter blackfuse for our 2nd time and saw heroic paragons for our first time (2-3 tries). yesterday was farm night, so alot shown up ^^

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 09:36:49 AM »
I don't envy you heroic Blackfuse! Blackfuse is not my favorite fight, though it is not really bad unless I have to go on the conveyor belt. Paragons is a fun fight though! I'll have to watch a video to see how different it s on heroic. I hope they don't give you guys too much trouble!

Our guild is run by 7 officers and because of several unpleasant recruits back in Lich King, we can not get all the officers to agree to actively recruit new members. We're a small, casual, close-knit guild, mostly 30+, and don't like drama. Hopefully Warlords will bring some of our alt raiders back, otherwise we'll be stuck with just flex I think. :/

Thank you for commiserating with me!

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
in heroic blackfuse i am obligated to do belts.... every belts :( i am an hunter. it s fun and not that bad. cant do any mistake. in heroic, the fire beams gaps are moving every 3 sec from right to left and to need to pass at the very good time, or take 1 million dmg (1,000,000 dmg) and die. (in normal the gaps dont move, but in heroic it move fast)

and when you do a belt, you get a debuff for 60 sec you cant go back but... since i am an hunter, i need to do every belts so ... the next time after, you need to trick it. every odd number you go by the pipe normally, and every even numbers, you need to disengage it and land on the belt without the permission ^^

it s fun though
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:49:43 AM by RedKetchup »

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
I am a hunter too but there is no way I'd be able to do it with them moving!

I have always had an issue with jumping in the game so my biggest issue with those belts is getting off of them! I swear, half the time I miss the pipe. Thankfully our raid leader out the warlock and DK on the belt, I contribute to that particular fight much better with boss DPS.  :-[

Why do you not trade off with another dps for the belts?

I get motion-sickness in games often, I can't even play a FPS for more then a few minutes before I start feeling ill. Maly was a nightmare for me (the end, eh, just thinking about it makes me feel dizzy) and I had to take motion-sickness meds before every Firelands raid once we got to Alysrazor. Flying after that bird was a special torture but oddly enough, I was one of the best people in our group to do it.