Author Topic: Official CotN Forum  (Read 8561 times)

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
Re: Official CotN Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
I have heard of this game for some time but never played it. How does it compare to Civilization?

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
It is more comparable to Pharaoh than to Civilization.  Some differences in my mind, between Pharaoh and CotN are as follows.

1.  No "walkers".  Residents walk to the markets themselves, or in some cases send servants.  Health and entertainment services are also available in this fashion.
2.  No fire or engineering services required.  Your town will never burn to the ground or begin collapsing.
3.  More temples and less divine wrath.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
I have never played Pharaoh before either. I have looked at it a number of times on Steam and thought about getting it though. It is difficult to tell sometimes from descriptions how games will play and I don't see the point in having multiple games that play the same basic way. Sounds like CotN plays differently enough to be interesting. Would you say CotN is the superior game/better play of the two?

Offline Boris_amj

• Founder
  • Vendor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:29:25 AM »
A bummer to keep your Prestige up, as it decays over time.
You have to keep building stuff to compensate (like statues and pyramids and such).

It is very atmospheric and very pleasing to the eye.

And yes, there is combat (for those that simply can't do without) although it is pretty basic.
Major campaigns are conducted off-screen, so don't expect Total War engagements or any such like.

As with Banished, the key is being able to control your population tightly.

And make damn sure that you have enough food before declaring a National Holiday.
After reckless celebrations, I struggled with my food reserves.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »
It does sound like a game I would like. I can take or leave combat, depending on the game. Thanks!

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
I prefer CotN to Pharaoh.  Pharaoh plays a lot like Caesar 3, if you have played that game.  Pharaoh was my favorite city-builder game until I tried CotN.  The prestige aspect is a drag, but if you are willing to mod a little bit you can provide yourself with a never-ending source of prestige.  Some battles are fought on the map, but the AI is stupid.  The soldiers walk right past an enemy until they get to where the enemy was when they started walking, and then follow.  The nicest thing about CotN, besides the wonderful music and the relaxing atmosphere, is that the resources never run out.  Quarries just keep getting deeper, and mines never show any difference.  Roads and plazas don't affect the people, but they also don't cost anything to place them.  The little people say things that are sometimes hilarious, and the rest of the time are just good atmosphere.  Be sure to get the patch.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
I will definitely put it on my list of games to get! Thank you for the tip about modding prestige! That is the type of thing that would probably annoy me after awhile.

Offline Paeng

• Banished Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 01:44:49 AM »
Yeah, you folks got me too - I just got CotN from Steam... (a first for me, btw)  ;D

Don't know when I start playing though - currently I'm totally hooked on Banished...
Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
I've always loved the Caesar 3 follow-ups: Pharaoh/Cleopatra, Zeus/Poseidon, and Emperor. The rampaging gods in Zeus were always fun. I still play them all from time to time. The walkers are a bit of a pain and you have to do some tricks to optimize neighborhoods for maximum population, but I have fun. I'm not sure that Caesar 2 wasn't the best of the Caesar series. I got it from GOG and fire it up now and again. Caesar 1 was a crap-shoot. If you won your first battle with barbarians, you were in for the whole game. If you lost the first battle you were screwed. I was always a bit ambiguous about Children of the Nile. On the one hand the graphics and lack of walkers were very nice, as was the ability to get right down on the street. On the other hand, the things one needed to do to keep prestige up always seemed just a bit out of reach and my cities would end up stagnating as a result. Even with some map modding (you should have seen some of my pre-designed pyramid and tomb set-ups!) it would eventually go into stagnation. Maybe I ought to pull the CDs out and give it another try. Wasn't there a second in the series? I can't remember.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
There was no second CotN, but there was a rather belated patch which changed some things significantly.  For instance, the brickyard was added and the priests were allowed to have wives.  I can't remember the other changes.  Ah, here we go.

11. New to the Enhanced Edition
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you played Children of the Nile before, here are some highlights of the improvements that we've made:

- Balance adjustments: The timing of lots of things (particularly priests' work, monument construction, and bartering times) has been changed to improve the pacing of the game.
- Improved construction feedback: The mouse help is clearer about what is necessary to complete a building, and if you select a building in progress, you will get better information about what your citizens need to finish the job.
- Priests may marry: A priest's partner will help with the household shopping.
- Brickyard: A new infrastructure building has been added that can store bricks closer to construction sites.
- Dissatisfaction indicators work differently: You'll find a green indicator when a family has no complaints about a particular area of their lives (instead of no indicator at all).
- Better mouse help: Clearer and more mouse help throughout the interface.
- New orders panel button: All buildings that you can control in some way (dedicate to a deity, assign its resident to particular tasks, choose what crops their farms grow) show a blue button when you select them.  Clicking that brings up the orders panel.
- New overseer orders: You can be more precise about what projects you'd like your overseers to work on.
- Road bonus: Citizen will find it a bit easier to travel over roads than rough terrain.
- New plazas, decorative objects, and monuments: Lots of new ways to decorate your city and increase your prestige.
- New shrine and bricklayer home variants.
- New quickstart tutorial scenario: To quickly refresh your memory of how ancient Egypt works.
- Vista compatibility.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:34:30 AM »
OK, @slink, you talked me into it. I got CotN enhanced off Steam and am going through the tutorials to reacquaint myself. Interestingly the text for the tutorials was not updated (e.g., the text says priests can't marry even as you are looking at a window that includes the priest's spouse).

Offline forwardirektion

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
It is more like Banished than other Tilted Mill/Impressions games. The lack of walkers and divinity really impacts the feel of the game. I have also seen it is often cheaper at GOG.com, where I got it from.

Compared to Banished, it is positively relaxing too. Not as addictive.

Offline Tzigone

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »
I like CoTN.  Finally downloaded some campaigns to play.  I also like Banished, of course.  Big fan of Anno 1404, too.  Can anyone recommend me more games like these?  It's important to me that combat be either non-existent or optional.  I don't like fighting; I like city-building or civilization building (I'd love a through-the-ages progression game without combat, as ahistorical as that is).

Speaking of custom scenarios/campaigns in CoTN, is there any way to create custom achievements in Banished?

Offline Didz

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 01:30:27 AM »
This is on my Steam wishist at the moment.  Just waiting for it to come up in a sale.  it looks pretty good from the youtube footage.