Author Topic: THE NORTH 6  (Read 36624 times)

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
Re: THE NORTH 6
« Reply #555 on: October 12, 2018, 07:34:45 AM »
Thank you @NK. The wicked or wattle fence is a new deco item for the Viking update and working like my other fences. I just used it to arrange this screenshot. Shipbuilding I want to include in some way but not sure yet how exactly. When the Vikings will arrive I can't say yet. I have a plan what to do in what order but not when it will be finished. Depends on how much time I can spend on it. :)

Offline 1

• Newb
« Reply #556 on: October 13, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
darnokthemage wanted  "gated little villages" some log building ideas for that

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #557 on: October 13, 2018, 01:08:59 AM »
Nice inspiration from Finland. Maybe to build such a, how would it be called by banished people, Gate Barn?

Offline darnokthemage

• Laborer
« Reply #558 on: October 13, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »
Yeah, gatebarn would work.

Offline NK

• Newb
« Reply #559 on: October 13, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »
@Tom Sawyer The more accurate term would be "gatehouse". Here's a pic of one that would fit in to the viking era. It's from Jomsborg-Wolin, Poland if you want to do further research. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:08:06 AM by NK »

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #560 on: October 13, 2018, 07:58:30 AM »
Yes, that's a proper Viking gatehouse. The thing is that such fortifications are quite useless in Banished. This originally barn catches my interest because it can be fun to build as part of a homestead. If "gate barn" sounds strange it can be also just a "log barn" to make clear it matches the log cabins and then just has a nice passage. I have no feeling for special English terms.

Offline brads3

• Banished Expert
« Reply #561 on: October 13, 2018, 08:31:21 AM »
darnokthemage, have you checked out the plymouth plantation sets by KID? thou more colonial than viking,the mod does have the fence and a blockhouse that acts as a TH. the rough weathered textures and thatch roofs might suit you. the training camp mod by RED has a fence part with hunters for the lookout towers.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=317

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=178

Offline darnokthemage

• Laborer
« Reply #562 on: October 13, 2018, 11:56:26 AM »

I would like doing something more like this.

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #563 on: October 13, 2018, 12:05:11 PM »
Ah, that's where we already have photos and the well in game. Thanks for this overview.

I made a first draft of the gate barn.. :)

Offline darnokthemage

• Laborer
« Reply #564 on: October 13, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »
That looks so awsome! :D

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #565 on: October 13, 2018, 01:06:26 PM »
I'm trying to understand the legend of your picture. I know what's a stugan, a stall and a fähus. But google and me fail with bergkalasloftet and the härbrets. I would like to know how all these buildings were used. Please help!^^

Offline darnokthemage

• Laborer
« Reply #566 on: October 13, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »
The bergkarlaloft means mountain-man-loft. The Bergcarls were ironworkers and traders from dalarna.
härbre is a food storage house, often on short stilts or similar to prevent rats from climbing in. It was also often used to sleep in on the summers.
The squared off tun (yard) is typical of old farms from northern sweden. It places both the animal, storage and housing wall to wall, or near to eachother. Example of a Härbre in Norway.

Also might want to look at this, you will probably not understand much, but it's about traditional buildings and building styles in Westrobothnia, or Västerbotten in Northern Sweden. (And where i come from  :D ) https://www.vbm.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/1984_3_4.pdf Would love if we got a Västerbottensgård, or parstuga. https://www.vannas.se/Sve/Bildarkiv/Kultur/beb3.jpg
THE NORTH 6
Here is a layout of it, https://www.vannas.se/Sve/Bildarkiv/Kultur/beb4.jpg
THE NORTH 6
And a picture of a typical one.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:32:31 PM by darnokthemage »

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #567 on: October 13, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. So it's a kind of home for travelling workers? I found a picture of it and it looks very similar to the one I made with this lodge style. Wondering if it's actually also something to live and not only for storage. Maybe to use it in game as a boarding house for 2 or 3 small families. Could be useful.

Offline darnokthemage

• Laborer
« Reply #568 on: October 13, 2018, 10:24:42 PM »
I would say maybe seperate it into two buildings? The bottom one being storage and the top being a boarding house?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:30:20 PM by darnokthemage »

Offline 1

• Newb
« Reply #569 on: October 14, 2018, 04:34:26 AM »
Those "barns, granarys, storages" were used for sleeping only in summer times.
If you make that "gate barn" you should make it without gate too, it would be nice.