Author Topic: Tablet Owners Poll  (Read 6887 times)

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
Re: Tablet Owners Poll
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Like @slink and @Boris_amj, I tend to be old school. My kids and grandkids laugh, but I like the look, the feel, the heft, the smell of real books newspapers and magazines. Now that he weather is a bit better I am looking forward to sitting in the garden to drink my morning tea and read some philosophy books I've been meaning to read (Yeah, I know, a weird pastime). I even shop at local bookstores when I can, as tempting as Amazon is when I really want an obscure title fast. Awhile back I did buy a Kobo Arc, which is a 7" Android tablet designed primarily as an e-reader and sold at Chapters-Indigo, Canada's version of Barnes and Noble. I have several books on it (which are downloaded and readable off-line). These are books that were significantly cheaper than hard or paper back editions and which I don't want to read too intently (I still underline and write notes in books that are important to me--I know you can do similar things in e-books, but I don't). The best part is that I can check out e-versions of murder mysteries from our local public library and if I forget to return them they just disappear and I don't have to pay fines. I do read the Globe and Mail (Canada's "national" newspaper) on line, but I still like real better than virtual.

I also have a cell phone that is only a phone!

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »
@solarscreen I am glad to hear that they did not remove it entirely! I don't see the need to get the 3G version as I can easily just download books while I am home; I can't justify the extra cost. I like that I can cut the connection, so-to-speak. 

@rkelly17 I agree there is something comforting to the feel and heft of a book! I also like to underline and write in the margins though I have stopped doing it as it makes it difficult to loan books to people. I am not sure I want to leave such an insight into my psyche so readily available. ;D  I really like the idea of checking out e-versions of books from the library though! I am so bad at returning books on time!

Sorry, I am having trouble using the quote feature of this forum; it just doesn't do anything for me. I suspect adblock may be interfering with it since others are not having any problems using the quote function. I'll have to adjust the settings and see if that helps.

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 05:19:11 AM »
Sorry, I am having trouble using the quote feature of this forum; it just doesn't do anything for me. I suspect adblock may be interfering with it since others are not having any problems using the quote function. I'll have to adjust the settings and see if that helps.

@mariesalias, I was baffled by the "quote" function as well. Apparently what you have to do is click REPLY first, then scroll down to the post you want to quote and on the right side of the top of that quote clink on "Insert Quote".

Not sure why the Quote button exists if it doesn't work but at least there is a way to get it done.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »
@mariesalias, I was baffled by the "quote" function as well. Apparently what you have to do is click REPLY first, then scroll down to the post you want to quote and on the right side of the top of that quote clink on "Insert Quote".

Not sure why the Quote button exists if it doesn't work but at least there is a way to get it done.

Ah, thank you! It is a little counter-intuitive. :D

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire HD 7" and a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" and they are perfect for me.  I use them as mini-laptops when I travel, and I use them on my commute to and from work (I take public transportation).  They are really just multimedia devices for me.  When I don't have a WiFi connection, I use them to listen to music, play offline games, and read e-books and e-magazines.  When I do have a WiFi connection, I use Skype and I browse the web and I play the games that require WiFi. 

There are a TON of Android tablets out there but as a certified "Amazon guy", the Kindle Fires work really well for me.

I also love to read "real" books.  There are five books on my nightstand right now, all in progress.  Do any of you start multiple books before finishing the first, or is that just me?

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
I only read one fiction book at a time.  Non-fiction is a different matter.  I read however many of them at a time as are required to acquire the information that I am seeking.

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
I have often-times read multiple books at a time, depending on my mood  at a given time. Technically, I am currently in the process of reading 4 books: the first Wheel of Time book, the last Mistborn novel, Pride and Prejudice, and an organizational/time management one. Mostly though I am just reading PnP, so I don't really consider it as reading them all concurrently.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »
Generally I'm with @slink on this. One fiction at a time, now mostly e-books I've checked out of the library. Since my wife and I, both pretty serious about books, retired at the same time, we have limited shelf space these days and e-books from the library are a good solution. With non-fiction I have three categories: Research, which involves multiple books and articles at once; stuff I wanted to read but didn't have time before, which is one-at-a-time; and current events, which is 1-3 at a time. These categories often overlap. Now that I'm retired a new category of non-fiction is coming up: Books that changed my way of thinking about things at some point in the past but I haven't looked at in awhile. I'm taking some of these up to see how I react to them now. Thank goodness I underline and make notes and comments in the margin or else I couldn't reconstruct what I was thinking when I first read the book. That has me thinking that e-books might not be a good choice for non-fiction that is really important to me. I have an older friend whose books now have two and three layers of note/comments in them. What a treasure!

Offline solarscreen

• Klaatu Barada Nikto
  • Founder
  • Architect
  • The prodigal has returned...
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
... Thank goodness I underline and make notes and comments in the margin or else I couldn't reconstruct what I was thinking when I first read the book. That has me thinking that e-books might not be a good choice for non-fiction that is really important to me. I have an older friend whose books now have two and three layers of note/comments in them. What a treasure!...

Actually you can write up notes and underline passages and highlight on the Kindle and save all that with your books.  These can be indexed, referenced, and searched on unlike a hardbound book.  It's just so hard to break from the attachment we have for physical books, and, having hardbound books is still a good idea.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 09:44:06 AM »
You are right, @solarscreen, you are right. I've done it. One problem is that my Kobo is a 7" Android and the "keyboard" that comes up on the screen is ridiculous. I'm not at all good at touch screen keyboards and the smaller they are the worse my problem. I tried to take notes of a lecture on my wife's ipad and gave up in frustration. The other problem is that I'm a stubborn old coot. I wonder whether those of us who grew up loving books can ever really change completely. It's not that I'm opposed to e-editions--I've created several of them myself--but when you get this visceral pleasure from not just the text but the object itself, well, that's hard to give up.

Offline Tomokatu

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 11:48:08 PM »
I've been a reader for more than 40 years.
Since I bought my Kindle Fire (Wi-Fi) I've bought and read over 50 new books, mainly fiction (SF & Fantasy) but also Mil History and I've made a start on clearing the house of forty years of accumulated paperbacks. There are some books which will NEVER be donated to charity - good bindings, some with sentimental values, some rarities but my entertainment books can all go electronic & be ephemeral.

My practice was always to use the >Manage Your Kindle>Download & Transfer by USB cable option which has given the chance to archive the *.azw and *.azw3 files. As well as being saved on my PC (1TB external drive) I've backed the archive up on a 32Gb USB thumb drive (Backup protocol - Father, Son, Grandfather), so the possibility of Amazon deleting my books doesn't exist.

Other Kindle users, especially those who don't have a country-specific Amazon  store, try the Calibre software which lets you source e-books from ANY location in any (of a wide range of) format, convert them to *azw3 format and read them on your Kindle. There are a lot of e-books which are legal and free. It's also a good library management tool. You can assign series references to your books (and lots of other stuff)

However, I seem to have fallen foul of a known major Kindle problem (at least - there are a lot of You Tube videos about doing the hardware fix) which is the vulnerable mini-USB charging port. It's wobbling and needs a lot of care in manipulating the cable in the port in order to get it to charge again.

I don't have the tools or fine soldering skills to do the repair myself and can't seem to find anybody here in Oz who would do the repair.

I may have to buy a new Kindle.
The older I get, the better I was

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 07:32:49 AM »
I've been a reader for more than 40 years.
Since I bought my Kindle Fire (Wi-Fi) I've bought and read over 50 new books, mainly fiction (SF & Fantasy) but also Mil History and I've made a start on clearing the house of forty years of accumulated paperbacks. There are some books which will NEVER be donated to charity - good bindings, some with sentimental values, some rarities but my entertainment books can all go electronic & be ephemeral.

. . . .

Other Kindle users, especially those who don't have a country-specific Amazon  store, try the Calibre software which lets you source e-books from ANY location in any (of a wide range of) format, convert them to *azw3 format and read them on your Kindle. There are a lot of e-books which are legal and free. It's also a good library management tool. You can assign series references to your books (and lots of other stuff)

I don't know about whether this will work on Kindle or in Australia, but a couple of years ago I bought a Kobo e-reader/7" Android tablet which comes from Chapters-Indigo in Canada. Now, in addition to buying e-books and downloading free e-books, I can check out e-books from our local public library. The loan term is the same as for books from the library, but--and her's the good part--you never pay overdue fines because when the book is due it deletes itself. I love the library, but I'm the forgetful type and I've spent my life paying overdue fines. Now, with e-check out I've been fine free for months. In buying e-books I've noted that for many books the paperback version is cheaper than the e-book version. Doesn't make sense, but there it is.

Offline Tomokatu

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
My major gripe has been that, since I registered with the local Amazon shop, I find that some of my favourite authors haven't released their books to the Oz market and some publications (Smithsonian's Air & Space magazine)  which I used to buy from the US Amazon site just aren't available at all. There's no wishlist facility, either.

Over the years I've found that bricks & mortar libraries just don't stock the books I'm interested in buying/reading. Plus, If I like a book/series, I will want to re-read it - several times. I have a complete collection of Heinlein that I re-read about every five years, similarly A. Bertram Chandler, also individual books (the album version "The Deed of Paksenarrion") so although libraries were a wonderful idea for the 19thC. I've moved past them now.
The older I get, the better I was

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
Over the years I've found that bricks & mortar libraries just don't stock the books I'm interested in buying/reading. Plus, If I like a book/series, I will want to re-read it - several times. I have a complete collection of Heinlein that I re-read about every five years, similarly A. Bertram Chandler, also individual books (the album version "The Deed of Paksenarrion") so although libraries were a wonderful idea for the 19thC. I've moved past them now.

Far be from me to comment on how libraries may or may not work in another country. Hereabouts the library remains a center for all sorts of activity. Most recently our local public library built a joint facility with the YMCA so people are exercising and reading in the same space. The place has become an incredible hub of activity. And we are the high tech capital of Canada, so people are very wired. Libraries do need to pay attention to the community they serve and ours do. Plus, at least in these parts, it's free and not limited to those who can pay the entrance costs. I can't imagine a situation in which "moving past" public libraries is a good idea. We need healthy public institutions which are open to all.

That being said there are some books that one does have to own for various reasons. Our reasons vary, but we all need books (in whatever form) in our lives.

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
I like the idea of a combination library/YMCA. Very cool.