Author Topic: Tablet Owners Poll  (Read 6106 times)

Offline mariesalias

• Founder
  • Trader
Re: Tablet Owners Poll
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »

...we all need books (in whatever form) in our lives.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »
I like the idea of a combination library/YMCA. Very cool.

The librarian who developed the plan and saw it though the city hall process is a friends of ours. She says that the only thing she'd do differently is that she would not allow coffee. She's been quite amazed at what slobs people can be and how much damage they can do with a simple cup of coffee. I sort of agree, but it is nice to sip coffee while reading magazines.

Offline Tomokatu

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »
We need healthy public institutions which are open to all.

Unfortunately, we're currently in the political grip of a party which is completely opposed to that concept of public services. Two more years to go.
However, I didn't mention my personal circumstances which are the main reason I've moved MOST of my shopping and other transactions online. 
I'm "mobility restricted" (smashed right ankle in 2009) no longer have motor transport and live kilometres from the nearest public library (which is being de-funded anyway and has unpredictable opening hours)
That's how a politician destroys a public service, make it unreliable, take away its resources, then claim "unpopularity" in order to close it down.

I've moved past.
The older I get, the better I was

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:15 AM »
I get where you are coming from, @Tomokatu. We, too, have a Federal government that hates anything public but are somewhat shielded by a provincial government that is not so bad that way--though now we are being hounded by "bond rating agencies" who think that it is their divine right to force governments to be as blind to real people as they are. You have to do what you have to do to cope. Fortunately we live in a municipality where public transit is actually getting better, though ticket prices are higher than they ought to be. We even have one or two non-car-centric developments being built. We're close enough to Toronto that people have a constant reminder of what can go wrong if you elect the wrong people municipally.

Offline Zephormite

• Laborer
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
Our household has a HP 8" Android tablet (New purchase), which is used for a range of things from web browsing to videos and tv shows for my daughter, to a bit of gaming for my wife & I. And my wife has a Kobo Mini E-Reader which she uses obsessively, she has hundreds of books on there.

Our own personal library has close to 1000 books in it as well, I generally purchase a new book every fortnight, currently working my way through a bunch of Football (Soccer) History books. My wife used to get 15-20 books from the library a month, instead she now reads on her Kobo and can get new books without ever leaving the house.

I am tempted to get an E-Reader of my own, but still enjoy having an actual book, Book Depository being my main source of books as for some reason buying them in NZ is ridiculous, talking twice the price I can get them online. I used to shop at an actual book store which would order me any book I wanted and at a reasonable price, but they were a new chain created by an old chain, and when the old chain started to lose money and got bought out they closed the newer chain, and kept the "old name" for history purposes, even though the newer chain was making money, and the old brand losing it by the bucketload. As such I now almost never visit a store to buy books, and other than my local hardware store slowly going online to purchase everything else as well.

I also have a 5" Android Phone, which gets used almost as a tablet a lot of the time as well.