Author Topic: Random questions about gameplay and game mechanics  (Read 2715 times)

Offline CathyM

• Laborer
Re: Random questions about gameplay and game mechanics
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2019, 12:38:06 PM »
Thanks, Brad - I will try that (cautiously).  :-\ The mod does show up to be enabled, but then just doesn't appear in the game. That's even when I start a new game after enabling and putting it on top, not just when I load an old one...

Offline galensgranny

• Architect
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2019, 02:50:45 PM »
Cathy, have you cleaned out all the temp files on your computer?  If not, maybe, possibly that would help.  I assume you have restarted your computer since having added the debug.  I have no idea if restarting makes a difference with things not showing up in a game, but I find it does for me sometimes with various things not working so well in general, not specific to Banished.
Maybe delete that Debug file, and download it again, in case it was a corrupt file.

Offline CathyM

• Laborer
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2019, 06:26:47 PM »
I got Debug to show up! I suppose restarting the computer did it... and I hadn't realized that Debug is like the biggest "cheat" in the world! I see that in order to test things, you'd have to make situations quickly, but it's really tempting to just add logs or food or clothes to the storage, or quickly plunk down a barn if needed... I'm trying to resist.  ;)

Offline galensgranny

• Architect
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2019, 07:37:23 AM »
I am glad you can now see the Debug menu, Cathy.  Restarting the computer, especially if you have not done so in days, will often get things working well again.  The more you use the computer, go online, the more "junk" that winds up in temporary storage, and sometimes some programs you closed didn't quite close as they should.  It takes Banished longer to load for me if I haven't restarted my computer in a few days, after having been using all those days.

Yes, the Debug lets you just plop things down, add food etc.  It is great when you are just wanting to design a town for looks only, not caring around actually playing the game.

Offline CathyM

• Laborer
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
I have been enjoying playing Banished as a break from my tasks and worries, so I am glad when I can avoid a failure in the game, and just enjoy watching the little bannies scurry around and live their tiny lives. :-) And having the Debug allows me to learn some of the complexities without having to start over because suddenly everyone starved to death, for example. I'm still trying to figure out the best town configuration... I'm not good at organization and I hate to destroy a building just to build something better, so my towns are still "organic"... but I'm learning!  :)

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
the important is... to have fun :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Offline brads3

• Banished Expert
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »
now,now don't overuse the debug. it can become a crutch. it can be a handy tool or a cheat.

there is no "best configuration."  with so many mods each map is different and has its own personality.  even without changing terrain or climates. the trade merchants bring different stuff. so many random differences from 1 map to the next. everyplayer has their own style. we all use different mods and have different ideas. that too can change over time and varry from map to map. that makes the game more fun since it is always changing.

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »
I have been enjoying playing Banished as a break from my tasks and worries, so I am glad when I can avoid a failure in the game, and just enjoy watching the little bannies scurry around and live their tiny lives. :-) And having the Debug allows me to learn some of the complexities without having to start over because suddenly everyone starved to death, for example. I'm still trying to figure out the best town configuration... I'm not good at organization and I hate to destroy a building just to build something better, so my towns are still "organic"... but I'm learning!  :)

When I was first playing Banished one of the most helpful things I ever did was watching a "Banished Strategy and Tactics" series by YouTuber Pinstar:

His series is from pre-mod days and so isn't always applicable today. Nonetheless, he gives an excellent way to start any map on hard. Since I began using his startup I have never starved a poor innocent community to death. Run out of tools because I wasn't paying attention, yes. Had a plague because I forgot to build a hospital, yes. Other crises based on not paying attention to everything I needed to, yes. But starved everyone, no.  ::)

My approach is to think of a map as a "county" rather than a town and create several villages and clusters rather than a single town. Each village centers around a market and has a woodcutter, blacksmith, tailor church and cemetery along with a number of houses. Clusters are more specialized--maybe a hunter/gatherer/forester/woodcutter cluster with enough houses to staff all; maybe a farm cluster with fields, barns and houses; maybe a mining cluster, maybe a livestock cluster. I have certain things I try to do, but often one must let the map speak. For my money the most beautiful towns are those by @Paeng. I can only dream of ever being that accomplished at design.

Offline 1

• Trader
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2019, 11:55:48 PM »
Gatherer

So then it is possible to have an island that is only connected to land via such underwater tunnel? And boats will pass over it?

Gatherer

Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 04:28:58 AM

@RedKetchup Could you still release the non-crashing version as a standalone mod? Perhaps I can find some use for it in one of my towns.

RedKetchup

Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 02:06:51 PM

gimme a couple of days :)

I was just wonder, have you forget this, @RedKetchup.
It might be annoying that im still asking for this mod.
If you don't want release this walking on seabed mod, that's ok then, im not badly disappointing (just a little  :'( ;D)
Just remind, i leave you alone after this.

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
the thing happended at that moment, i lost my saved model i did at some point. I didnt want to redraw new buildings/towers entirely.... i gave up.

sorry.

Offline 1

• Trader
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

Thanks, for answer.  :)

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2019, 03:27:04 PM »
yeah thats sad, i lost many hours of modeling. got bummed

Offline donwolfkonecny

• Trader
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »
What is the way to learn about modding? I look and didn't find something online except the Shining Rock stuff for 1.04 which I assume is mostly out of date.

Offline Jinxiewinxie

• Modders
  • Trader
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »
I started by following Discrepancy's tutorial for making a little house- it helps you understand the modelling process and then the code part as well. Its a good "starter" project to work on. When I'd run into issues, I'd do a search on the forums here for like "smoke" or "footprint" (=

There's also threads around for making your own toolbar entry for the Community Toolbar and adding 1.0.7 storage flagging (new limits). Just hop in and get ready to mess up, heh! Being sort of lost is half the fun =)

Offline donwolfkonecny

• Trader
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2019, 01:05:19 PM »
Thanks Jinxie! I will go down that rabbithole!!!
However I'm actually more interested in working with the rules, for example working with the happiness radius positive and negative and the different types of happiness influencers. Is there a similar training or tutorial for that?
And also how about seeds and infestation and adding seeds to traders.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk