News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Discord Server / Channels: Is there interest?

Started by Admin, November 01, 2018, 09:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

World of Banished members, what do you think of a World of Banished Discord server with various channels for discussions?

Discord is not NEW although it has not been around a long time either.  A lot of people use Discord, especially people who play games.  Banished is not one of those games to draw out thousands of excited players all interacting with each other.  There is a solid community of Banished players and a strong group of mod authors.  If a Discord server / channels can help provide another avenue for discussion and enjoyment, let's do it.

Tell me one way or another what you think about this idea.

If you need more information on Discord, go here:  https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-discord,review-5203.html

TBC

Gatherer

Isn't this mostly for multiplayer games?

And I don't want to offend anyone as that is not my intention but I have no desire to communicate with forum members through anything else outside this forum. Just my personal preference. As far as I'm concerned I will not take part in this.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Admin

Quote from: Gatherer on November 01, 2018, 10:38:10 AM
Isn't this mostly for multiplayer games?

And I don't want to offend anyone as that is not my intention but I have no desire to communicate with forum members through anything else outside this forum. Just my personal preference. As far as I'm concerned I will not take part in this.

I'm sure offense was not intended and its understandable that not everyone would want to converse in this manner.

Discord provides a way to chat rather than posting and waiting for others to reply to that post.  It's a real time conversation tool.

Thank you for the comment though. That's why I asked!

smurphys7

Kraylerg, Colonial Charter dev, setup a Discord for Banished.  It is not particularly active.  I don't see any Banished discord being particularly active.

It is nice to have a place for questions and thoughts when things to talk about do arise.

Link to that discord

galensgranny

I am not interested.  I like using the forum.

embx61

Over 9400 members.

315 pages with 30 members on a page sorted by posts made high to low.

By page 21 we reach the first members with 0 posts.

So 8800 out of the over the 9400 never ever posted even once.
A Server to talk seems overkill to me as those people who never post and never did post are most probably not going to talk either.

With not that many who post on a regular basis a server can even cause division/separation as some will be on the server and some others on the forum.
But the most important thing is that those few who will talk know what was talked about and most probably not going to make a post about it so nobody will know about certain problems, ideas, whatever.

Now with the posts made because of problems, ideas, whatever, readers can read about problems even years after.
With a server talk lots of that can get lost because less posts are being made.

I thank you however for trying ideas to keep the forum going but I just think a server to talk will not give much, if any, benefit as far as I can see.

My two coppers :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

i really thanks you for the offer Master, but i dont see there would be an utility. this game cannot played together and cause that, it would relay only on chatting live. and since we are from all around the world, as the 0 posts show it, there are tons of people here barely know how to read english enough to download something, but not enough to say something, asking them speak english verbally, would be out of reach for most of them ^^ even me LOL

but thanks you for the offer
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

zak4862

Quote from: galensgranny on November 01, 2018, 01:20:24 PM
I am not interested.  I like using the forum.

I agree with galensgranny. Thanks for your offer. No hard feelings.  :)

Admin

Let me add some detail here:

Discord is not being proposed to replace the forum. The forum will continue until SkyNet turns out the lights and we have to hide in caves.

Discord supports text channels where you can chat with others.  There are voice channels but I don't see where those would be needed.

This is an option I am offering up to see if there are some, like mod authors, who might like to be able to chat rather than post back and forth.

Discord supports many languages, not just English.

Thank you to everyone who has commented or just come by and read the thread!
TBC