News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Trilogy - part 2 - Sunrise Mountain Mines - Story 40

Started by Abandoned, April 05, 2019, 10:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

Sunrise Mountain Mines is the 2nd part of a 3 part trilogy. The song in this Intro inspired the trilogy and I was happy to find a video of it that fit my stories so well.   The Mines are located on the west side of Sunrise Mountain in the northeast corner of the world map.  The year is year 52 SVT, the same year that Morningside of Story 39 to the east was settled. Two couples and one man, named Jack, came by houseboat from Monkstown of story 7 heading north.  They stopped to rescue 7 survivors of the tornado that destroyed O'Leary's Farm as described in story 39's prologue.  The rescuers left the houseboat and the 6 adult survivors and Jillian in the valley on the east side of the mountain (the morning side of the mountain) and they continued on foot up the pass to the high mountains.  The rescuers settled there on the west side to mine for gold and gems.
Note:  Jack is not physically on the map.  One of the 4 adults, Abrie, tells this story.

The Map is # 883145140     Mountains,  Small, Harsh, Disasters Off,  Duo Start (4 Adults)

Mods enabled and load order:

Starting and Map Changing Mods:  Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Maps, Banished UI Town Names, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC light Rain, New Flora Edit, New Trees, Multiple Starts (Tikaszar)

Tweak Mods:   Better Fields, Blacksmith Tools, Fishing Dock 25%, Hunting, Hunting Season, Increased CC, 1:1 Alternative, Rock Respawn, Tool Valu Up, Woodcutter +3

Major or Must Have Mods:   An Empty Square, Nomad Sign Complete, Storage Crates v1, Kid Old Town, Kid Rowhouse Business, Kid Rowhouse Housing, Kid Tiny, Mini Warehouse

Supporting Mods:   Campfire, DS Tunnels, Fly Fishing, Kid House Boat, Kid Tool Emporium, My Precious, Smoking Shed

Yes, weary traveler, I was one of the original settlers of this town.  My name is Abrie and my husband's name is Savio.  We were friends of Jack's back in Monkstown before we headed north.  Yes, Monkstown down south where there were, and still are, pirates.  In fact, Jack was a pirate for a time.  Yes, a pirate.  It's no secret.  I'll tell you Jack's story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8AzzXMa2Q

Abandoned

Chapter 1 

So, weary traveler, you want to hear about pirates.  Well, Jack's father was a pirate who worked out of a Smuggler's Cave near Monkstown for a while.  While he was gone on river runs his wife was a little too friendly with townsmen and other pirates.  That of course led to major family problems resulting in Jack being taken away on river runs with his father.  Jack learned a lot about ships and ship building.  Jack's father died in a Pirate's Den brawl defending his wife's honor and she died from yellow fever, I believe it was, a short time later.  Jack was little more than a boy living in Monkstown at the time and working as a builder, so he learned how to build rowhouses.  Yes, weary traveler, just like the ones you see here. That's were we met Jack, Sandyn, and Monserra, we all became friends.  Well, pirating and treasure hunting were in Jack's blood but he didn't want to steal treasures and he didn't want to go to nearby Mountain Mines and end up having pirates stealing his treasures from him.  He heard rumors that Sunrise Mountain may have just the kind of treasure he was looking for.  He asked us to go with him.  Yes, it was just the 5 of us, Jack had no one, he was something of a loner.

My husband and Sandyn help Jack build the houseboat he designed and we headed north.  We ran into some bad weather and then came upon a farmstead that was hard hit by a tornado.  We did not see how they could survive there, they were as young as we were.  Jack convinced them to go north with us.  They had so little left but the cow and chickens that survived seemed to mean a lot to the young girl who was crying so heartbrokenly.  Jack spent half the night before we left getting those chickens and the cow onto the houseboat. 

When we got to the valley east of Sunrise Mountain, the survivors decided they wanted to stay there rather than head up the mountains with us.  Jack had no problem with that and even shared all the supplies with them.  It was hard leaving our new friends but we would not be all that far away.  After saying our goodbyes, we crossed the bridge with the old supply wagon, heading for the mountain pass, when Jack suddenly stopped and turned to look back.  And there approaching the survivors by the bridge was that young girl who had been crying so sadly back at the farm.  She suddenly stopped to stare at us, her arms full of wild oats.  It would be more accurate to say she stopped and stared at Jack.  Their eyes met across the distance and it was as if time stopped.  There was a connection there that all of us could feel.  She was no young girl but a young woman fully grown and Jack did not miss that fact.  He lifted his hand in a brief wave and the moment ended.  He turned and we continued up the path.

The other men helped us get the cart to the top of the pass and we continued on alone until we came to the river.  It was cold and the temperature continued to drop.  Our first morning up in Sunrise Mountain was a frosty one.  We gathered logs and stone and wild foods. My Savio did some hunting.  We were soon chopping wood and building a large boarding house for all of us.

It wasn't long before we had a small storage barn and a cover over the woodchopper.  Two 2-story rowhouse units were built and Jack had the boarding house to himself.  In early autumn Savio and I had a baby boy and Sandyn and Monserra had a girl. It snowed in autumn and we were glad we had plenty of food in storage for the coming winter.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

We were all glad when springtime finally came and temperatures climbed well above freezing.  A few spring flower trees and some yellow daffodils began to bloom.  There is nothing quite like a spring morning in the mountains, the air is so fresh and clean and everything is so bright and green. But it is not so good for those that struggled to survive the harsh winter.  Two families with young children arrived and were more than happy to stay with us.  They moved into the boarding house with Jack who, when not busy working, began taking long walks in the direction of the mountain pass. 

The deer herds were moving gradually farther to the east and Savio was again doing some hunting.  In early summer I wondered where he was so long until Jack returned from a walk over in that direction and told me that he met Savio who was now on his way over the pass to check on how the survivors were doing back in Morningside.  When Savio returned he had a sack of wild food and farm fresh eggs.  What a treat those were for breakfast.  He told me all was well in Morningside and that it was Jack's idea that he go there.  He said Jack particularly wanted to know how the girl was and what her name was, Savio added that she seemed pretty interested in what he had to say especially about Jack.  When asked how she was, she shrugged and said she wanted to go home. Her name was Jillian.  Well, let me tell you, weary traveler, I was happy to hear all that.  I always hoped Jack would find someone to make him happy.  As long as I've know Jack this was the first real interest he's shown in a woman.  I heard him say once that women were nothing but trouble.  That opinion was no doubt influenced by his mother's behavior and that of other dysfunctional families in Monkstown. 

Nothing more was said on the matter and work continued.  The 2 youngest children of the 2 families that joined us were nearing school age, building a school became top priority that summer.  The 2 men were uneducated but they knew a lot about mining and tools, they were of Dwarven descent.  A tool smith was build and more rowhouses were started.  By autumn a precious mine and a placer mine were up and running.  In early winter of year 2, Jack had his first piece of gold ore.  He would keep a record of his treasures in the new tiny town hall.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

After another cold winter, we were short of coats.  A small town tailor was built but all we had was leather to make hide coats, nothing warmer.

By early spring there were 4 gold ore and 1 gemstone in storage.  I would have thought Jack would have been more excited over the progress made accumulating his long-awaited treasure, it was his dream.  Well, I suppose it wasn't all that much but it was a start.  He spent a lot of time recording statistics at the town hall.

In autumn we saw a river boatman going down the river, he did not stop.  With the current as swift as it was Jack thought a port to anchor at would be needed.  We could use a better variety of foods and wool for warmer coats.  Farming would not be too successful at this elevation with its harsh climate.  One of the newcomers pointed out that tools were needed by many in the area and we had the means of providing them. 

By late autumn a tool trader was well on its way to being completed.  Work was delayed by another early snowfall.  We knew it would be another cold winter which was pretty hard on families with young children.  Savio and I had our 3rd son in late summer and Sandyn and Monserra had their first.  We had to stay close to home to care for the newborns.  Sunrise Mountain Mines now had a population of 19, 10 adults, 2 students, and 7 young children.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

By early spring of year 4, Jack had done some evaluating of our work force and supplies.  We only had one laborer and we were always short of logs, iron, and stone.  A tiny forester could gather all three, so a tiny forester was set up in the forest south of town.  The wood chopper and tailor often had to stop work to help gather.  We did not want Jack to stop work at the mines.  In fact we, convinced him to build a mini warehouse just for his treasures.  We had not been able to gather enough wild foods either and only had a few wild oats.  We needed grain.  Hopefully we could trade tools for grain and wool.  The tailor could go back to work making warmer coats.

Needless to say, we were shocked when 2 families of migrants arrived and Jack turned them away suggesting they take the mountain pass to Morningside.  What was he thinking?  We needed help.   I suppose he considered that our food supply was not the best and those families did have 2 young children to feed.  They took Jack's advice and headed for the pass.

Our food supply did improve that summer and fall.  There was an abundance of wild oats and the hunting was good and remained so well into the winter months.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

We thought spring had finally arrived but then it snowed again.  Gathering wild foods would be delayed but our food supply was better thanks to the number and size of the deer herds that had been here recently.

In Spring of year 5, two families of migrants arrived.  They came from the Sunrise Mountain foothills upriver.  They had been struggling to make it on their own the last few years and decided this year they would head further south.  They agreed to stay with us.  We were glad that Jack did not send them to Morningside.  Savio said Jack was concerned with how Morningside was doing, and he's mentioned that girl, Jillian, once or twice.  That surprised me, we had been here going on 5 years and she was still on his mind.  They never even met.  Interesting.

It wasn't long after the 2 families arrived that a riverboat was spotted upriver.  As we hoped, it stopped at our port.  Emalina, the general goods merchant, said he was only interested in accepting tools in trade.  He didn't have anything with him that we needed but he did say he could get us apples, bread, and potatoes.  Emalina thought Hatti, one of the other river boatmen, had some wool, he'd see if he could get some for us.  Warm coats sure would be nice, I was still feeling a bit rundown from the long cold winter.

The smith said we could get a better trade value if we make better tools so a coal mine was dug in the small mountain behind the tailor.  Actually, as far as mines go, it was a very nice looking mine.  We had extra workers now, and we needed more housing.  Jack was again feeling the effects of overcrowding in the boarding house but still did not want a house of his own.  He said he wouldn't be in it enough. 

More houses and small sheds were built as well as a fishing pier.  Fresh caught fish would be a welcome change from our diet of venison.   Tiny rowhouses were built in early autumn.  It was rainy and damp and the temperature continued to drop.  Both I and my 1 year old daughter caught summer cold that we just could not seem to shake.  We were alright during the day but spent half the night coughing and wheezing.  Savio was concerned for us with winter coming on and Jack insisted that we go down to Morningside to stay on the houseboat until early spring, the climate was less harsh there.  Savio agreed it would be best, and our neighbor, Monserra, would help with our 3 boys while I was away.  So I was not in Sunrise when the final house and gemsmith were completed.  Savio later told me that when asked by the gemsmith, Jack did not hesitate to tell her to polish the green emeralds first.  Apparently, Jack liked green.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

I returned to Sunrise Mountain Mines in early spring feeling healthy and well rested.  I was relieved that little Magdalia was also well, and we were both happy to see her father and brothers.  I had a lot to tell Savio and Jack about my visit in Morningside.  Jack wanted to know how everyone was and I tried not to show my surprise when he specifically inquired about Jillian.  I told him she was well but was not very happy living in Morningside, she still wanted to go home.  Both her sister, Brean, and I told her going back she would not find things the same, her parents and grandma were gone.  She could not go back in time and find things the same. I added that she was still living alone on the houseboat (stressing the word alone) and that, at her suggestion, a Bed & Breakfast hostel was built not far from the mountain pass.  Jack's only comment was that it might be a good idea if others, especially the miners, spend some time resting and recuperation in Morningside.  The conversation ended when I suggested he take a break and go down and see the place for himself.

While I was gone a smoking shed was built and I looked forward to some quick and easy to prepare summer meals of smoke fish and bread.  Emalina, the trader, brought bread, apples, and some wool.  He confirmed what the smith had said about the trade value of better quality tools.  Steel tools would be worth 16 compared to 12 for the iron ones.  We were already mining for coal for the smith to use for steel tools and an alchemist tower was being built so iron tools already made could be strengthened into steal tools also.  The tower was a very impressive looking building when it was finished.

Sunrise Mountain Mines was a very nice clean looking town especially when considering that it was a mining town.  The citizens were happy and healthy and we were surviving well by gathering, fishing, and hunting.  A tiny hunter was built south of town that would provide a steady supply of venison over the coming winter.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

Jack spent a lot of time before early spring of year 7 going over statistics in the town hall.  I knew he was concerned with our small work force and our food supply.  Other than roasted meat and smoked fish we had very little variety in our diet.  The apples and bread were long gone.  We also needed more wool for warm coats considering how much time we spent outside gathering branches and wild foods.

In spring 14 migrants arrived, 9 of them had enough of the cold mountain climate and continued on to the pass and Morningside.  The family of 4 plus 1 young adult male stayed here with us.  They stayed in the boarding house with Jack until more houses were built.

In early autumn Emalina, the trader, returned but only had a little bread and wool.  We took all he had and ordered more plus apples and potatoes.  He said he would do his best to get some.  After he left the weather again turned rainy, damp, and cold.  Again my daughter and I began having respiratory problems like before.  An early snowfall prevented us from returning to Morningside.  At least some of us had warm coats to wear now.

By late autumn the boarding house was empty and Jack again had the place to himself.  The newcomers gave Sunrise Mountain Mines a few more workers but also more young children and mouths to feed.  The population was 45, 23 adults, 2 students, and 20 young children.  My daughter and I were not the only ones under the weather, overall health had also dropped.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

In early spring of year 8 Jack decided we needed to trade for more foods than Emalina was bringing.  We also had a surplus of leather and hide coats that Emalina would not take in trade, he would only take tools.  A general goods trading post was built and Savio told me that Jack had some of the gold ore taken from his mini warehouse to use for trade also.  Our tool production would soon stop if we did not get more iron.  Jack had again been taking long walks alone and determined that the closest surface iron was a long way away, way over where the small stream led to the mountain pass.  He instructed one of the coal miner to bring up iron ore instead, and the other miner would work in the ore furnace smelting the ore into usable iron for the smith.  The gold mine also only had 1 miner who was now looking for more rough gemstones instead of gold ore.

An old apothecary was built near the town hall, our overall health had been dropping.  I knew Jack was concerned for our health but I was concerned for his. He was not eating good and he was spending too much time alone.  He was trading away his gold treasure, the reason we came here in the first place.  When the gemsmith said there were no more green stones to polish, Jack told him to just polish whatever gemstones he had.  Savio told me there were now sapphires and amber in the mini warehouse but more gold ore was being taken out.  When I told Savio I was concerned over Jack's behavior, he told me he thought Jack was trying to work something out in his mind, and I should just leave him be, he would work it out himself.

In early autumn Emalina returned and took tools in exchange for bread and wool.  Kartez, another general goods merchant, arrived at the new port at the same time.  He had only a few items with him and nothing that we needed, but we ordered apples, bread, potatoes, and wool from him too. He said he would take the leather, hide coats, and gold ore in trade but added that the gold would be worth more if it was smelted into bars.  The weather turned cool and damp after the trade merchants left.  Again my daughter and I began suffering poor health because of it.  We would leave for Morningside before winter set in.

Abandoned

Chapter 9

Magdalia and I returned from Morningside in early spring with a sack full of delicious pastries and news of all that had changed there since our last visit.  I extended the invitation to visit, and Sandyn and Monserra were eager to go down for a few days.  I would return the favor of watching over their 4 children, 3 of them would be in school.  My Magdalia would be starting school next year, hopefully she could sit in on classes in Morningside when we were there so as not to miss too much schooling.

Jack seemed interested in all I had to say about the changes in Morningside, but seemed a bit surprised when I said Jillian was still living in the houseboat.  Jack made no comment but later he ask if Savio and I were happy together and if we were happy remaining in Sunrise Mtn Mines consider the lack of workers, food, and the harsh climate.  I was not happy with where this conversation seemed to be leading.  Monserra said Jack had asked her and Sandyn the same questions.

Emalina arrived in early summer and took tools in exchange for apples and wool.  By late summer a smelter had been built and Jack had more of the gold ore taken from his mini warehouse to be smelted in gold bars.  He was going to trade away his treasure for food for us.  Both traders arrived in autumn and a trade was made with Emalina for apples, potatoes, and wool.  Kartez had bread.  He said the gold bars would have a trade value of 8 but if we really wanted to make a profit, we should make jewelry.  There were people in the bigger towns that would travel here to buy quality jewelry.  Before I left with my daughter for Morningside, a jeweler was already being built.  Jack's gems would be made into jewelry.

Whether it was because of the apothecary or the increase in the quantity of foods that included fruits and bread, the overall health of the citizens of Sunrise was back up to 100%.  Neither could help the respiratory problems that my daughter and I suffered from every autumn and the early snow did not help either.  Although the change of climate for those few winter months did help a great deal, this year I was reluctant to go.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

I did not know, but suspected, that Jack wanted to leave Sunrise.  When I returned from Morningside in early spring of year 10, Savio told me that Jack had been instructing him and Sandyn on the running of Sunrise Mountain Mines.  Tools, gold, gems, and jewelry (his treasure) should easily keep us supplied with food and anything else we might need to live happy and healthy in Sunrise.  And we could always visit Morningside, if we chose to stay.  Jack was also leaving us the houseboat, if we chose to go.  He did not say where he was going but he was building a boat.  I thought Savio knew more than he was saying.

Sunrise Mountain Mines would not be the same without Jack.  He built it from nothing to what it is today, from a simple wood boarding house and a pair of 2-story rowhouses into a trading center for quality tools and jewelry.   Well, he did have a little help.  Sunrise's population grew from us 4 adults plus Jack to 47 citizens, 25 adults, 5 students, and 17 young children, and we all still miss him.

But, weary traveler, you didn't come here to talk about Jack, you came up from Morningside to look over our selection of gems and jewelry.  Don't worry, you have plenty of time before you have to go back, your ship won't sail until after breakfast, with the morning tide.

The End

Abandoned

Sorry, nothing new to add, just posting to arrange Trilogy stories in the correct order.

Abandoned

Sorry, nothing new is being added here.  This post is being done to arrange stories back in number order.  As you know, many of the stories are connected to the previous story or the following one and thus should follow one after the other.  These stories are now being locked.  Addition comments may be made on the thread for the featured mod itself, and comments on currant story and featured mods are always welcome.  Thank you