Author Topic: Microtown Review (Edited Sept 12)  (Read 128 times)

Offline Scoots Circus

• Newb
  • Where-ever I go, there I am.
Microtown Review (Edited Sept 12)
« on: September 04, 2019, 09:20:14 AM »
This game is a hoot. It had me laughing and smiling.
It's like Arcades from the late 70's/early 80's mixed with Commodore 64/Atari home consoles. Like the first football/baseball/soccer games.

The Sandbox mode with Unlocked Tech Tree option is exactly Banished.
Monument Mode (Goal Mode) with Starter Tech Tree option is like Anno/Settlers. Says everyone. I have not played those games so I'll take their opinion as truth.

It's only been out since Aug 30 on Steam but a lot is in the game and much more is to come given what the Developer has said on the Steam Store Page and through-out the Forum Page.

Some people may pass on it however since battles will soon be included. However it may be a toggled option.

Right now the only obvious, and frustrating, missing feature is the missing zoom feature for the map.

For under $10 Canadian it is worth it. Especially since it will get better.
You'll HAVE to like the graphics though.
You've been warned !!! LOL

(EDIT Sept 6) I have been playing for a day or so now. Currently this is like Banished stripped down. For good review videos see Katherine Of Sky on YouTube.

Very easy to botch things early if you build more than your starting supplies allow. Though food is consumed you have to work hard to kill your people LOL. Getting things started while still having food is very easy. For now!!

Production chains are plentiful and still being added. Pretty much carbon copy of Banished and Colonial Charter Mod.

You can easily get ahead of your population growth in building production chains but then you build houses and people migrate in. There are no births and so far no deaths (so building the cemetery is pointless until combat gets working).

There is Happiness and Unhappiness factors. Build radius restrictions so that Taverns, Markets and Healers cannot be clumped together which makes town districts a necessity or your people spend a lot of time travelling which kills production.

Unfortunately (imo) there are no seasons yet so when Gardeners and Farmers are started they continue to harvest non-stop.

The map is a big island (3 sizes) with grassland, flowers, rock, sand, clay, iron ore, coal, trees, well water as resources. No hills (yet). So far the glass production is for the Monument Goal Mode, for the monument obviously (can only build one for bragging rights), but otherwise useless (for now).

One thing has really stood out for me. I have noticed that the game does not slow down a computer once a Town gets to 300+ like Banished does. However, when panning over full sections of the map there is a graphic stutter or two in the screen pre-load. With Banished my computer fan always sped right up and the frame rate bottomed-out once population reached 250-300. I could never zoom-out to "see the world" at high populations in Banished. Not with Microtown, that's for sure.

NEW Sept 12 Time speed-up is now a toggled option along with Tab pressing for speed bursts. The road building tech tree has been added to, making dirt, stone and brick options. Which gives the brick-maker tech tree something more to do than just contribute to the monument.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:02:58 PM by Scoots Circus »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk