Author Topic: Just a great game...now with mods  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Monterico

• Newb
Just a great game...now with mods
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
So I played this game back on the Xbox 360 and now I have a new copy on the PC and with all the mods just wow. I started a new series on it recently
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2NZzDrzXcUuK3np2N2RcEphn6Lx8NLGP

Offline canis39

• Vendor
Re: Just a great game...now with mods
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »
Hey, we have a Skyrim subforum now. Who knew?

I have about 800 hours in Skyrim, with about 80 mods combined between Steam Workshop and Nexus. I'm taking a break to try some other games but I recently picked up the Legendary Edition so I am planning to get back in at some point.  (It is not entirely clear to me if the regular edition and the Legendary edition can coexist on one PC...but I may find out!)

I will definitely check out your YouTube videos!

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »
I never played Skyrim when it came out, but at the beginning of the year I bought the Elder Scrolls Anthology.  My husband and I have started back on Arena.  We loved Arena when it came out but could never finish it because it crashed so often in the later game.  He's now finished Arena twice, although I have only gotten about halfway through once because Banished came out.  Anyway, my point is that Skyrim is in the anthology so presumably I will eventually play it.  And I just realized that the Morrowind editor may work better now!   :D

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »
A group of modders is attempting to remake Morrowind using the Skyrim engine:

http://tesrenewal.com/skywind-faq

Oblivion was the first TES game I played and I liked it. Skyrim...well, 800 hours sort of speaks for itself. It's amazing how many mods there are that turn it into a completely different game.

Offline Ryohei

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »
It is an awesome game, and one which I keep returning to. My current character is a Level 33 Breton, who has been smithing his way around Skyrim & now has Smithing skill at level 82. Accompanied by the faithful Lydia of Dragonsreach, he wanders the length and breadth of Skyrim, making & enchanting armour and weapons for sale to his clientele (in between bashing dragons....)

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »
I haven't played Skyrim since...well, let's check Steam and find out...ah, since February 23rd.  But I've found myself thinking about it lately.  I can see myself returning sometime soon.  In the meantime I picked up the Legendary Edition in a Steam sale, so I think I may uninstall the regular edition and start over with the Legendary Edition (enhanced by mods, of course!).  With mods, it is such a ridiculously fun game.

Offline Mahnogard

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »
I haven't played Skyrim since...well, let's check Steam and find out...ah, since February 23rd.  But I've found myself thinking about it lately.  I can see myself returning sometime soon.  In the meantime I picked up the Legendary Edition in a Steam sale, so I think I may uninstall the regular edition and start over with the Legendary Edition (enhanced by mods, of course!).  With mods, it is such a ridiculously fun game.

I go back to Skyrim quite a lot - whenever I start missing it, which is at least every few months or so. I then spend a good 2 to 3 hours setting up mods (including looking at any new ones that came out since the last time), and another half hour creating my character before I even start playing. :D I rarely take my characters as far as I used to, but I still enjoy it. Just fired it up for a bit last week, in fact. I'd be playing it more if not for all these Banished mods beckoning me, plus a Fallout 3 playthrough I felt compelled to start the other day (also well-modded, of course).

Even after all this time, I'm still hunting for the perfect player house mod outside of those that mod the vanilla homes. So far the closest is Ranger Cabins, but they aren't navmeshed and I suck at navmeshing so I can't fix them myself.

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
I really liked the build-your-own-house mod, I forget what it's actually called, but it's modular; you get to decide which rooms to build so it can be different each time you play.

Offline Mahnogard

• Trader
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
I really liked the build-your-own-house mod, I forget what it's actually called, but it's modular; you get to decide which rooms to build so it can be different each time you play.

I think I know the one you're talking about. It's a great mod. I find I like simple homes for my "out of town" home(s). Just cook pot (love cooking in Skyrim), alchemy, a bed, some decent storage and maybe a basic smithing setup outside. Or room for me to set up the Portable Campsite versions of those items.

For my in-town homes, I like the TNF (The Noble Family) series of mods, and Breezehome is still my favorite, though Honeyside is a close second due to having the external exit door and being on the water.

I have Hearthfire installed, but my favorite location for most characters would be Heljarchen, and it's the one that takes the longest to get (level 20 quest all the way in Dawnstar).

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
Well, darn.  I remember now why I never bought Skyrim.  It requires Steam activation.  I guess I never will play the game.

Offline canis39

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »
Yep, Skyrim was actually the game that got me using Steam. I bought the physical DVD-ROM but then it hardly installed anything, and instead pointed me to Steam. I had no idea what was going on! But 703 hours of gameplay later...suffice it to say it was worth it for me.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
I have the physical DVD but it won't install without installing Steam.   >:(

Offline rkelly17

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »
I have the physical DVD but it won't install without installing Steam.   >:(

That's exactly how Civ 5 got me into Steam--I really cannot resist the latest Civ, which is also what causes me to upgrade my computers. I am seriously addicted. At least Civ 5, unlike the new Sim City until recently, did not require me to be on-line to play. I can't say I've come to love Steam--tolerate would be more accurate. The Civ 5 workshop is way better than the Banished workshop, which I do not use. The fora on Steam are mostly mindless drivel.

Offline Mahnogard

• Trader
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
That's exactly how Civ 5 got me into Steam--I really cannot resist the latest Civ, which is also what causes me to upgrade my computers. I am seriously addicted. At least Civ 5, unlike the new Sim City until recently, did not require me to be on-line to play. I can't say I've come to love Steam--tolerate would be more accurate. The Civ 5 workshop is way better than the Banished workshop, which I do not use. The fora on Steam are mostly mindless drivel.

Civ V is actually the only game I use the Workshop with. Every other game I mod, I use either Nexus or other sites. I am not a fan of the Workshop at all. Even when it's working properly, it's subject to some modders doing silly things and breaking your save with a bad update or other problem. Plus, and I am probably being judgmental here, I see a weird sort of entitlement springing up around Workshop, as though modders "owe" users Workshop versions of mods, and game devs "owe" them Workshop integration. Makes me sad, and makes me feel old, because I really want to say, "I used to have to switch floppies 16 times just to play the Wolfenstein demo. Shut up. And get off my lawn."

I don't mind Steam. Especially compared to, say, Uplay. I used to hate Origin but it's improved a lot since I started using it (Mass Effect series got me using it to begin with), and they have the "on the house" games now, and I'm a fan of free games. :D Uplay, however, is irredeemable in my mind.

I definitely understand why a lot of people prefer to buy discs and be done with it. I, however, had to replace Civ III, AoE and RoN more than once (more than twice, actually) due to disc failures, lost discs, etc. I'm not good with discs. At all. Steam is great for me in that respect.

Offline slink

• Founder
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
You had Castle Wolfenstein on floppies???  We had to use cassette tapes.  Well, honestly I don't recall if we had Castle Wolffenstein on cassette tapes, but my husband had Battle for Normandy on a cassette tape.  It is what got him into breaking software protection, just so he could fix a bug in their BASIC and save it to floppy.

I would far rather type in a 16- or even 24-digit code than play a game that won't run without an Internet connection.  I feel like asking people who chirp in that "you only need it for a minute and then you can play offline" which part of "without" they failed to understand.  I don't at the moment have the problem, but there used (as in less than five years ago) to be times when we had no Internet connection at all.  I had one youthful ... person ... tell me that I needed to move where there were more reliable Internet connections if I wanted to be able to play modern games.  I like where I live, so I guess I'll stay in the gaming Dark Ages.   ;D